• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 Mule hauler

nickd

I have been welding, cutting, welding and ginding on the M416A2 generator trailer since Gilbert to get it ready for its transformation from generator platform to be an accecptable mule hauler. The distance between the fenders was increased, tie down slots were cut into the deck with plate steel reinforcement plates over the top, new shocks and a new master cylinder were added. The mule is so top heavy I elected not to use the military installed trailer tie downs and went with the trailer deck mounts using the ratchet straps to grab the mule in the rear and the front handles. Here is a shot of the first load test.

Attachments

mangus580

The 3/4 ton series trailers offer 'tilt' deck.... ramps not needed.

Now you need to slap some of them jerry can mounts back on the sides :)

You have the bows for the trailer? (I have a spare set I might part with)

acetomatoco

I would use the stretch rather than the compression method of tie downs.. As a mule has no suspension, it matters not how high the tie downs are... Having all 4 tie down points near the rear is not good practice. I would run the tiedowns from the 4 trailer tie down loops to the axles, either with J hooks or axle straps much more practical and easier to rig.

mangus580

You could also get the 'wheel' tie down sets like race car guys use.... its a 'web' of sorts that gets tossed over 2 of the wheels, (opposite corners) and ties down right to the bed.

acetomatoco

Remember that the design is not for a tilt deck trailer, rather is is a folding drawbar so more trailers will fit in a fixed space on a rail car or ship deck or hold...the draw bar is not designed for stresses incurred in dumping...

mangus580

Alas.... I did not say dumping :)

I would not use one of these as a dumping trailer, anymore than I would a snowmobile trailer which uses a similar design....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty cool, Nick! I remember this trailer from Gilbert, and it was a good starter for the purpose you had in mind. Now, you have to paint the mule and the trailer tan to match your M35!

nickd

Not sure what color to paint the trailer yet. It's been converted to 12v tail lights (light gulbs)and an M series trailer receptacle is newly installed on the pick up truck. Not sure about a tan mule Mike. I do have the bows and a green top so we may be going with USMC green on the trailer.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: M116A2 Mule hauler

Nick:
I knew when you PM'ed me that this would be an excellent MULE hauler. Very nice job on the conversion. I put 12 Volt LED lights on mine so it would not be a worry of having them burn out.

I know the trailers are well built but I added strength to the front frame by welding additional tube stock to the frame from the area of the bed to the hitch. The bows and a top would add to the custom made look of this and on mine the top is strong enough to use it as a sleeping platform in good weather. Pictures of it are in my photo album.

nickd

I have since sold the trailer and picked up a drash tent trailer from at the time on GL. It is longer than the humvee generator trailer and also already wide enough to accommodate the mule. There are also heavy tie downs on each corner

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks