• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more new trucks

acetomatoco

You did not read the first post which said "They will not be on GL for a long time". Any way if we all get busy and write to our congressmen and senators the contract which GL has will expire and not be renewed next year... Remember it was only for 5 years.. Those Oshkosh Retreivers have been around for 10 years or so and we had one at the Aberdeen meet a few years back before the Stupid Baseball Stadium Scenario....If you have time, please check the tire pressures and record it on your trip ticket...for each tire.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is the HETT (Heavy Equipment Transporter).
It was (IMHO) designed by an idiot after lenghty consultation with a pack of morons (probably retired Transportation officers working for the builder).
It has a fuel sucking, two stroke Driptroit V-8 diesel (other application for this engine is boat anchor), an automatic transmission and the rear axle steers to help this abortion go around corners.
The trailer is an equal nightmare, the last three sets axles of the trailer steer because it's too hard to train drivers to swing wide on turns.
And speaking of axles the ones on the trailer are stub axles, two narrow tires on each one. After a while each axle tracks in a different direction. It's cheaper to buy new tires than to try to keep them in alignment.
When my unit trained on these nightmares I pissed the pogue from Oshkosh off when I showed him on paper that for what this POS cost I could have bought two superior civilian rigs for the same money.
Your tax dollars at work. :roll:
You could not run fast enough to give me one of these much less sell me one.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There arent enough of the M1070/M1000 Super HET's out in the Army right now, they wont be getting DRMO'ed out anytime soon. They are going for rebuild/RESET.. They are cool, but HUGE....

5tonpuller

wow

wreckerman893 said:
That is the HETT (Heavy Equipment Transporter).
It was (IMHO) designed by an idiot after lenghty consultation with a pack of morons (probably retired Transportation officers working for the builder).
It has a fuel sucking, two stroke Driptroit V-8 diesel (other application for this engine is boat anchor), an automatic transmission and the rear axle steers to help this abortion go around corners.
The trailer is an equal nightmare, the last three sets axles of the trailer steer because it's too hard to train drivers to swing wide on turns.
And speaking of axles the ones on the trailer are stub axles, two narrow tires on each one. After a while each axle tracks in a different direction. It's cheaper to buy new tires than to try to keep them in alignment.
When my unit trained on these nightmares I pissed the pogue from Oshkosh off when I showed him on paper that for what this POS cost I could have bought two superior civilian rigs for the same money.
Your tax dollars at work. :roll:
You could not run fast enough to give me one of these much less sell me one.
Sounds like a man with some insight. Sorry I will not ask anymore. (hides behind a BIG tree)

acetomatoco

RE: wow

The air conditioned crew cab is not very tactical...Need folks on the running boards with Thompsons...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If those trucks start taking fire, something is seriously wrong..

However, 4ID did a big push into Iraq with M1s and Brads on the back of the HETS, all crewed, running, and ready to fire if need be.. Thye had an uneventful trip.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
If those trucks start taking fire, something is seriously wrong..

However, 4ID did a big push into Iraq with M1s and Brads on the back of the HETs, all crewed, running, and ready to fire if need be.. They had an uneventful trip.
Yep! I've seen that! We left Fallujah en route to Balad and were mixed in with a bunch of HETs hauling Bradleys and M-1s. The ULTIMATE gun-trucks. We did not get hit rolling through Baghdad like we would have on any other trip.

The HETs were kind of slow. They burned to the ground when they caught fire. Boiled up a big dust cloud driving in the dirt. They seemed to be liked by their crews though. Probably more comfortable than our 915s. We hated getting stuck behind HET convoys. You were going to get lit every time. Rolling road-blocks. Too slow! They look tough, but w/o armor, they're pretty thin-skinned.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
C'mon Wreckerman, are green motors that bad? Seems like for decades you couldn't find a fire truck without a Detriot. I kinda like the noisy suckers. With that said and from what I've heard, if you want green iron moved in a jiffy, the 915 is the way to do it. Is the 916 the AWD version of the 915?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks