• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1,680 mile HEMTT recovery

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pdf... I'm familiar with the Bus Nuts group, one of my best friends has bus fever the same way we have MV fever. I know, I don't understand it either, but they look at us like we're crazy the same way we look at them. He's coming with me on my HEMTT recovery just as I have gone along with him on a number of lengthy bus recoveries. Anyway, it's funny to hear some of those guys talk about the crap oil they use... WalMart oil, whatever they can find, not following the manuals, running 15w-40 like it doesn't matter. I guarantee you those are the same guys who then call the engines "green leakers" and say stuff like "If it isn't leaking, it's out of oil".

I read a quote on that Bus Nut site once, it said something about how they "buy run-down old buses with a million miles on them that blow out oil, and then conclude that 'all Detroits leak oil'. It's a fallacy. A Detroit in good condition DOES NOT LEAK."

Jon
Rotella T1 straight 40 , CF-2, is what I use in my 453N. I called O'reillys and had them order 2 cases (3 gallons in each)....took about a week to receive.

I did an out of frame rebuild a year ago, completely to spec (except for a journal that was .0004 under, ok for my application considering a crush bearing is its mating surface)....and it does leak. Not a lot, just a small drip after each run. I read the entire 600 page rebuild manual (vintage 1974).....and it clearly states these engines drip oil.

JDToumanian

Well, the EUC finally cleared and the HEMTT recovery trip will be next week! I have a pickup appointment at 0800 hours next Tuesday, 2/9/16. We'll be heading out from CA two days before that, on Sunday the 7th. I've scheduled the time off at work and I've got a full-size rental van reserved for 8 days (for the round trip) starting this Saturday the 6th.

I spoke with the site manager, and he told me that my truck has been moved off base to a storage yard at a local towing company. He said he drove it there personally and he's driven it several other times, and that it always starts right up and drives perfectly. He couldn't think of any reason it would not make the trip home... So that was good to hear.

After picking up the truck and servicing it, our goal is to get to Bells, TX by the next morning where I'm buying a spare HT740D transmission from Jeff at War Time Finds. Talking to him on the phone, I said we were heading to Oklahoma City to pick up a pallet of tires after we left his place... He said he was going there the next day to pick up some pallets, and if I emailed him my release form, he'd bring my tires back with him. Awesome! That saves me the 200 mile trip up to Oklahoma City, so we'll be heading home from Bells. So our route will most likely be a big diagonal from I-30, to I-20, to I-10. I can hardly wait!

Jon

agazza2

If you are coming through Phoenix and have time to stop, let us know. There are a few of us that would like to check out your HEMTT.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck, If your on I10 west of Phoenix and need anything be sure to let me know.

dk8019

Very good! Who did you go through to get the beast insured? Farm Bureau handled mine in VA, they have my other farm vehicles as well!

JDToumanian

If you are coming through Phoenix and have time to stop, let us know. There are a few of us that would like to check out your HEMTT.
If everything goes smoothly, that sounds like fun... I'd like to see your M932 conversion too. Jeff at WTF picking up my tires for me really helps free up the schedule!

Jon

JDToumanian

Who did you go through to get the beast insured? Farm Bureau handled mine in VA, they have my other farm vehicles as well!
I'm striking out so far. I've tried Condon Skelly, J.C. Taylor, Hagerty, Gulfway, Geico, and I'm waiting to hear back from Chubb. Next on the list is AAA, then maybe a local commercial truck agent... I don't think I can qualify it as a farm vehicle.

The reasons for denial have been, "We don't insure heavy trucks", or "It needs to be 30 years old to qualify", or "You need to have had a commercial license for at least 2 years."

I'd love to hear how other HEMTT owners have their trucks insured, but please PM me so we do not run afoul of the "no insurance threads" rule. Thanks!

Jon

ghitch75

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm striking out so far. I've tried Condon Skelly, J.C. Taylor, Hagerty, Gulfway, Geico, and I'm waiting to hear back from Chubb. Next on the list is AAA, then maybe a local commercial truck agent... I don't think I can qualify it as a farm vehicle.

The reasons for denial have been, "We don't insure heavy trucks", or "It needs to be 30 years old to qualify", or "You need to have had a commercial license for at least 2 years."

I'd love to hear how other HEMTT owners have their trucks insured, but please PM me so we do not run afoul of the "no insurance threads" rule. Thanks!

Jon
You have a farm policy? ...The M931A2 i have is on a farm policy for about $78.00 a year with my other truck and equipment....

And too here in Indiana if it has farm plates you don't need a CDL.....

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jon
I'd like to know this info too, I'm just now starting the process.

Gunner USN

Jon
Have you tried Continental Western Group @ (800) 235-2942. They insured my 99 CUCV II, for a great price per year. :tank:

JDToumanian

Gulfway called back this morning, apparently someone reviewed my application from the previous day and had a change of heart... So that's good. One more thing to check off the to-do list!

Jon

JDToumanian

Well I'm just about packed up... I pick up the rental van tomorrow, load up, and head out Sunday Morning. I've grabbed and thrown in a lot more than this list, but this is the list of things I thought to bring over the last few months. Some stuff, like the block heater, I won't be installing on this trip unless I have to drain the coolant for some reason, and the air filters I decided not to bring once I saw how big they are!

HAND TOOLS

- Ratchet Wrenches + Extensions (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4)
- Sockets: Standard, Metric, Impact (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1)
- Socket Adapter Tree
- Wrenches: Standard, Metric, Ratcheting
- Breaker Bars
- Torque Wrenches
- Screwdrivers
- Channel Lock Pliers
- Vise Grips
- Razor Blades
- Crescent Wrenches
- Pipe Wrench
- Hammer + Punches
- Dykes

AIR TOOLS

- Glad Hand Air Hose
- Tire Filler Valve
- 1/2" Impact Wrench
- 90 degree Die Grinder + Sanding Disks and Cutoff Wheels

TIRE CHANGE STUFF

- 1" Impact Wrench
- Slave Air Tank
- Hoses
- Jack
- Wood Cribbing Blocks
- Tire Valve Core Tool

FLUID CHANGE STUFF

- TranSynd oil: 14 gallons
- Transmission Oil Filter
- Engine Oil - Shell Rotella T1 40 wt: 13 gallons
- Cartridge Oil Filter
- Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter
- Spin-on Oil Filter
- Transfer Case Oil - Rotella T1 50 wt: 5 gallons
- Gear Oil DELO ESI 85W-140 for Axle Top-off
- Oil Drain Pans
- Funnels

CLEANING PRODUCTS

- Terry Towels
- Box of Blue Shop Paper Towels
- Moving Blankets
- Hand Cleaner
- Water
- Windex
- Brake Parts Cleaner
- Trash Bags

INTERCOM

- CX-10071/U Cable
- MX-7777B/GRC Transient Suppressor
- CX-13089 Cable
- AM1780/VRC Amplifier
- 2 x CX-4723 Cables
- 2 x C-2298/VRC Remotes
- 2 x H-161/U Headsets

OTHER

- Air Filters
- Air Dryer Rebuild Kit
- Ratchet Straps
- Block Heater
- Fuel Filters + Water Separator Rebuild Kit
- BreakFree CLP
- Grease Gun + Grease
- Bridge Plate Numbers (Because they're missing and I have OCD)
- Duct Tape
- Pipe Joint Compound

IMG_2311.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks