• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923: mudding or not?

Easyeight13

So im looking at getting an MV. I would love to take it through its paces (mud/hills, etc) but ive heard that mudding can cause some problems. Any suggestions?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its not a mud truck. The A1 or A2 with singles are a bit better but when you get 21000lbs of steel stuck in the mud you better have something big to pull you out.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High level of maint for mudding/high water.

All those seals, bearings etc and all the gizmos that you need to touch are big and heavy..........

Just a thought but I know those days are past this old man :)

Easyeight13

Yeah, i've heard that water and mud can cause a lot of maintenance issues. Also, yeah you definitely want a winch or something big to pull ya out. Of course, it would be nice if you never got stuck at all, but ive heard that they sink and dig in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In the military these vehicles traveled in herds. If one got stuck it's fellow trucks would all get together and pull it out.

They are actually easier to get stuck when empty due to lack of ballast for traction.

My M927A2 has never been stuck because I have never taken it where it could get stuck.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you want to move 10 tons of artillery shells down a dry dirt road the truck excels at that. Mud not so much. I have heard from another member he had good luck mudding in his M1078.

Tornadogt

I take my M931a2 with a Deuce bed Mudding pretty regularly. It does well until it starts pushing mud with front axle. all I would change is going to 16x20s and Lockers in the rears... My CTIS does work and I bleed it down to "Emergency" (I think it is 15-20psi) when going through the thick stuff.. I also have a A1 truck but the older engine is much heaver and you can really tell in the mud..

rmgill

Mudding is how you break things. Badly. In places you don't want to break them and which make your recovery harder.

On the other hand viewing the truck as able to get through problems without having to go FIND them is the best way to look at them.

kfrosty

I've got to believe it's physics. 21,000 lbs in soft mud you're burying. Today, we had a M998 and some steep hills I built on my property for my UTV's. 998 took the hills like a champ. My M932, just too heavy. It sunk sunk some in the soil, tires got gummed up and it wouldn't go up.

Had some more obstacles that have dryed out, as long as the dirt was tacky, hardly anything it wouldn't traverse. As others have stated, regardless, mud/water gets in everything. 4x4's, dirt bikes etc, you run them in mud, you're going to have to spend money maintaining them.

71DeuceAK

Yeah, maintenance can get expensive once you have mud/high water involved...but if you're equipped to do that and have a way to get pulled out should you get stuck (A 5 ton is going to be one heavy SOB to get unstuck, mind you) I say go for it; go get filthy regularly once you get one! :driver:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is no other way to find out what your truck can(and can't) do than to wheel it. There is no guarantee you will get un-stuck, but a winch and another truck will do wonders.

aleigh

I dunno about heavy mudding a US MV but the word with unimogs is if you bog them bad in mug you have a real chance of ripping out air lines. ironically their 4x4 and lockers are air actuated so you lose both when this happens. that happens with the US rigs too? My 1078 has a looooottttt of dangly things under the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks