• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater question for a LMTV

Triple C

Good write up and info. I don't know about this particular motor or heater but generally speaking, in really cold weather you want to make sure you unplug your heater before you start your truck so you don't circulate extremely cold water instantly onto the hot element. Depending on how long you leave your heater on, it will do a good job of raising the temp of the block above freezing but does little to heat the water in the radiator. You will get some circulation from the heat cycle but there can be a drastic difference in the temp of the water in the block and the temp of the water in the radiator when the temps are really cold. At least that's the way they used to be back in the day when I drove for a living. Good luck with the truck.

tommys2patrick

Dale, I appreciate your question even though I don't have an LMTV. Would like to, but none yet. I appreciate the thoroughness of your documentation for each step you went through on this project. Keep up the good work and I look forward to following your future projects.

Mercunimog404

Banned
My understanding is that the CAT 3116 LMTVs don't have glow plugs like most modern diesel engines and the newer series of LMTV which is why they have an ether injector and are difficult to start in cold weather. Shoot, even my Kubota diesel zero-turn mower has glow plugs but I digress...

I am assuming that a block heater (If you do a generic search on "CAT 3116 block heater" you will see the block heater specific to this motor that Superman is talking about) would help in the area of cold start simply by keeping the block generally warm.
The 5.9 Cummings has never had glow plugs. In fact lots of diesels don't use glow plugs.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm changing the thread title to a more useful title for others that may be searching.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, I bought a Kat's heater on the interweb, supposed to be for a CAT 3116. Specs said 1-3/4" OD. Well, the seller apparently measured the FLANGE, not the mounting surface with the o-ring. The mounting diameter (=required hole) was only 1-1/4". So, if you look for cheaper alternatives like I did, be certain what you are getting LOL. (He took it back.)

Bob

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No I had thought about it but I have new batteries and they are easy to get in and out the way they are now. I have a bunch of stuff I want to do like lighting and a stereo that I havent had time to do.
Will

Overdrive

OK, understood. I had to use a flashlight and a woman's compact mirror (stupid thing has saved me more time and money over the years than I care to admit) to check and fill the rear batteries last night. As I suspected, the front two batteries were good back two were both dry. It was a real pain to check so was just wondering about the slider. Going to pull all the batteries today to clean and charge as well as clean all the mess in the battery box due to lack of maintenance.

On board with you for lighting and stereo. I have some ideas on cab lighting based on my Hydro trailer conversion.

Thanks!

Do you have a different than stock battery setup? Would be interested to learn what your running.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Easier to just take the batts out. You wont want weak batteries in the winter its prob a good idea to get some new ones. I have 4 new Hawker AGM batts. I have all the lighting stuff and audio for my truck just havent had time to install it. I had a thread somewhere I added a reverse cam and some other stuff.
Will

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered a Kat's part # 30202 off of Ebay for $38.70 (left photo) Just about went with Zerostart 350-0015 off of Amazon for $66.71 (right photo). Time will tell :) If you are looking for a block heater the freeze plug is 1-3/4" or 44/45 mm.
I've been running the ZeroStart in my truck (w/ 3116) for two years now. It works great. The install was the same as yours. Even in below zero temperatures, leaving it run overnight will make it start in the morning like it's summer. Even just letting it run for 30-60 minutes will let it start much easier (enough to catch quickly, and keep itself running to get warmed up).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks