• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pioneer tools

KansasBobcat

With some dealers asking $245.00 sets of pioneer tools with straps, their loss or theft is a concern. ( In San Antonio the thieves will steal the copper lines out of church air conditioners!) Sportsmans Guide has some Swedish and Danish surplus shovels for $16.00. I order the used Swedish one. It has a lower profile so doesn"t stick out as much from the side of the M151 and is less likely to snag your cuffs. The blade is 2 or 3 inches longer than US shovel but if you can't live with that you can modify. The Danish shovels are new but the blade end is too blunt to look like GI shovel. So my original ones stay at home and will only be used for display where it is important.

Lindsaym151

Got all my stuff at ACE hardware !
Never been confronted with issues about the tools!
**** they went off base with them any way!
all for the same reasons!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob there's a Surplus dealer outside of Killeen that has stacks of pioneer tools. He's the one I found the WWII shovel that ended up with Tinwoodsman at. I believe they were between $12-$20 depending on what you get. Might not be a bad spot to get a couple extra sets to keep handy. You have to dig through the stacks to find exactly what you want but the place is really amazing and worth a trip.

Amer-team

check the garage sales. You will usually find a good number 2, D handle shovel for 5 to 10 dollars. Also a good place to find a single bit axe in the same price range. But there are different curvatures in the neck of the shovels and that can make a difference in how the shovel rides on the vehicle. At the last Portland MVPA convention, 3 guys came by and borrowed the shovel off my GPW to go check ones that were for sale, so they could get the right shape. Also most civilians won't steal a shovel, because that may mean work. :)

Flyingvan911

When my storage locker got broken into, the three items that weren't even moved were the pioneer tools for my deuce. Although the fact that they are OD green may have caused them to decide against stealing items that would be easy to identify.

KansasBobcat

Bob there's a Surplus dealer outside of Killeen that has stacks of pioneer tools. He's the one I found the WWII shovel that ended up with Tinwoodsman at. I believe they were between $12-$20 depending on what you get. Might not be a bad spot to get a couple extra sets to keep handy. You have to dig through the stacks to find exactly what you want but the place is really amazing and worth a trip.
Thanks, Mark. Please send me the name of the place. I love surplus stores!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Mark. Please send me the name of the place. I love surplus stores!
My mistake, it's actually in Gatesville (I've only been there once). No one seems to know the name but I guess the owner is Lujan (loo han) and it's next door to a vet clinic. The vet clinic address is 1300 Hwy 36
Bypass N. Gatesville, TX 76528. If you make it there you'll have no problem telling which one is the surplus store. It's worth a trip just to wander around inside for an hour or so. Let me know if you need a co-driver.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks