• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help with High altitude

crike2000

I just bought an M37 with the original engine. It was in running conditon when I bought it. We drove it into the trailer in Reno. Then when I got it back to Colorado Springs it started and ran for 5 minutes then died. I pushed it into the garage cleaned off the spark plugs because they were fouled. But haven't been able to get it to start. With the choke pulled a 1/4in out I get some combustion.

Colorado Springs, Colorado :nono:

fredwc1

Hi, I am also in Reno (4300 ft) should be pretty close to the 'Springs in alt. I would 1) make sure the points haven't closed up and are lubed 2) check the plugs again after trying to restart w/o choke and see if wet or dry. The float and needle & seat on the carbs are a bit twitchy, esp after a bouncy trailer ride down those velvet smooth Nevada / Utah highways! Randy drove that critter often so it should be good to go mostly as is. My M37 is running stock jetting but I have found that if driving around town I need to pull the choke out about 1/4" to allow for smooth throttle for drive away then off for cruise. I have rebuilt my carb and put on a new top cover with the accel. pump vaciuum chamber in it. But even with that it is a bit lean on drive off hence the choke. Other people around the country have done the same thing as well.

crike2000

I'm at about 7000ft a little higher than Reno. What do you mean by lube the points? I put new points in it, turned the engine till the points were on a high point on the distributer cam and set it to .020". I then cleaned the plugs again. I tried starting with out the choke and the started pulling the choke out slowly while cranking it. at about a 1/4 of an inch out I would get a little combustion but not enough to turn over.

I know it will run. I'm probably going to have to get some of my car bubbies that are good with engines to help me. I figured the M37 would be easy to learn on, I have done just about everything else on a truck, but engines and want to learn them too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks