• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Reusable... Primary Fuel Filter...?

AZK9

PrimaryFuelFilterM35A2-0001.JPG PrimaryFuelFilterM35A2-0002.JPG

Hi Folks...

For the past few months I've been trying to learn as much as possible about the M35A2. There's so much
information out there that I've been discovering that some of it seems conflicting and therefore... confusing.

Please keep in mind that I am not an experienced vehicle mechanic... simply a person who loves history,
old military vehicles, using tools and doing my best to help preserve what I've got here for future generations
to learn from and enjoy.

I've been reading through lots of SS threads, TM's, website data and as much deuce related information as I can find.
I've also been talking to people who have tried to help/inform on a local/personal level.

Long story short... I've got, from what I was told, an original, NOS Primary Fuel Filter for the M35A2 Multifuel.
It appears to be the one that can be cleaned and reused over-and-over again.

The product ID on the filter reads: "053754-01 FACET FILTER PRODUCTS DIV".

It is pictured on the right side of each of the two photos I've posted above.

It is roughly the same dimensions as the NAPA 3511 metal filter (seen in the photos at left)...
however the center hole measurements of each are very different.

The NAPA 3511 center measures roughly 9/8ths (of an inch) inside diameter, yet the FACET FILTER
measures only about 9/16ths (of an inch) inside diameter.

I suppose my questions (at this point) are twofold:

[1] Is this '053754-01 FACET FILTER' the original and correct, reusable filter for the M35A2?

[2] If it is the correct reusable filter, why is the top so different from the NAPA 3511?

Thanks in advance for any information that might help me figure out what I've got here...
and... if the FACET FILTER is one I ought to put into the primary fuel canister of my deuce. :D

AZK9

good stuff here.....then again, it may not be an answer you seek.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?9482-primary-filter-help-needed/page2
Thanks for posting that SS link! I had read it before, but must have missed a key filter number in the following
post made by doghead back on 02-06-2007.

I "borrowed" this info from another reputable mil vehicle site.(I hope no one minds)

I have read a lot of discussion about the correct primary fuel filter for
the M35A2. Some listers have complained that they bought the incorrect one.
Here is what TM 9-2320-361-34P says is the correct filter.
145389 from Allied Automotive
Here are some alternatives that the US Government uses;
M3962 Marvel Engineering Co.
053301 Facet Enterprises Inc.
053754-01 Facet Enterprises Inc.
1-058 Fleetguard Inc.
4089 Allied Automotive
6664482 Purolator Products Inc.
8729068 US Government
929228 Parker-Hannifin
Back in February, 2007... there was discussion related to: if the 'metal hump' on top and bottom of the FACET 035754-01 filter was an appropriate
design in keeping fuel from just pushing past the filter (since there is no room for a rubber gasket).

So... that's something that still gives me some concern. :shrugs:

Jeepsinker

You can put a rubber gasket there if you want. The base plate that it sits on is spring loaded. Plenty of room. Or you can just do away with that garbage and install a spin on filter base and filter that actually works.

AZK9

You can put a rubber gasket there if you want. The base plate that it sits on is spring loaded. Plenty of room. Or you can just do away with that garbage and install a spin on filter base and filter that actually works.

Hi Jeepsinker...

I've done some study of replacing the original system with 'spin-ons'. It had been on my original priority list,
but since this (new-to-me) 1970 Kaiser Deuce has been effectively draining my wallet in recent weeks, I plan
to hold off on the spin-on conversion until I can better afford those components in the not so distant future.

Right now I am trying to learn-by-doing what the TM's and folks like you are teaching me. It's a slow but steady process,
but it is also a very rewarding one.

BTW... When I look down into the insides of the FACET 053754-01 filter I have here... I wonder how it provides filtering.
What I mean is, there does not seem to be any type of 'material' inside (like I can see is a part of the NAPA 3511).

Is there evidence that the 'MIL SPEC' reusable filters are problematic? Just wondering.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did not read all replies, if I miss something, I'm sorry.

Yes that is a reusable primary filter. The primary is to stop the big junk and to settle out water. I have used those filters and like them. The secondary filters are of a spun yarn or pleated media and filter smaller micron. You'll be fine with the one in the pic.

Jeepsinker

You can convert the primary to spin on with a $27 napa filter base and a $13 filter. My primary is a 10 micron filter with water drain. If you buy from fleetfilter.com, you get napa filters and bases at about half the in store cost.

AZK9

I did not read all replies, if I miss something, I'm sorry.

Yes that is a reusable primary filter. The primary is to stop the big junk and to settle out water. I have used those filters and like them. The secondary filters are of a spun yarn or pleated media and filter smaller micron. You'll be fine with the one in the pic.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear you've had success with them.

Have you actually been able to effectively clean them enough to 'reuse' them, or is it best to just replace with new during a filter change?

I spoke with a guy (locally) who said they're good to keep on-hand for an emergency, but thinks filters with materials like the 'spun yarn or pleated media' as you mentioned, are probably better in the long run.

Since I've got both the NAPA and the FACET available to put into the deuce... I'm now trying to decide which one to install.

AZK9

You can convert the primary to spin on with a $27 napa filter base and a $13 filter. My primary is a 10 micron filter with water drain. If you buy from fleetfilter.com, you get napa filters and bases at about half the in store cost.
Nice info! Thanks. [thumbzup]

It sure seems that it makes primary filter changes a whole lot easier!

AZK9

Jeepsinker...

... I've done some study of replacing the original system with 'spin-ons'. It had been on my original priority list,
but since this (new-to-me) 1970 Kaiser Deuce has been effectively draining my wallet in recent weeks, I plan
to hold off on the spin-on conversion until I can better afford those components in the not so distant future. ...
When I mentioned the above (in an earlier post) I was actully thinking of the cost of 'spin-ons' for both fuel and oil. Sorry I did not make that very clear.

It's been a L-O-N-G day!

My bad. :)

AZK9

Yeah, I hose mine down with brake clean spray.
That's good to know. I experimented with brake and carb cleaner to help get rid of all the crud and sediment that
had blocked the drain cocks of my secondary filter housings.

Your experience and help is much appreciated! [thumbzup]

Jeepsinker

I've seen way too much trash get around these filters regardless of the element you have installed. Poor design. I had a mechanical booster pump full of trash and rust because if it.

Akicita

I purchased my Deuce with the original filters but replaced them with the spin-on type a few years ago. For a non-mechanic like myself, it was a matter of following instructions that came with the conversion kit, checking the TMs, and wishing for a professional tool kit instead of what I had available. The hardest thing for me was loosening some of the old connections that hadn't been touched in 40 or so years.

Now that that's done, replacing filters is quick and easy.

Pictures:
- original
- kit
- new

Attachments

AZK9

...wishing for a professional tool kit instead of what I had available. The hardest thing for me was loosening some of the old connections that hadn't been touched in 40 or so years.
Hi Akicita...

Thanks for the post and pics! :-D

I would be lost without my tools. Most of mine are nice quality, but recently I've been trying to build-up a toolbox of quality,
old, American made, flea market/yard sale finds specifically for the deuce.

I hear you about those 40 year old connections! I've had to employ the 'Heat and Rapid Cool' technique to get a lot of these
nuts and bolts to come free. Still... I've got three wheels of lug nuts I just can't remove no matter what I've tried!

I can see how your spin-on setup can make life a lot easier once the initial install is completed. Prior to getting my deuce,
I had written down a list of items I wanted to 'upgrade' from the original. Spin-on setups for fuel and oil were near the top of
the list.

As I have been learning-by-doing on this M35A2, I've had to rethink some things here-n-there. The spin-ons are still
on the list, but since I've already done the initial work of cleaning things up and replacing with new filters... they're
a little bit less of a priority for the moment.

In the end, it's all part of becoming more educated about what makes my deuce such an awesome machine and...
how to keep it that way!

Again...
Thanks for the post! [thumbzup]

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased my Deuce with the original filters but replaced them with the spin-on type a few years ago. For a non-mechanic like myself, it was a matter of following instructions that came with the conversion kit, checking the TMs, and wishing for a professional tool kit instead of what I had available. The hardest thing for me was loosening some of the old connections that hadn't been touched in 40 or so years.

Now that that's done, replacing filters is quick and easy.

Pictures:
- original
- kit
- new
Don't know if you have spin on for the secondary and final but that primary spin on is a good call being a 14 micron then myself would run a secondary NAPA 3512 at 10 micron and the final NAPA 33540 at 6 micron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks