• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2008 Florida Steel Soldiers Rally Feb 21-24th

devilman96

TEE SHIRTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!! GET YOURS TODAY!!!http://www.odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=41

WARNING!!! 02/12/08 We have had an EXCESSIVE amount of rain in the past few weeks and the property is WET WET WET. I suggest bring appropriate provisions such as ground tarps for your tentage, etc, etc, etc!!!

I've received a few emails asking about the 2008 SS Florida Rally... Yes!.... Its on!

As with last year the event will be held in Clermont Florida on a few hundred acres of private property (we actually got more!) and will run Feb 21st thru Feb 24th (Thurs - Sun). Im making it a day longer this time to encourage out of towners whom need a few days of R&R before hitting the road again to travel home... As with last year showing up earlier isn't a problem provided arrangements are made in advance.

Guys this is a great event for a family vacation as its located 35 miles west of Disney world and the Orlando attraction areas. Plan plan plan!!!

All camping is primitive... If you need it, you bring it.... RV's and travel trailers are welcome...

Pets are welcome... Mind the wild animals and or anything else they can get into.

ATV's, carts, etc are welcome...

It's a family event so bring what you like but please keep your head about yourself!

Firewood is everywhere so please... burn it!

Change / plans for this years event will include the following...

VENDORS... Please... your welcome to come and we would love to have you... Any co sponsors as well!!!

OD Iron LLC will be sponsoring the event this year but we will also have a 10$ per head entry fee... Yes... bummer... I know... But I forked out a substantial amount last year and will happily do so again however I would like to improve upon the event, which I cant do alone. This includes everything from food to camping so its a pretty good bang for the buck.

We will have port a potties... (I know...I know... I know) but see... your 10$ just bought you a place to sit rather than squat... lol

Were debiting a convoy just to do it... (aka scare the locals into thinking were invading) Depending the turn out of SS Georgia members we may be inclined to drive up there and kidnap a few!!! If we can drive... YOU can drive too!

An extended version of a trail ride providing mother nature and dry land permit...

Mud... mud... and more mud... Its a swamp... what do you expect?

We will have a more "formalized" shooting range with instruction / range master and class 3 demonstrations... Of course all Class 3 owners (bring your stamp) as well as ALL firearm owners are welcome to bring out your toys. (class 3 be machine guns to the common folks) This time the range will be open on Sat afternoon 3-6pm and will be a sight to see... Chuck Boelt63A will be the range master for the event... What ever he says goes, no questions, if and's or buts, its about safety first!!!

yes... I know there is a machine guns shoot up the road on the same weekend... and no... we dont care and are not going to move the events weekend... we have both MV's and class 3's so were better!! LOL

Were adding space... aka camp site clearings...

Thanks to Kenny (Recovry4x4) we will have two GP Mediums set up for a main stomping ground / base camp / dinning hall.

Friday night will undoubtedly be a pig roast... I know better than to wait for everyone to confirm first (cause ya don't)

Sat will be a BBQ in the afternoon... Chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, small pets, etc...

Sunday... Were debating breakfast...

Rally tee shirts for 2008!

We will be having a best in show in two classes (US, Euro)... Judging will be done based upon popular audience vote.

Ticket raffle for parts, prizes, shirts, etc... Any and all proceeds from the event will go directly to Steel Soldiers!!!

I have a few volunteers so far for the event (3)... I need a total of about 6 to make things a little easier on the functions and organization. If anyone would like to step up to the plate and help out please contact me and let me know your talents.

Directions, maps, GPS... Same as last years shing'ding... You can drive or fly... and no... I don't know Knut! +28° 24' 28.41", -81° 51' 49.04"

Print your directions... http://www.google.com/maps?q=+28°+24'+28.41",+-81°+51'+49.04+

Detailed map with signs... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/tapics/map/map detail.jpg

Area overview map... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/tapics/map/map overview.jpg

2007 event photos and turn out information can be seen on this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....tdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=florida+round

The rules for the event are simple...

All firearms are to be kept SECURE in your vehicles except for during use in the RANGE AREA. NFA's bring your stamps!

Be respectful of fellow MV'ers, pets, children and native wildlife (especially young trees)

Mind designated "no drive" areas

Have fun, enjoy yourself and be safe!

As time rolls on I will edit this posting to include event turn out and vehicle information... Thus far I have confirmed...

Devilman96(host) M35-1/3 and M35A2
Recovery4x4 (volunteer) M35A2
Boelt63A (volunteer) Pinz 712
Pinz25086 (volunteer) Pinz 710
ajg6989
Gillean M1009
vinny-socom1 M35 1/3 (volunteer)
GunTruckBuilder F450 and camper <<<that's cheatin!
citizensoldier (bring syurp for sale and raffle)
sak00 M35A2
Greybird
dc3coyote Pinz 710
BBF
pinzpirate 710 (volunteer)
Poppop
Russ Pinz 710 (Real 4x4's Pinzgauer and C303 Forums member)
Rene Mog of Doom! (Real 4x4's Pinzgauer and C303 Forums member)
Wayne 710 (Real 4x4's Pinzgauer and C303 Forums member)
Clinto With a deuce or mule or somethin!
tjcouch M715/M35
appnut1 M35A2 WoW
CliffW M35A2

... and no were NOT calling it The FL Treffen!!!

FAQ

Q: Do I need to bring my own water? EDITED

A: Yes you do, were hoping someone (prolly me) comes up with a water buffalo but the current standing is, if you need ANYTHING at all… ya better bring it!!! Update... We will have a 275 gallon suppy on site which can be refilled for washing and what not.

Q: What is the weather like in FL during Feb?

A: It’s hard to predict, it can go from 75 during the day down to 25 at night. Or can be as high as 90 with the same low temps... FL is incredibly unpredictable this time of year, especially in the central areas. Last year we were graced with high 70's and high 50's... I’m hoping for the same thing!!!

Q: What about bugs? EDITED

A: Totally depends on the weather... During the summer Vietnam jungles are a better place to be, if we have good lows (below 60) life is grand, if we don’t, bring a machine gun, you will need it. USUALLY it's not an issue in Feb but I prefer my repellants to have a Deet level of over 95% just in case. UPDATE: As of Jan 5th the bug problem will be zero... THe cold has taken them out...

Q: Can I post this on other MV boards, invite my buddies, Non SS members etc?

A: Yes by all means feel free to post a link on another site or invite other MV'ers to the event.

Q: How remote is the area? EDITED

A: God's country... I over heard someone describe the drive out to the property as... You go from paved road, to a dirt road, to an un-maintained dirt road, to a grassed over path, to no path at all, to a cow pasture and then into the scrub... Pretty good description! It gets so bad I feel the need to paint directional arrows on the ground with turf paint and put up a lot of signs and arrows to keep everyone pointed in the right direction. UPDATE: Due to the purchase of a grader the road situation is VASTLY improved!!!

Q: Can or will my RV / civilian auto make it out to the event?

A: Yes... The roads out are rough but you can drive down them, guys with long trailers seem to have the worse time due to negating turns and getting through the gates. Otherwise your average car is fine, it's just bumpy getting there.

Q: Is power available... EDITED

A: Ha.. ha... ha *snort, cough, choke*... yeah sure the Lead Acid and horse power types!! UPDATE We will have a 14KW gen set on site and running for a few hours each day

Q: Can I bring / run a gen set?

A: Yes, but pending the volume of the set we may ask you to shut it off after 10pm and or set aside a area for guys with RV's and gen sets to set up away from the tents and the likes... I HATE rules and overly organizing things so we will toss this into the "common sense" category.

Q: Is there a hotel near?

A: Yes and no... Their about 30 miles away towards Kissimmee, FL, its reasonable... and the same goes for Wal-Mart, Lowes, AutoZone, etc...

Q: Do phones work there...

A: it depends on your carrier... Sprint seems to work ok; Verizon works from a tree top at night (ask me how I know). Its hit and miss otherwise.

Q: What are the camp sites like?

A: We designate nothing, you can be as close to everyone or as far from everyone as you like and there is enough room for several hundred (no joke)To each their own, do it your own way, Hammock, tree, truck, cot, tent, RV, travel trailer, ground, were not at all picky. Kick the sticks out of the way, mind the cow pies and set up at your leisure.

Q: Are emergency services available...

A: No... We have EMT's, LEO's, and medical professionals amongst us but the event it's self and the people coming do not offer or lay claim to providing any type of professional services to anyone. You come at your own risk! Someone will call 911 and you will prolly get air lifted being so remote so be careful.

Q: What is the terrain like...? EDITED

A: Camping is Florida scrub and pine; I generally clear out and mow of a pretty big area for camp sites amongst the pines. The property offers some pretty good off roading in the mud and we try and clear out trails and the likes for puttin around with out breaking your vehicles. If your intent on burring your truck in muck it will happen. If your there to get a little drive time and not destroy your vehicle that will happen to. Most of the area is cattle land surrounded by pine, scrub and wetlands so there is diversity to the area. Mostly it's quiet and peacful native Florida land at its best.

mangus580

I would suspect the stomach of some 'nature'

I am gonna make an attempt at coming this year..... we will see how it goes.

Bill W

Dang
The First Florida Chapter MVPA 3rd annual rally at Belleview is on the 8th- 10th of Feb, I can't make it down for both and I already commited to the Rally

kcimb

Aggh.....always while I'm gone...

You guys take some good pics like the 07 rally for me!

Devilman..I would just like to go on the record as finding your avatar incredibly humorous.

citizensoldier

Now if I could just find a good deal on a Pinzguar so i have something to drive while there. Thanks for doing this again Dman.. I will probably be there. The only thing that could change this would be the weather and my sap run here in Michigan. I missed the main run last year because of being in Fl.. This is ok because I was visiting my gramps but has cut into my income.. No syrup to sell..
If all goes well I would be down early enough to help out and ease your burden a little..Might even have the wife with me! She loved the pictures from last year and this helped me persuade her from a M38A1 to a Pinzguar.. But I have not been able to find one close and in our price range yet.

devilman96

Mike- do you mind if I post the invite on the Pinz board?
By all means please extend the invitation to anyone in the MV community!!!

Is it pre pay or when we get there?
Im going to set up a pre pay for this, it helps with head counts and knowing how many were going to have.

I have ajg6989 for showing and Wayne for a voulenteer...

tjcouch

I really wanted to make it last year . . . but was not comfortable with the condition of the truck to drive it that far. This year is looking much better - I'll have the braking system rehabbed by then!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike. you have room to take my tent since Me and my Chili-Mac have been banned from the property?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No showers? Come on man, you have no idea what I am gonna smell like by Day #3.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tap or well water in FL is over 70 degrees so any water is a hot shower. Just the same I'd bet we can come up with something to keep us all from looking and smelling homeless ( like I did Sunday at the GA rally). I know I can scare up another 275 gallon tote for water. Just have to have Mike take it up since I'm banned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks