• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted Driving

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While driving home from work one day several years ago, I got into some heavy traffic. I was approaching a lighted intersection and realized the people in front of me weren't driving smart. They were approaching the intersection at speed but when the light turned yellow, they sped up. This led to much slamming on the brakes. I was the 10th or so vehicle back from the intersection in my 2003 Chevy one ton dually. I had kept my distance from the person in front of me and started slowing down for the upcoming light change. I had to stop a little short because I would have stopped in the middle of an intersection. I got stopped but the kid behind me was way too close. I watched him drive up under the back of my truck. His engine stopped him from going all the way under, my hitch took a ding and the bumper was messed up but nothing critical. Once things quieted down, I jumped from the truck and ran back to see the results. He hit my hitch, which peeled back his hood and set off the airbags. When the hitch hit the engine it forced the car backwards out from under me. The kid was pretty groggy so I told him to stay in the car. I reached in and turned off the keys and tossed them up on the dash board. When I saw he wasn't going to expire, I told him to stay put. My truck had been pushed into the intersection blocking traffic and I had to move it for the emergency vehicles. Once done, I ran back to the kid, who had his cellphone firmly in his grip, and told him to call his parents. I directed traffic until emergency vehicles arrived and gave my statement to the police. The ambulance was there and they wanted me to talk to the medics. I turned down treatment because I felt fine. I ended up going to the VA ER a couple hours later for severe back pain. But what really sucked was what happened to the kid. He was wearing braces on his teeth, the metal wired mouth manglers. When the airbag went off, it looked like his mouth took the full brunt of the bag.

NormB

When stationed in Germany years ago (Augsburg), I took the German driver's license test (the one with the awareness tests - how many cars are near you? Behind? Time, distance questions, coordination and reflexes with the little blunt-tipped screwdrivers, etc) and in the lectures there was much said about "attention." Lack of attentiveness being the cause of many if not most accidents.

In America, our police and ad agencies tell us "speed kills."

According to ADAC (Germany's equivalent of our AAA - I was a member for 3 years there), speed isn't the problem, attention - or lack thereof - IS.

On my 9 mile trip into work this morning, I passed no fewer than a half dozen people driving erratically, like they were drunk.

Wanna guess?

Texting, cell phones, conversations. Outside distractions.

I'll take speed ANY time over innattention, if only to get away from those morons before they kill someone.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a little hard to believe...... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...year-low-last-year-city-report-says-1.4110786!

""""""""Collisions on city streets hit at a 15-year low. The numbers show there were 23,139 collisions last year, a decrease of about nine per cent from the 25,517 collisions the year before.

Injury collisions were also down by 12.4 per cent from 3,033 in 2015 to 2,656 last year."""""""

I guess that congratulations are in order for my people but I attribute it to SLOW.......Folks driving slow in parking lots because they're texting, leaving the line at the green light slow because they're texting, driving down the highway slow because they're texting........It's still a problem but this new generation of kids and their crazy technology will certainly continue to communicate with the outside world every minute they can.....and the locals appear to be getting good at it. It's not just the kids that are lap facing...nooooo......all the old cool grandpa's and grandma's need to get their share of not driving. Getting on social media like the old man telling kids to 'get off my grass' and reminding them to "get into the right hand lane" should help a little.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3465726/distracted-driving-tickets-in-edmonton-up-nearly-60-over-this-time-last-year/
""""""""Edmonton police have handed out nearly 2,500 distracted driving tickets so far this year, a 57 per cent spike over the same time last year.

In the first quarter of 2017, 2,455 distracted driving tickets were issued to drivers in Edmonton. At this time last year, 1,560 tickets had been handed out.""""""

In general the country is sucking with increases across the board..... https://www.insauga.com/road-safety-campaign-puts-focus-on-distracted-driving

""""""""According to Ontario government statistics, deaths from distracted driving have doubled since 2000. Distracted driving-related injuries happen at an average rate of one person every half-hour."""""""

"""""""About 25 per cent of collisions in 2013 were related to distracted driving."""""""""

The link to all the Canadian stats https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/resources-researchstats-menu-847.htm

City council is actually pushing for a "Zero accident and incident"""" policy which should be a goal for every community, as unrealistic as it seems.

This driver training system states somewhere that "No Two Vehicles Shall Occupy The Same Space At The Same Time". That philosophy can solve a lot of problems. It's an online training course and a good one if you know someone with a distracted driving addiction they can't get rid of.

https://www.drivedifferent.com/

The U.S. stats database that you want to show every 16-19 year old before they drive. https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html

"""""""In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.[SUP]1[/SUP] That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries."""""

""""""Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.[SUP]1 """""""""
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/Distracted_Driving/index.html

Zero accidents in the MV community would be a nice treat this year. Be Safe out there folks!
[/SUP]

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on 5/19 I was struck by a vehicle, I was going 60 MPH, I don't know how fast the other vehicle was going, but it was fast enough to slide sideways into the rear of my vehicle, after he swerved into the right lane, overcorrected, lost control, and essentially PITed me......The vehicle I was in rolled a couple times, slid, then ended up upside down in a ditch.....

I walked away with some road rash, a mild concussion, and a shoulder injury from the seatbelt.....

Seatbelts save lives.....

Resized_20170519_232921-01.jpeg20170519_234033-01-2016x1512 (1).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The State of Texas just passed a state-wide ban on texting while driving....

http://sanangelolive.com/news/texas/2017-06-06/statewide-ban-texting-while-driving-signed-law
This is already illegal in NC. Day before yesterday I was out with my HMMWV on a 55 mph road. Came up on the right next to a slow left lane cruiser wearing NC House Member (#13) plates. Texting and driving. Hence the slow left lane driving. I yelled over (no doors for me!) to STOP TEXTING! The law is for you too ! He put the phone down and waved. Doesn't matter if they ban it. People are still people.

o1951

on 5/19 I was struck by a vehicle, I was going 60 MPH, I don't know how fast the other vehicle was going, but it was fast enough to slide sideways into the rear of my vehicle, after he swerved into the right lane, overcorrected, lost control, and essentially PITed me......The vehicle I was in rolled a couple times, slid, then ended up upside down in a ditch.....

I walked away with some road rash, a mild concussion, and a shoulder injury from the seatbelt.....

!
Glad you made it.
That is a bad one. I can't tell what you were driving.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 685549View attachment 685551
You are definitely a SURVIVOR !

What make and model vehicle was that before the new aerodynamic redesign???

Wire Fox

View attachment 685549View attachment 685551
I watched nearly this same collision happen right in front of me back in January. Road surfaces were a bit wet and the at-fault driver came ripping down the interstate on-ramp and neglected to look for vehicles already on the interstate. They bumped the right-side of the truck with right of way, then swerved right to break contact (an over-correct), swerved left to stay on the road (again, an overcorrect), then stomped on the gas and over-corrected right, slamming full force into the left side of the truck. I had stopped at the scene to check for injuries and give a statement to the responding police officer. I believe the at-fault driver had mentioned something about a small dog she had with her, and how that was her focus coming on the ramp...she never saw the truck until she hit it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched nearly this same collision happen right in front of me back in January. Road surfaces were a bit wet and the at-fault driver came ripping down the interstate on-ramp and neglected to look for vehicles already on the interstate. They bumped the right-side of the truck with right of way, then swerved right to break contact (an over-correct), swerved left to stay on the road (again, an overcorrect), then stomped on the gas and over-corrected right, slamming full force into the left side of the truck. I had stopped at the scene to check for injuries and give a statement to the responding police officer. I believe the at-fault driver had mentioned something about a small dog she had with her, and how that was her focus coming on the ramp...she never saw the truck until she hit it.
Sure you didn't witness mine? lolol

Untitled.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't prove that this driver was distracted but if YOU'RE distracted and this tank comes sliding at you..........I'm just saying!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WzEqB6PL9I
OK - We NEED a tanker to chime in here ! ! !

What in the world happened??? Did the starboard track lock-up?? Drive unit failure? Crazy Russian driver???

Inquiring mimes want to know!
mime.jpg

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK - We NEED a tanker to chime in here ! ! !

What in the world happened??? Did the starboard track lock-up?? Drive unit failure? Crazy Russian driver???

Inquiring mimes want to know!
View attachment 687751
Russians aren't exactly smart when it comes to driving. Watch a couple of videos of Russian driving and you'll wonder why they aren't still living in caves... I had a friend who visited one of the Southern Russian former territories and he said on average, it was normal to drink 12-18 shots a day, starting at breakfast... Personally, I'd feel safer in Afghanistan.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2018 Safety Reminder

Just received this picture of my buddy's 2001 Toyota Four Runner Limited that T-boned a jeep at highway speeds last night.

He's ok....the other vehicle ran a stop sign and my very sharp, fire fighter, situational aware friend never saw it. As per training, he helped three battered but not visibly bleeding occupants out of the over-turned jeep, identified extent of injuries, his location,,,,,then dialed 911. It was -26C so other drivers stopped to keep folks warm.

This is a brutal reminder why we scan every intersection for every potential collision these days, even if we're 'in the right'. "Look left then right at every light...and intersection"

My good friend got air-bagged in the face which can be felt in the groin apparently. He's ok for several reasons and I must point out the most important ones...

1) Hand position on steering wheel......He hangs on to his steering wheel hands low, around 4 and 8, when not in 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

Folks that hang on to the top of the steering wheel with their arm across the air-bag, break their arms on their faces, in collisions like this......don't forget that, and pass the info along. Many people I talk to still think the 3 and 9 position is just for vehicle control......talk to your kids with cars today!

2) His vehicle was bigger than the other vehicle. Choose your highway ride carefully!

3) Most of his gear was tied down. Loose objects can kill and in an suv blender, spinning around after an accident, may hit you more than once.

After ensuring he was ok, my second question to him was "What color is your Next Toyota Four Runner going to be?" Amazing survival vehicle!

Let's be super aware out there when we're driving this year folks. "Just Drive" messages coming from the MV community can only help to inspire others to focus a little harder in their 2 ton prized rides.

I can't say the other driver was on his phone or distracted. We only know they missed a STOP sign and these accidents can be avoided.

"Just Drive" friends! Let me write about all the incident free, Historical Military Vehicle adventures at the end of 2018 instead of incident reports. Happy New Year, he lived!

dean toyota.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post Accident Procedure Simply Made Enjoyable And Relaxing

Somehow, with all the rescue services on site and the towing company giving my buddy a ride home, he didn't get the insurance information from the other party.

P1021052.jpgP1021056.jpgP1021051.jpg

We've spent 3 days, at the police station, towing company, on the phone trying to figure out what the next step is so this thread requires an update.

Make sure you have the other parties Insurance Contact information in your hands after you hit a distracted driver, or in any accident.

If you are in rescue services, come up with a checklist of items an accident victim may require with them if you drop them off at home. My buddy wasn't cut and bleeding but was most certainly not cognitive enough to ask for the correct information. Somehow the constable and tow truck driver have been unavailable to call us back so getting the insurance information was a challenge.

This link has a checklist in it and you'd think it'd be an easy process to go through once in the collision.......My buddy has a masters degree in marketing, a minor in business, is the most thorough project manager, website designer, equipment operator, engine builder I know but is still a bit foggy since the crash. Don't be foggy!
https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/car-insurance/in-case-of-a-car-accident.aspx

• Step 1: Check yourself for injuries.
  • Step 2: Check on the well-being of your passengers.
  • Step 3: Get to safety.
  • Step 4: Call 911.
  • Step 5: Wait for help.
  • Step 6: Exchange information.
  • Step 7: Document the accident.
  • Step 8: Notify your insurer.

We won't let this get into an insurance discussion but know your policy. He's just got PL/PD so after contacting his insurance company, he was told he had to cover all expenses and hope the other insurance company will reimburse him.

Find out what support you will get if involved in an accident that isn't your fault. Don't get surprised and be out thousands of dollars a few days after an accident.

We did some quick calculations. He was traveling at 88 feet per second and covers the length of a football field in 4,,,,,,3,,,,,,2,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,Bang.

My buddy was in full highway drive focus. This isn't a guy that looks down at a phone when he's behind the wheel. Whether the lights weren't on in the other vehicle or the moon was too bright, he didn't have time to see them, let alone react.

This guy has been a saint as long as I've known him so unless you have angels, don't text and drive.

99nouns

This area was 65mph, so I was only about 5 under. The other car was well over.

I frequently run flashers at night if I'm 15mph under the speed limit. Although not precisely legal, it strikes me as best-practice.

I got pulled over once and the cop asked me why I had my flashers on. I told him, "I'm in a large heavy vehicle that is by its nature designed to be difficult to see, driving 15-20 mph less than what people expect. Anything I can do to be more conspicuous seems to me to be a step to the good."
What did the cop say?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks