Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted Driving

Thanks

i run two cameras in my car facing front and rear, i need one on the truck asap.

what cameras can handle 24v? (regarding mike929's post)
    1992 923A2 - Modified fuel plate and 5th gear, modified high flow intake, no muffler help to boost HP and allow me to get to around 67-70 mph!
    Mods to come may include paint work, wicked wheel on the turbo, waste gate mods, larger exhaust and try to see if i can get a Jake Brake installed!
    Photo Album of truck: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=3901

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 924 Posts

You can go the way I'm going and use conventional building cctv cameras, they nomally support 12-24v and both ac/dc...
    Legal Disclaimer: My comments on this board are based on my personal experiences and life lessons - I speak as a private party, not as the official or un-official representative of any entity, organization, religion, enterprise, government. Don't try this at home. Your mileage may vary. Model shown includes options. Past performance does not reflect actual capability or intelligence, and often doesn't reflect reality. I'm off my meds. Don't listen to a darn thing I say, you've been warned!

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tim292stro View Post
    Good reminder to pay attention to our own driving (because it's not us we need to worry about, it's the other people, right?), and well done 98G on the evasive maneuvers to avoid becoming directly involved in the collision, and letting him live to learn something from this.

Another reminder we can take away from this is a little lesson on vehicle dynamics.

Your tires have a certain amount of traction given the coefficient of friction for the rubber compound and the surface it's in contact with, along with the size of the contact patch and the weight on the patch. When you steer, brake, or accelerate, the weight of the vehicle will shift away from the direction of force applied to the vehicle (steer left, weight transfers right, brake and weight transfers forwards).

The above is important to remember if you find yourself in a situation where a tire or two leave the pavement. The coefficient of friction for dirt, grass, or gravel is about and order of magnitude less than that of pavement. If you make a rapid steering input to steer away from the shoulder of the road, your weight will transfer away from the steering input meaning that your vehicle's weight will transfer to the tire(s) with the least traction.

In performance driving, there is a concept of "the circle of traction" - which is to say that for any given tire patch, coefficient of friction, and weight on the patch you will have a certain sized circle which represents your available traction or adhesive limit. If you apply force against that circle you must stay within the boundaries of that circle to retain grip on the road - go outside the circle and you start sliding.

If you turn sharply while tires are on a low traction surface, your circle gets much smaller, so you need to impart smaller forces to your vehicle controls to remain in traction and control of the vehicle's path. This means that if you put a tire or two off the pavement at speed you need to slowly correct your line to get back on the road - this could result is you going off the road completely first. Remember that if you also panic and release your foot from the accelerator pedal, the weight will transfer forwards meaning there is less grip on your rear tires, so if you make a rapid steering input the rear tires are more likely to step out (oversteer/spin-out).

The key is to not panic if you screw up, think it through, and understand what the vehicle is doing and telling you. If you need to swerve to avoid something on pavement, give the maximum circle of traction to each step of your swerve. Brake first to transfer weight forwards, release the brakes and steer away from the hazard, straighten out and brake again to retransfer the weight forwards, then steer to grab the next lane (so you don't run off the road) straightened out again and then brake to a stop. It seems like a lot of work and steps, but realize the alternative is sliding into something/someone, or rolling over.

Even for you guys with ABS trucks, you should still learn threshold braking, the point of maximum braking force before the tires start to slip/scrub - this is even before ABS kicks in when the wheels stop spinning from being locked up. You need to know how far you can push your brakes.

I'd rather know what the vehicle CAN DO, than have my vehicle protect me from what it can't do. It's my opinion that the modern safety systems are quickly relieving the interest and concern of the driver to the hazards and responsibilities of driving...
    As a full-time driving instructor, this is EXCELLENT!!

Full ABS brake engagement will take a longer distance to come to a stop than threshold braking; a popular myth is that ABS engagement will stop you on a dime, that is NOT true!

Always know where your escape route is; typically your open blind spot (unoccupied blind spot) is your escape route, so if you have to immediately brake & steer to avoid hitting someone, this will typically use your open (unoccupied) blind spot.

Outstanding post!!! Thank you!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to silverstate55 For This Useful Post:

98G (10-09-2015), peteybabes (10-09-2015), Shirehorse (01-14-2016), tim292stro (10-09-2015), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (10-09-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverstate55 View Post
    As a full-time driving instructor, this is EXCELLENT!!

Full ABS brake engagement will take a longer distance to come to a stop than threshold braking; a popular myth is that ABS engagement will stop you on a dime, that is NOT true!

Always know where your escape route is; typically your open blind spot (unoccupied blind spot) is your escape route, so if you have to immediately brake & steer to avoid hitting someone, this will typically use your open (unoccupied) blind spot.

Outstanding post!!! Thank you!
    Brings me back to my classes i have taken for defensive driving at Mid-Ohio School
    1992 923A2 - Modified fuel plate and 5th gear, modified high flow intake, no muffler help to boost HP and allow me to get to around 67-70 mph!
    Mods to come may include paint work, wicked wheel on the turbo, waste gate mods, larger exhaust and try to see if i can get a Jake Brake installed!
    Photo Album of truck: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=3901

2 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteybabes View Post
    i run two cameras in my car facing front and rear, i need one on the truck asap.

what cameras can handle 24v? (regarding mike929's post)
    Might be easier to look for something USB powered and find a 24V to USB unit. Wider selection.

I'm currently battling the 2nd round of a Pyle system that's not working right, so I can't recommend even though the first round was likely my fault.

3 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike929 View Post
    I run a camera system on the front of my daily driver these days. I have managed to brake and/or avoid multiple bad drivers so far, but it feels good to have video that shows what happened if I can't brake fast enough or avoid the bad driver.
    If you like it, please post what you are running.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf13 View Post
    Sunroofs are like vacuum cleaners, when cars begin to roll. I don't know why but I've seen more people "exit the vehicle" via them then any other window. He's extremely lucky you were there to apply pressure and control his movements. Too often individuals, in shock, wander off and get struck by passing vehicles or are difficult for EMTs to locate and quickly render aid to.
    Well that's kinda why they have seat belts.....
    1971 M35A2 WO/W

"...Mongo just pawn in game of life."

Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit,
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wreckerman893 View Post
    Driver inattention, excessive speed, no seatbelts=bad juju.

A state trooper buddy of mine told me that he had never been to a wreck with a fatality where the seat belts were in use. With the air bags they have now and the high speed restraint systems in cars today it is stupid not to use seat belts.
    I've been on wrecks where the seat were in use, and the occupant still died. Sometimes there's just too much momentum for a human body to handle. And I've seen some of the older door mounted seat belts release the occupant when the door was popped open from a severe impact.
    1971 M35A2 WO/W

"...Mongo just pawn in game of life."

Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit,
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,260 Times in 7,687 Posts

Default REPEATING: Distracted Driving Kills

Yup....
    Distracted Driving Kills alright.

Here's a common sequence of events....

1. Distracted driving.

2. Sudden situational awareness WITHOUT time or inclination to think before reacting.

3. OVERCORRECTION ! ! !

4. Vehicle and occupants attempt to defy the LAWS OF INERTIA.....

5. SPONTANEOUS Vehicle ROLLOVER as rotated vehicle, still with momentum along the same line of travel, is now sideways to that direction of travel when the tires reestablish traction causing vehicle to begin flipping.

6. Protective Cabin Design FAILURE and resulting loss of protective value and EJECTION of unrestrained persons and property.

7. DEATH, Dismemberment, and Destruction......

Now for the visual of all that........

And now, in a larger vehicle similar to our LARGE MV's......

How about the INSIDE EXPERIENCE.....

Any questions???

Carry on. -----> AFTER you fasten your seatbelts and secure all loose items in the cabin.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

98G (10-11-2015), infidel got me (10-11-2015), jeffhuey1n (05-31-2017), SCSG-G4 (10-12-2015), silverstate55 (03-12-2016)

MVPA
    Fla Mvpa
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 663 Posts

Hopefully an eye opener for non wearing seatbelt drivers
    Thanks
    WILL
    Thin skin need not apply

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast