• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 NTC-400 Big Cam I CPL

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M916 came with no dataplates anywhere, including the engine dataplate where the engine serial number and Cummins critical parts list number (CPL) should be stamped.

So what I'm hoping is that someone out there with a M915-M920 truck with a Big Cam I engine can tell me the CPL off of their engine. It should be stamped on the engine dataplate on the driver's side of the engine just forward of the air compressor.

I *think* it might be 0393, but I am unsure.

---

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority with a Big Cam I 400 vs all the people who have Big Cam III engines. :)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome, thanks.

Is the tag on top of your PT pump legible? Or at least, photograph-ible?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ESN should stamped on the block. Fuel pump side, rear, at the area where the heads meet the block. Post it and I can post the build info

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the ESN is 10767044

Above the starter is stamped -

CPL 393
HP 400

Also, after getting a bunch of Ft Irwin moon dust removed, it turns out that there is a plate on my IP and it reads like this -

NTC-400 0002382
0393 3619-G

There is also a "20" with a square around it stamped into the top of the IP, as well as two backwards "C"s next to each other.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tag on F/P,

0002382 is the s/n given to the part, the 20 in square indicates it is a ReCon fuel pump, the 20 is the week and the square denotes the year, this is of no use to you unless you were the purchaser of the part and were trying to get warranty on something.

0393 is the CPL of the engine, if you look at the tag on the engine, that number is there as well. This is used for performance parts ID so when the engine is repaired you know all the parts work together.

3619G is the pump code. This code, when looked up in the PT fuel pump index will tell the rebuilder what combination of springs, barrel and plunger assemblies to use and at what set points a given fuel pressure and flow are to be set at. This is important for a smooth, quick, smoke free acceleration and so the engine makes the correct torque/power throughout the rpm range.

10767044 is the esn, original build says it is a big cam NTC 250

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
didn't even look at the post I did, someone came over. Here is a copy/paste of the image above, sorry.

PRINT ENGINE DATAPLATE
Engine Dataplate - (Original) VIN:
Marketing Model NameService Model NameEPA Model Name
NTC-250 BIG-CAMNH/NT 855Not Available
Shop OrderBuild PlantBuild Date
SO20902CEP - Columbus Engine Plant23 Aug 1978
Warranty Start DateECM CodeFuel Pump Part #
05 Mar 1979Not Available3015908
Fuel Pump CalibrationMarketing Engine Configuration #Technical Engine Configuration #
3369Not AvailableD092265BX02
CPL #Customer NumberCustomer Name
CPL323Not Available01768

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why?

My M916 came with no dataplates anywhere, including the engine dataplate where the engine serial number and Cummins critical parts list number (CPL) should be stamped.

So what I'm hoping is that someone out there with a M915-M920 truck with a Big Cam I engine can tell me the CPL off of their engine. It should be stamped on the engine dataplate on the driver's side of the engine just forward of the air compressor.
---

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority with a Big Cam I 400 vs all the people who have Big Cam III engines. :)
I can't resist asking why you are needing this information? As a fellow M916 Cummins Big Cam I w/Allison 7 speed transmission, I am intrigued.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
didn't even look at the post I did, someone came over. Here is a copy/paste of the image above, sorry.

PRINT ENGINE DATAPLATE
Engine Dataplate - (Original) VIN:
Marketing Model NameService Model NameEPA Model Name
NTC-250 BIG-CAMNH/NT 855Not Available
Shop OrderBuild PlantBuild Date
SO20902CEP - Columbus Engine Plant23 Aug 1978
Warranty Start DateECM CodeFuel Pump Part #
05 Mar 1979Not Available3015908
Fuel Pump CalibrationMarketing Engine Configuration #Technical Engine Configuration #
3369Not AvailableD092265BX02
CPL #Customer NumberCustomer Name
CPL323Not Available01768

Thank you!

So, is there anything to glean from all this? Whats with the NTC-250 part?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't resist asking why you are needing this information? As a fellow M916 Cummins Big Cam I w/Allison 7 speed transmission, I am intrigued.
The CPL is the genetic code of the engine. If you can't provide it to the Cummins counterman, they will send you away.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to know. I didn't know the CPL until recently, because my engine data tag was gone and I didn't know it was listed on the pump and on the block as well.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you!

So, is there anything to glean from all this? Whats with the NTC-250 part?

It meant that the ESN you supplied is for an NTC 250, not a 400. 250hp v.s. 400hp. If you went to a parts place and gave them the ESN supplied here, you would get parts for a 250 HP engine. Heads are the same as are rods, bearings, rockers, but performance parts like turbo, injectors, fuel pump, cam and key, are different. If you assembled an engine with mismatched parts, you would have a helluva time figuring out the issues the engine had after a repair

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It meant that the ESN you supplied is for an NTC 250, not a 400. 250hp v.s. 400hp. If you went to a parts place and gave them the ESN supplied here, you would get parts for a 250 HP engine. Heads are the same as are rods, bearings, rockers, but performance parts like turbo, injectors, fuel pump, cam and key, are different. If you assembled an engine with mismatched parts, you would have a helluva time figuring out the issues the engine had after a repair
Maybe I messed the number up, I'll check again.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my CPL # is 393 which I am told is 14.5 to 1 compression. I drove to Whitehall, OH to pick up the M1074 10 X 10 and the M916 started to smoke excessively and was way down on power. The Cummins dealer tore into the motor to find scoring on the liners #2 and #6. Their best guess is "Lot Rot" from it being a 1979 and only having 279 hours on it when I got it. I talked to Pete at Pittsburg Power and he said as long as I was rebuilding the motor to use CPL 449 specs to get 14 to 1 pistons and LPF liners with Ceramic/Teflon Pistons. This would be a great base for more fuel and boost later. Anyone here gone into the motor on the Big Cam 1?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Matt,

Use the CPL from the block. Which will be 393. That 323 in on quick serve comes back to a 249 cpl actually for a ntc290 with 16.0 : 1 pistons. I am sure you have the 14.5s in the BC1

As far as NHC250 to 400 parts. Everything lower half seems to match. Crank is different due to the front balancer mounting however the rods, main and crank Bearings are the same. Cam is different of course. The heads swap except for the crossheads they are different part numbers due to the Jakes

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks