• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual fuel tank install

rustystud

I totally forgot I was that I was going to post my dual fuel install from this last summer. My main computor crashed (motherboard capacitors blew) so I did not have access to all my pictures. I went out and took some more today. I don't have all the little install pictures I took yet but these will give you the general idea. There has been a lot of dual tank installs but none that just used "one" switch to handle all the stuff (except Gringletaubs and he only used one tank LOL ! ) that goes along with a dual system. The main difference in mine is the "one-way" check valves I use and the 3 way fuel switch. Also my main switch on the dash is a dual throw with 3 rows of 3 pins each. The center row of pins is the "common" meaning they go to the fuel gauge and power. The upper row is the right tank and the lower is the left tank. The one-way check valves are mounted to my fuel water separater filter. This prevents the fuel going back into the other tank. The 3 way fuel switch routes the return fuel back to it's proper tank. I'll make up a diagram showing the fuel lines and the electrical lines later.019.jpg021.jpg026.jpg024.jpg032.jpg033.jpg030.jpg031.jpg014.jpg016.jpg These last two pictures show the 3 way fuel switch. I know it's hard to make out since I painted everything green. Pictures 5-6-7-8 show the panel switch, again it is hard to see. I have pictures of the switch itself I will get off the old computer later. The first picture shows the left side tank and picture 2 shows the right side tank. I totally cleaned out the tanks and rebuilt the fuse box on both tanks. I also installed new pumps and new fuel level senders. It works great ! Just flip the switch up and your on the right tank, flip it down and your on the left tank.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

Folk, please try to post in the correct forums.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved it to the Deuce modification forum.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the idea rusty. Seems I'm always stopping for fuel, or close to running out on some long trips. Two tanks would give me a nice comfort zone.

Jeepsinker

This is why I have a 100 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed with a transfer pump. Sure, I have to stop to fuel up, but it was a lot easier install for a lazy person. Plus I want to keep my spare tire and pioneer tool rack in the factory location.

Reactions: HN6

rustystud

It was posted already - almost 10 years ago :wink:. Here...

G.
Thanks Gerhard. I see you used the same tank, just divided it. One thing I didn't want to do was use the change over switch that my Chevy uses like your switch. I wanted threaded fittings so I could use PTFE hose. The problem was no ones makes this switch in a metal design that uses NPT threads. At least none that I could afford ! So since I would be using 2 fuel pumps I was able to use the one-way check valves as my switching device. Just cut off the power to one pump and energize the other. The real problem was finding a good 3 way fuel switch for the return lines. I got mine on eBay for $80.00 .

rustystud

Love the idea rusty. Seems I'm always stopping for fuel, or close to running out on some long trips. Two tanks would give me a nice comfort zone.
I decided this would be best for my "Grand Alaskan Expedition" with my son. I will also be adding about ten 5 gallon fuel cans to be carried in the trailer. Either that or a large fuel tank with transfer pump.

rustystud

This is why I have a 100 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed with a transfer pump. Sure, I have to stop to fuel up, but it was a lot easier install for a lazy person. Plus I want to keep my spare tire and pioneer tool rack in the factory location.
I like the idea of a large auxiliary fuel tank, but it would have to go in the trailer. That was also why I added the dual tire carriers to my M105 last year. It allowed me to add the extra tank to the truck. I also put the "Pioneer" tools there too.

Jeepsinker

Just be sure to use some kind of insulator under the auxiliary tank if you get one, just some conveyor mat or wood or something. I just bolted mine down to the metal floor in the bed, and now a year or so later I have a leaking auxiliary tank to fix. An ounce of prevention...

Jeepsinker

And I know you aren't made of money, but for a trip that long you should really really look into the Waterloo overdrive kit. Best money you can spend on one of these trucks if you drive any distance. It's almost like having a whole new truck.

rustystud

And I know you aren't made of money, but for a trip that long you should really really look into the Waterloo overdrive kit. Best money you can spend on one of these trucks if you drive any distance. It's almost like having a whole new truck.
Thanks for the tip on the tank Garrett. That makes a lot of sense to isolate it. As far as the overdrive unit goes, I have a spare transmission that I plan on rebuilding this winter and I "hope" I will have some money to buy the overdrive kit then.

Jeepsinker

Do whatever you have to do to get the money together for it. You won't regret it!!! And once you have it it ain't going anywhere, plus you get much better fuel economy with it.

rustystud

Hey Garrett speaking about transmissions, how is the front seal mod going ? Before I finish the transmission I want to install this input shaft support unit. Being able to fill the transmission to it's proper level will increase bearing life and synchro's too.
Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks