• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distracted Driving

gottaluvit

My instructor in CDL training told us to use flashers if going 15 under the speed limit. I do it now in my VW on my windy country road that has no speed limits posted (meaning 55 in Ohio), any time I get behind someone poking along at 35. Better a ticket (if that actually is the law here) than get mashed in the rear because someone behind me wanted to go the speed limit.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most states require flashing warning lights on slow moving vehicles. The definition of flashing lights and what constitutes a slow moving vehicle vary by state law. 15 MPH is the marker I use as well... There are some states, like WA, where any back up of 5 vehicles or more necessitates you pulling off the road to let them pass... If you're doing 60 in a 50, and have 5 cars behind you doing 85, legally you're supposed to pull off to allow them to pass... *on one lane roads

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most states require flashing warning lights on slow moving vehicles. The definition of flashing lights and what constitutes a slow moving vehicle vary by state law. 15 MPH is the marker I use as well... There are some states, like WA, where any back up of 5 vehicles or more necessitates you pulling off the road to let them pass... If you're doing 60 in a 50, and have 5 cars behind you doing 85, legally you're supposed to pull off to allow them to pass... *on one lane roads
I learned it as "below 45mph", but yeah it certainly varies by state.

The marker I use is "any time I think it is the best course of action to minimize the chances of getting hit."

In retrospect even though I was going 60mph and only 5mph below the speed limit, if I had it to do over I would have had them on that night. Maybe this would not have happened.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned it as "below 45mph", but yeah it certainly varies by state.

The marker I use is "any time I think it is the best course of action to minimize the chances of getting hit."

In retrospect even though I was going 60mph and only 5mph below the speed limit, if I had it to do over I would have had them on that night. Maybe this would not have happened.
If you're going 55 in an 80? lol. You're a slow moving vehicle.

Tangentially related... I hate it with a PASSION when I'm blocking a lane, arrow stick on, flashing lights, and people wanna come RIGHT UP to my vehicle before changing lanes... There are some cases where you had a MILE + (VERY bright lights + signage) saying, HEY! MOVE OVER!, but they wanna wait until they're right up on you to change lanes... I swear..

3 lane roadway, speed limit 45, most everybody doing 60+ .. Disabled vehicle center lane... gotta create a safety buffer so take the far right lane and center lane, vehicle parked across the lanes with arrow stick and warning lights activated... literally visible for a mile..... Not only did I have vehicles pulling up BEHIND me, then wondering how they're gonna merge 2 lanes over, I had vehicles trying to cut THROUGH the buffer to get back into the right lane, as there's intentional space left between the blocking vehicle and the disabled/accident vehicle...

bufferzone.jpg

I sure do miss maglites.. Nothing like shattered window or a dented hood/door panel to get through to people that they're driving too close/fast/etc.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Accident Suv Settlement

I didn't want to leave anyone hanging so after driving a gold truck through the prairies for years, working 5 hours from home base and commuting often, my firefighter buddy got something a distracted driver should see.

Look out for him, he's saved a lot of lives and while you're looking at your lap,,,,,even sitting at a light,,,,he could be behind you trying to get by to save another one.

"JUST DRIVE"

P1220494.jpg

The stats are starting to roll in and without knowing who will have an office open tomorrow, lets get some of them up here.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/index.html

"""""Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.[SUP]1"""""

https://www.enddd.org/research-stats/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiJ_a0t_s2AIVxpd-Ch2j8AjiEAAYASAAEgKUfvD_BwE
[/SUP]
[SUP]"""""""37,461 lives were lost on U.S. roads in 2016, an increase of 5.6 percent from 2015. Distracted driving fatalities declined by 2.2% , drowsy driving fatalities declined by 3.5%, while deaths related to other reckless behaviors – including speeding, alcohol impairment, and not wearing seat belts – continued to increase. Pedestrian deaths increased 9% to 5,987 (the highest number since 1990) and bicyclist deaths increased by 1.3% to 840 (the highest number since 1991)."""""

[/SUP]We need to understand that deaths are going down mostly due to vehicle design. Horrific injuries have increased as a result of "Uncontrolled Accidents"....accidents that occur where avoidance, braking/ steering did not happen. If you're paying attention you're more likely to reduce accident severity.......and not run over a pedestrian or bicycle...also on the rise.

We can get better......"Just Drive".

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0706-crash-deaths.html

"""""""with proven strategies according to a July 2016 CDC report comparing fatality rates between US and other high-income countries. The US had quadruple the fatality rate of Sweden and the UK and is about double that of France, Germany and Canada. Speeding, using seat belts and booster seats, drunk and distracted driving were all areas where the UCS could improve and save lives"""""""

jbayer

Just for ref., in Florida:

It is illegal to drive with your hazard lights on. Hazard lights are for stopped vehicles only.
The one situation where Florida drivers are allowed to use their hazards when in motion is when the vehicle is in a funeral procession.

F.S.S 316.241 states:
(7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except:
(a) As a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway;
There are exceptions for bicycles, some emergency vehicles, and buses.

This is true for some other states also.

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/us...es-use-could-cost-you/4GKuiHXYiiowRgq5CgPjLP/

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the FL statutes, jabayer. I often see vehicles running with their flashers on. I was eastbound on I-4 Saturday night, southwest of Orlando. I saw a dually hauling a fifth wheel flatbed car hauler at 50 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. The flashers were on. I heard myself say out loud "why is that guy breaking the law?!?!?!?" I quickly remembered that I read all the motor vehicle statutes when I moved to FL, which is where I learned of the difference in laws between states. Most people don't do that.

gottaluvit

I didn't want to leave anyone hanging so after driving a gold truck through the prairies for years, working 5 hours from home base and commuting often, my firefighter buddy got something a distracted driver should see.

Look out for him, he's saved a lot of lives and while you're looking at your lap,,,,,even sitting at a light,,,,he could be behind you trying to get by to save another one.

"JUST DRIVE"

View attachment 716312

The stats are starting to roll in and without knowing who will have an office open tomorrow, lets get some of them up here.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/distracted_driving/index.html

"""""Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.[SUP]1"""""

https://www.enddd.org/research-stats/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiJ_a0t_s2AIVxpd-Ch2j8AjiEAAYASAAEgKUfvD_BwE
[/SUP]
[SUP]"""""""37,461 lives were lost on U.S. roads in 2016, an increase of 5.6 percent from 2015. Distracted driving fatalities declined by 2.2% , drowsy driving fatalities declined by 3.5%, while deaths related to other reckless behaviors – including speeding, alcohol impairment, and not wearing seat belts – continued to increase. Pedestrian deaths increased 9% to 5,987 (the highest number since 1990) and bicyclist deaths increased by 1.3% to 840 (the highest number since 1991)."""""

[/SUP]We need to understand that deaths are going down mostly due to vehicle design. Horrific injuries have increased as a result of "Uncontrolled Accidents"....accidents that occur where avoidance, braking/ steering did not happen. If you're paying attention you're more likely to reduce accident severity.......and not run over a pedestrian or bicycle...also on the rise.

We can get better......"Just Drive".

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0706-crash-deaths.html

"""""""with proven strategies according to a July 2016 CDC report comparing fatality rates between US and other high-income countries. The US had quadruple the fatality rate of Sweden and the UK and is about double that of France, Germany and Canada. Speeding, using seat belts and booster seats, drunk and distracted driving were all areas where the UCS could improve and save lives"""""""
And Germany has the autobahn with a lot of sections having no speed limit! We have extremely low speed limits on our highways and more fatalities. Hmmm. Maybe we are so used to the slow speeds that we get complacent, thus failing to use turn signals or drive in the proper lane and pass in the proper lane.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's never too late to get better at something and find solutions, without a doubt. Those are two of the best, signal to tell us what they're thinking and know why they make the intelligent lane selections they do. Educating drivers is vital to continental transportation, safety and even the GDP so it's more important than Grandma ever considered. Using signal lights to tell each other what we're thinking and understanding the mind-set of our fellow drivers goes a long way.

It's just nuts to think that folks arent's looking out for debris on the road, manholes, bridge approaches, animals, full size broken semi-truck tires, .....other vehicles that can kill them. Looking inside the vehicle, other than for a split second, isn't as smart as 'not' looking inside the vehicle. The education process must be broken so opening a dialogue to fix it will continue.

jbayer

It's never too late to get better at something and find solutions, without a doubt. Those are two of the best, signal to tell us what they're thinking and know why they make the intelligent lane selections they do. Educating drivers is vital to continental transportation, safety and even the GDP so it's more important than Grandma ever considered. Using signal lights to tell each other what we're thinking and understanding the mind-set of our fellow drivers goes a long way.

It's just nuts to think that folks arent's looking out for debris on the road, manholes, bridge approaches, animals, full size broken semi-truck tires, .....other vehicles that can kill them. Looking inside the vehicle, other than for a split second, isn't as smart as 'not' looking inside the vehicle. The education process must be broken so opening a dialogue to fix it will continue.

It's kinda hard to do all that while your eaten a samich, texting/ googling, changing the radio station, and yellin at your kids all at the same time.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's almost been a year folks and the insurance companies are throwing down the gloves. If you receive a distracted driving ticket your insurance will begin treating it as if you got an impaired. Insurance rates will go up to impaired driving status and cancellations will begin to occur. Some provinces will eventually implement an automatic 3 day drivers license suspension and your vehicle will be impounded.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ontarios-new-distracted-driving-laws-to-take-effect-jan-1-2019

Drivers convicted of distracted driving under the new laws will be punished with a licence suspension, a hefty fine and demerit points. The severity of the punishment increases with the number of subsequent offences committed:

• First offence: 3 days suspension and $1,000 fine
  • Second offence: 7 days suspension and $2,000 fine
  • Three or more offences: 30 days suspension, $3,000 fine and six demerit points

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toron...acted-driving-under-ontarios-new-driving-laws

• Simply holding an electronic device in your hands (hand-held communication during driving is against the law)
  • Using a cellular phone to talk, text, check maps or switch playlists
  • Eating (there may not be a licence suspension, but the RCMP warn you could be fined or given six demerits depending on the food)
  • Reading books or documents
  • Typing a destination into the GPS

https://www.morisoninsurance.ca/news/distracted-driving-laws-in-ontario/

""""""""Many Insurance companies are now starting to look at distracted driving charges as a major conviction. This can dramatically increase your insurance rates and affect your qualification with certain insurance companies. Insurance Companies are even taking into consideration those who received a distracted driving conviction prior to January 1, 2019 and will be rating their insurance policies according to the new rules. If you currently have a distracted driving conviction on your record you may still be affected by the new rules when your policy comes up for renewal.""""""

[h=2]Distracted driving statistics[/h]https://ama.ab.ca/2018/01/02/distracted-driving-stats-double-standard

On September 1, 2011, distracted driving became a ticketable offence in Alberta. Then in 2016, the penalty for driving distracted increased to $287 and three demerit points (view all distracted driving penalties across Canada). But distracted driving violations are not showing signs of letting up. In fact, it may be getting worse.
Here are the stats for distracted driving convictions in Alberta:

• 2015: 27,417
  • 2016: 27,281
  • January – March 2017: 24,665
This does not bode well for our driving community because studies have shown that distracted driving is very dangerous, and it’s putting everyone who uses our roads at risk.

• Drivers are 23 times more likely to be in a crash or near crash when texting, and 4 – 5 times more likely if talking on the phone. (Source: Virginia Tech)
  • Drivers take their eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds per text—at 90 km/h, that’s the length of a football field. (Source: Virginia Tech)
  • Distracted driving is causing more collisions than impaired driving. (Source: CAA)
Yet, while most drivers know that distracted driving is bad, there seems to be a disconnect with its associated risks.

• 94% believe texting, emailing, or using social media is a serious threat to their safety, yet 33% said they’ve done it while driving in the past month. (Source: City of Edmonton)
  • 33% believe texting at a stop light is unacceptable, yet the same people admit to doing it in the past month. (Source: CAA)

Here are some U.S. stats that we should all be sharing with our kids.
https://www.teensafe.com/distracted-driving/100-distracted-driving-facts-and-statistics-2018/

[h=2]The Numbers Behind Distracted Driving[/h]
  1. Distracted driving accounts for approximately 25% of all motor vehicle crash fatalities.
  2. At the time of fatal crashes, teens have been the largest age group that reported being distracted while driving.
  3. Driver distraction is reported to be responsible for more than 58% of teen crashes.
  4. In 2015, 391,000 injuries were caused in distracted driving related accidents.
  5. In that same year, distracted driving was cited as a major factor in 3,477 traffic deaths.
  6. 9 people in the U.S. are killed each day as a result of crashes involving a distracted driver, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  7. Distracted driving has been called an American epidemic and is completely preventable.
  8. Since there is no way to test for distracted driving after an accident occurs, it’s widely believed that the number of crashes, injuries, and fatalities caused by distracted driving are vastly under reported.
  9. It takes only 3 seconds after a driver’s attention has been diverted from the road for a crash to occur.
  10. Car crashes are the number one killer of teens in the U.S.
  11. 16 to 19 year-olds are three times as likely to be involved in a fatal car crash than any other age group.
  12. Americans are driving more miles now than ever before, resulting in more traffic accidents and fatalities.
  13. Distracted driving is commonly referred to as the, “new drunk driving”.
  14. Driving distracted is compared to drunk driving since it follows the same psychological pattern: when drivers get away with driving distracted, they then continue to practice this bad habit until a crash occurs or until they are caught and suffer consequences.
  15. Distracted driving is seen as a tricky problem as it’s a temporary one that is hard to proactively predict and catch.
  16. Over 80% of drivers admit to blatantly hazardous behavior while driving, such as changing clothes, steering with a foot, painting nails, or even shaving.
  17. While the number of drinking and driving fatalities has decreased in teens, the number of traffic fatalities in the age group has not, much attributed to distracted driving.
https://visual.ly/community/infogra...stracted-driving-vs-drunk-driving-which-worse

Anyone have a distracted driving encounter lately?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a distracted driving encounter lately?[/QUOTE]

With all the focus on texting and driving what I'm seeing these days is a change from holding the phone up above the dash to glance at it.

What I'm seeing these days is hiding the phone below the dash so that the phone can't be seen from outside the vehicle. This makes for a longer period of time with eyes off the road.

I'm seeing no reduction in frequency of phone usage while driving. It's pandemic. Probably fully 20% of drivers have a phone in their hands.

Phone usage seems uniform to me across the US. General driving styles do not. Florida stands out as the worst example of just general reckless driving (more than one car passed me on the shoulder in the rain. I was going 70mph in a 70 zone). CA has to have the most generally hateful drivers - tailgating, hornblowing, obscene gesture making....

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eh?

Not sure I see the advantage or difference to hooking a phone to WiFi in the car vs just using the data plan.

Now, the kid's Ipads in the back seats that I don't want to get sims and data plans for...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a new year of texting and driving so we're looking for some catchy 2021 phrases for bumper stickers. All I have so far is "When you drive....look outside".

The little two lane highway by our farm has seen two men killed already this year. They were both head on collisions with semi-trailer trucks.

The burn marks are still on the highway. https://globalnews.ca/news/1916265/...-south-of-stony-plain-kills-at-least-one/amp/ https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/fatal-highway-collision-near-spruce-grove-1.876532/comments-7.306513

I thought it was getting better with the reduced covid traffic but the stats say it's getting worse.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's a new year of texting and driving so we're looking for some catchy 2021 phrases for bumper stickers. All I have so far is "When you drive....look outside".

The little two lane highway by our farm has seen two men killed already this year. They were both head on collisions with semi-trailer trucks.

The burn marks are still on the highway. https://globalnews.ca/news/1916265/...-south-of-stony-plain-kills-at-least-one/amp/ https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/fatal-highway-collision-near-spruce-grove-1.876532/comments-7.306513

I thought it was getting better with the reduced covid traffic but the stats say it's getting worse.
Yeah... Sad but true. The world of 1d10ts are coming back to work and they didn't drive very well before. Now a lot of them have had most of a year sitting at home and now they need to "beat the light" at intersections here in town. Had one the other day where a van was laying on its side in the middle of the road. They just had to beat that light - and the other driver was waiting for green - and stomped the gas.

I have noticed that during all this mess that a lot of traffic lights seem to have more delay between red and green. At night when you can see better, I have seen several instances of red on all lights, then the green turns on. That only seems to encourage the "beat the light" problem... :-(

Another good bumper strip is
Shut Up! Hang Up & Drive!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks