• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W400 Ambulance

m376x6

I remembered I have the picture from the sale. My serial number is W41CF8S32068*. It has a NP445 manual transmission as opposed to the 727 auto.

Attachments

bkwudzhom

I like the look of the winch bumper on the front. I have been looking for something like that for my M1008.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
......................................................................................... If I understand the info correctly either 1978 or 1979 was the last of the 203's. The 360 in it is junk so I'm considering a nice 440 I have and also a NP205 exchange. Do you have any idea what years the W400's were built for the various branches? I'm kind of the opinion that they, along with the 880 and 890 series were rated a little above the components they were built with.

Regards,
M376X6
79 was the last year for the 203 full time case.
I have seen pics of mid 80's W300 & W400's Navy & Air Force

The M880/M890 series had the same suspension as the civi W200, Military rated at 1 1/4 ton civi rated at 3/4 ton. 2500lb payload, the DOD took it literally while us civi's apparently don't know what a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton equats to in pounds.

I don't see where the W400 would be "rated a little above the components they were built with"
my Ambulance weighs in about 7366 with a GVW of 11,000 and a cargo cap of 3459 (leaves enough for a 175lb driver)
W400 insinuates a 4000lb capacity.
At any rate I think the W400 is pretty stout.

Oh yea, b-4 I got my W400 Ambulance, I was under the impression that they all had 4spd tranny's. Now that I've had it for some time and for what I use it for, I'm happy with the 727.

Last edited:

m376x6

The reason I was commenting about the capacity rating is that the W400 shares the same front and rear axle setup as the W300, the only difference is the addition of a single extra leaf in the rear spring pack. The W400 according to Dodge was rated at 1 1/2 Tons.

How were the front fenders modified from stock? I have spare fenders for my other W300 and W350 (70's and 80's) series trucks and they appear to be the same, but that is without side to side comparisons. Just in case I should ever need to replace one.

They are stout, I haven't had the opportunity to compare the frame yet with my other trucks, I'm wondering if they are the same or perhaps beefier to accomplish the 1 1/2 Ton rating.

Mid 80's W400's would have probably used the NP205's, I doubt they would have tried to use the NP208, much too light duty for the heavy truck. Thanks for sharing info Bob, always glad to hear about Dodges.

M376X6

nikoly24

W400 1980 Dodge Airforce Ambulance truck

I saw these type of ambulances when I was stationed at Lackland AFB, in 1975.After i got out in 79, I tried to fined them at surplus, but had no luck, I didi find one in 1988, but the owner removed the ambulance body and replaced it with a regular cab.I had never even seen an M866 until I was out of the AF. While station at TyndallAFB they used a J20 jeep ambulance w/winch, for inflight emergencies.I now own a M725,I always wanted a military ambulance eversince i was a kid.
I have a 1980 w400 Airforce Ambulance Truck with ambulance top on it, There is 46xxx miles on it, with winch PTO I'm looking to sell it if you or anyone is interested in it. NO RUST runs great. primer gray as of now. Any ideas who would have interest? email me lew_johnson@hotmail.com

nikoly24

W400 1980 Dodge Airforce Ambulance truck

I have a 1980 Dodge W400 Ambulance truck im looking to sell. has around 46xxx miles on it, in great shape, has the pto real heavy winch on front. everything works. I dont want alot for it, would like to see it go to someone that really appreciates these trucks. please email me lew_johnson@hotmail.com i could send you pictures.
Thank you,
Nick

oddave715

Stinks cause I had it all envisioned in my head. Trailer body for a bed. I can get one easy. My buddys dad has a few 105s I could have got a bed from him. I know of someone who put one on a F450 or 550 and it worked great. Od paint or camo. Oh she would have been a sweet old truck. Ahh but the price of gas killed that one. It was going to be about 1000 miles round trip. Hope something will pop up closer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks