• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

Amer-team

There is also the Auburn Veterans Day parade and we will be going for that. Been doing that one for over 20 years. 7 Nov. Or if you would like to come hang out at Capital High School for a few hours on 10 Nov. we will be doing presentations to the High school students. That is a no weapons event, but MV's are encouraged to participate. It is sort of fun to drive a GPW down the high school halls and not get expelled.

PureMayhem

Miracle of the Americas Gamma Goat

WSUCougar
Is this the Goat that got you started on your journey? This is the Goat that is currently outside the Miracles of the Americas Museum in Polson. Not sure if it is the same one you looked at though. I will ask if it is for sale next Spring when I return to Polson. I am now spending my Summers there and have a place about 3 miles East of the museum. For all Steel Soldiers if you are ever passing through Polson I would recommend stopping and spending a few hours in the museum as they have quite a few MV's to look at as well as a lot of other military equipment on display.IMG_0537.jpg

wsucougarx

Yes sir that's the one. I had things in motion to buy it, but the Mr. Mangels found out he couldn't sell it due to the agreement with the US Govt. Apparently it's basically on loan to the museum. He said in order to sell it, he'd have to strip it and demil it. The deal crusher was he didn't have an SF-97 or title for it. In Washington State, I need a title to get her tagged.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said in order to sell it, he'd have to strip it and demil it. The deal crusher was he didn't have an SF-97 or title for it. In Washington State, I need a title to get her tagged.
Since they changed the demil code back in October of last year (that's how I was able to buy mine) he might not have to do that now. Of course he might have a different arrangement than the States do but the reason they started selling so many was the change. I doubt that'd help the SF-97 issue though. In TX we can get a bonded title and then convert it over after a certain period so coming up without one is just a pita and not the end of the road.

combat32

Same here in Arkansas, I will have to do the bonded title route on mine.

Good lookin Goat, you are miles ahead of me already and you just started!:drool:

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Filters, Belts, etc

Made a couple trips to NAPA over the past couple days. I ordered a ALL new hoses, belts, filters, and Rotella T1 30w oil. I initially bought my usual Rotella T 15/40 and found out it was not CF-2 rated for a Detroit Diesel 2 stroke. I bought three different straight hoses of varying lengths and found a lower radiator hose that will fit perfect but need to trim a little. I'm pretty stoked to get all the replacement hoses for all the old crusty 1970's hoses. Definitely a piece of mind. I will post pics of the old vs new hoses with the appropriate NAPA parts numbers to help everyone out.
I also felt compelled to buy some Detroit Diesel Alpine Green rattle cans at NAPA as well. Seemed only appropriate to Purdy up the engine bay as she once looked. The engine this Goat currently has is not it's original engine as compared to the engine serial number on the data plate. The paint was an exact match and really dresses things up. I will post pics of that as well;-)
Update:
Detroit Diesel does NOT recommend using 30w! The MTU DD manual states 40w only. The lower viscocity can create havoc with the liners. I now need to drain the 30w out and put 40w in.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

New Radiator and Crankcase Oil Drain Valve

Got a couple things on the porch today. Got my oil drain valve and a new radiator from Saturn Surplus. I paid $18 shipped f for the valve and $250 +$14.50 shipping for the radiator. I got both items off E***. The valve had a MAKE OFFER w/free shipping on it.

Project Cost:
1) Oil Drain Valve $18 shipped
2) M561/M792 Radiator $264 Shipped

uploadfromtaptalk1445913130311.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445913151231.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445913236683.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Hose Replacement with NAPA hoses

I meant to post this a couple days ago. Here are some of the hoses I bought to replace the cracked and aging 1970 hoses. I found this formed hose to be perfect but had to trim 2-3 inches off the end for a perfect fit. The other hoses were just trimmed off a straight hose.
New hoses on the left.
I bought a new hose for the coolant reservoir as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1445913760418.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445913787822.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If those belts on the receipt are for you engine, I would recommend using Automotive/truck V belts in the 25th series for Napa. In regular gates they would be 7000 or 9000 numbers depending on width.

Those are fractional horse power belts in the 4L/6L on the receipt. Made for fans and low rpm apps not under hood. Not the same pulley profile either.

Just info still locked in my head from selling parts for a few years and 10 in the napa system........

wsucougarx

Modification Work Order 9-2320-242-35

Tonight I scored one of the most important accessories for the M561/M792, in my opinion. It's the MWO for the addition of the driver and passenger seatbelts in the tractor unit. Having a wife and 3 kids (+1 but he's only 8 months) wanting to ride in this truck, this safety item was at the top of the search list. Luckily, everything worked out and I was able to secure this NOS kit on E*** for $45+12.65.

Project Cost:
1) Tractor Seatbelt MWO Kit $57.65 shipped

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
I haven't got around to changing mine.
Plus I have a couple sets of NOS belts some where.
But I guess, since it is all the rage, that I check out my cooling system too.

I found this in one of my parts cheat sheets from Ol' Gama Goat web site:

Fan belt / Alternator:
NAPA: 25-9670HD (recommended)
NAPA: 25-17035, AC/Delco 17670 which is a 1/2 inch x 67-3/8 inch (fit is near perfect)

And for oil:

(Updated 10/27/2015)
MM
: The oil requirement for a 2 cycle Detroit 353 is a straight 40wt. CF-2 rated. Rotella and Chevron 100 (100 not 400). Do not use use multiweight (15w40) you will very quickly get liner scuffing that destroys cylinder honing and high levels of injector cam lob wear. NEVER use multi weight oil in a 2 cycle.

When you purchase or order oil be sure its single weight and has the correct rating. CF-2 (the 2 is for 2 cycle) Not CF-4 for 4 cycle. (gamagoat1)

I have posted up a gama goat parts thread with even more historic parts info.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146260-M561-M792-Gama-Goat-Parts-thread

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Can you confirm the oil shut off valve works? I have t204n in my notes.
One is 3/4-14 not and the other is 3/4-16 unf fine thread. I would think they would go fine for aluminum. But I don't want to drain my oil just to find out. Thanx.

m38inmaine

I installed mine today, T201N and it fits. It says right on the package Detroit Diesel 50/60 series. The oil pan is steel.

dougski

WOW Gamma Goat, is a real goat. I was a 63B back in the Army and Goats were a real pain in the butt. They spent more time on a 5t tow truck hook than on the road. Very cool concept but poor design.

wsucougarx

I know, there's something about this truck that I seem to be attracted to. The ugly looks, the loud DD, and the maintenance challenges. I love a good challenge;-)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know, there's something about this truck that I seem to be attracted to. The ugly looks, the loud DD, and the maintenance challenges. I love a good challenge;-)
Then you should REALLY love your machine. We went through the brakes completely and I'm still having issues. The latest is a leak issue at a NEW wheel cylinder. With Dot 5 costing as much as it does a simple fluid leak gets expensive fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks