• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles

red devils dude

well in a odd twist of fate my folks saw what seems (after much picture comparisons) to be a convoy of Oshkosh Truck Corporation Bushmasters MRAP going east on the new york thruway.
any thoughts on why they where driveling them? instead of trucking them on flat-beds.

kcimb

I'm sort of leary of something that weighs 13 tons and has four wheels... Curb weight-26,000 lbs. I imagine it will get stuck fairly easily in the mud, more so than the hummvee and Deuce

ElkyRacer

Re: RE: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles

kcimb said:
I'm sort of leary of something that weighs 13 tons and has four wheels... Curb weight-26,000 lbs. I imagine it will get stuck fairly easily in the mud, more so than the hummvee and Deuce
But they are doing a better job of saving lives. And THAT is all that matters. Up-Armor is only just shy of 10k LESS than that. ANYTHING is going to get stuck, where they get stuck at.

kcimb

Re: RE: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles

ElkyRacer said:
kcimb said:
But they are doing a better job of saving lives. And THAT is all that matters. Up-Armor is only just shy of 10k LESS than that. ANYTHING is going to get stuck, where they get stuck at.
I am more partial to the RG-31....It's already in use in AFGH and Iraq by Marines and EOD personnel. Lighter, 4wd, but just carries 5.

The thing about the Bushmaster...13+ tons on 4 wheels...that's the thing. The hummvee had much less on 4 wheels and it still got stuck plenty of places and sinks pretty easily in mud. on dry firm ground it will run great, but mud, etc....

Of course, testing will determine which one is better, so I will hold my tongue until after the tests.

J2H

RE: Re: RE: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles

They drive them to Charleston AFB, as well.... not sure from where, there is a factory here that builds and works on them

army_greywolf

RE: Re: RE: Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles

I have an update on MRAPs, deployed they are heavy as hell but be damned if they can't take punishment, we had an EFP strike the armor of a truck, which the EFP was aimed at door level for a HUMVEE so it hit the lower hull and left not much more than a nice gash and tear, but ZERO penetration. I could care less if it weighed 200,000 lbs on four wheels, if it keeps my guys safe I'll keep right on fixing it.

B3.3T

Those are probably the new Off-Road MRAP. They are being built in PA and driven to a NY base and airlifted via C-17. The drive provides a good break-in.

JeepMan

It makes you wonder if they're really going to ramp up to the new duece truck. They had one at the NJ show and the thing is way higher off the road then a M35/A1/A2/A3 and has alot of windshield for the enemy to see.
The cargo body is so high the troops will need an elevator to get in it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well in a odd twist of fate my folks saw what seems (after much picture comparisons) to be a convoy of Oshkosh Truck Corporation Bushmasters MRAP going east on the new york thruway.
any thoughts on why they where driveling them? instead of trucking them on flat-beds.
If they had the turrets on, they may be too tall to truck on a flatbed. They could possibly be going to Ft. Dix for Mob. training.
So far I've been in an RG-33, A Caiman, and Drove and rode in a MaxxPro Plus.
The MaxxPro is like driving an armored beach ball, the thing bounces all over the place. It is fast though. I had two ambulance versions, which it really isn't good for. To high, and not much space inside, plus the bad ride.
The RG-33 is a huge honkin' truck. You can put 11 people inside including the gunner. It turns like the Queen Mary though, and it's slow. For a 6x6, it's really bouncy in the rear, you BETTER have your seat belts on or you will get flung into the ceiling. Ask me how I know. :jumpin: The doors are too small, so getting in and out are a pain. There's NO room in the cab, I plain don't fit at 6' 1" and 235 lbs. (Who designs these crew compartments, Oompa Looma's?)
The Caiman is the best of the bunch. Definitely the best ride, easier to get in and out of, decent speed, lots of room in the back. I hear some comments about it rolling easy, but I've not seen any roll. (course they're all supposedly easy to roll) They can hold up to 11, but the ones we have only have 4 seats in the back. They are the most comfortable seats too.
All these were in Iraq, so the size isn't the problem it would be in Afghanistan. Seems there's a lot of problems with these trucks maintenance wise, even at low milage. I'm talking a few thousand. 'Course a lot of it is that the kids today don't have any mechanical apptitude and don't take care of equipment like generations before did.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the way to winnipeg this weekend i got to talk to a couple of soldiers that were driving one of the 6x6 international trucks man are they big trucks .they said there a lot faster ,nice ride ,extended cab .lockable doors they seemed pretty happy with it
How bout those Blue Bombers!! Resounding win...can they keep it up?

sandcobra164

My opinions after attending MRAP U at Red River Army Depot, Texas.

RG-31: Great ride, smooth handling, handles a 60% uphill and a 30% side slope just fine in low range, cramped interior, questionable air assisted doors.

RG-33: Great ride up front, in rear it feels like the back end is fishtailing around corners and bumps. Good power, can do 60 on perimeter road in the straights, plenty of room, bus like forward seating and best in class visibility.

Caiman: SUCKS, Steering is very sloppy (it's all the joint's we're told. On a brand new truck and it WILL get worse over time). Rear suspension sounds as though it's beating itself to death when riding in the rear of the truck. Brakes are weak and it wander's in grooves really bad. Seats were comfy though. Class behind me rolled one into a ditch and all 9 occupants were MEDEVAC'ed , 1 suffered a broken neck, 3 suffered broken bones, 5 were treated with minor injuries and released.

Cougar: Drives great, good power, runs down the road just fine. Seat's were comfy but visibility leaves something to be desired.

M-ATV: **** fine MRAP if not for the visibility issues. Runs to 70 MPH with no problem on the perimeter, corners great, common drivetrain (C7 and Allison combo) and climbs the 60% incline with ease. Awesome A/C.

IMG MaxxPro: Good driving truck, built off of a proven drivetrain, A/C is horrible, wallow's like a pig in mud in the corners but the undisputed mass produced MRAP. IMG has put out more of these than the other Mfg's combined.

My Ranking, M-ATV, RG-33, Cougar, RG-31, MaxxPro, Caiman.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinions after attending MRAP U at Red River Army Depot, Texas.

RG-31: Great ride, smooth handling, handles a 60% uphill and a 30% side slope just fine in low range, cramped interior, questionable air assisted doors.

RG-33: Great ride up front, in rear it feels like the back end is fishtailing around corners and bumps. Good power, can do 60 on perimeter road in the straights, plenty of room, bus like forward seating and best in class visibility.

Caiman: SUCKS, Steering is very sloppy (it's all the joint's we're told. On a brand new truck and it WILL get worse over time). Rear suspension sounds as though it's beating itself to death when riding in the rear of the truck. Brakes are weak and it wander's in grooves really bad. Seats were comfy though. Class behind me rolled one into a ditch and all 9 occupants were MEDEVAC'ed , 1 suffered a broken neck, 3 suffered broken bones, 5 were treated with minor injuries and released.

Cougar: Drives great, good power, runs down the road just fine. Seat's were comfy but visibility leaves something to be desired.

M-ATV: **** fine MRAP if not for the visibility issues. Runs to 70 MPH with no problem on the perimeter, corners great, common drivetrain (C7 and Allison combo) and climbs the 60% incline with ease. Awesome A/C.

IMG MaxxPro: Good driving truck, built off of a proven drivetrain, A/C is horrible, wallow's like a pig in mud in the corners but the undisputed mass produced MRAP. IMG has put out more of these than the other Mfg's combined.

My Ranking, M-ATV, RG-33, Cougar, RG-31, MaxxPro, Caiman.
I haven't been in the smaller MRAP's, but for practical usage, the Caiman is the preferred truck in Iraq. (Although they've all been pulled to go to Afghanistan)
They have a better turning radius than the RG's, the smoothest ride as well. The back compartment is much easier to put cargo in, although they could use more tiedowns. They are easily converted to CASEVAC duties, the RG's are almost impossible to convert for litters. And the RG's ride is bad, you MUST be seatbelted in the last two rows or you WILL be thrown into the roof!! (Ask me how I know!) The small doors on the RG's make it very difficult to get in and out of with your combat gear on, especially if you are tall.
Also the MaxxPro's hydraulics for the rear doors ALL leak, and the motors don't last long.

ecupirate

From my personal experience in the box driving everyday for 10 months the caiman is the far superior vehicle all around, its easy to get in, drives good, rides good and the AC is awesome. The RG33 is a pain in the a** to get in and out of for everyone from the driver to the guys in the back. The Maxxpro rides horrible with its spring suspension and the seat does not go far enough back. Also the maxxpro ramps are always messing up and hand pumping it is horrible.

Brentzilla

We delt with the Caimans, MaxxPro, and RG-33 and liked the Caiman the best. RG-33 was so big and impossible to get in and out of, esp for the driver. MaxxPro was alright, but the Caiman was the best and had the best visibility.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks