• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 ambulance box build reference

Skinny

Here is the specifics on the rear steel support member that's in the ceiling. You can see that it a rectangular piece which makes no contact with the roof skin.
IMG_1161.jpgIMG_1162.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1165.jpgIMG_1166.jpgIMG_1167.jpg

Skinny

I'm not sure what you could off the shelf for prebent metal that will work but I'm sure you could fab something from a rectangular box steel tubing. I think all it does is lay on top of the side rails to support the weight like a header panel. I would pull the back upper skin off which should give you enough access to do repairs. You may be able to weld something in place with new captive nuts and just re-rivet the panel back on.

squaretaper

Skinny, when I did my M1010 camper build I considered putting the bed across the box like your drawing, but didn't want to lose the passthrough or the ability to haul 10-12' lumber and whatnot. Ended up building a murphy bed that folds down across the same space- when not in use it's a cabinet-type thing with the aux batts and electrical panel underneath and additional storage above. I'll take some pics if that interests you.

Skinny

Definitely post up some photos, it would be nice to see what you have and maybe a link to a build thread if you have one. Always good to see these as a reference for myself or anyone else down the road looking for the information.

squaretaper

Here's some quick pics of the build out: Murphy bed cabinet on the port side that has 12v system and inverter below and storage above. To starboard is one of the 2 55gal aux fuel tanks. Aft to port is a removable tool cabinet that houses tools, spare parts, and some kitchen gear (induction burner, electric kettle, etc) and aft to starboard is a 12v fridge and the other fuel tank and spare tire mount. The cabinet build is with 1/2" marine ply and brass boat latch hardware, done on the cheap and to no particular standard of woodworking (I'm a welder, not a woodchipper). Bed is tri-fold memory foam type twin off amazon, think it was 90bucks. There's extra room in the mattress cabinet for pillows and blankets, and we run a 12v mattress heater off the deep cycle battery (room for two in the cabinet but only one installed right now) in the winter. Battery is connected to the trucks electrical system via a Blue Sea isolator solenoid- it charges when the truck is running but disconnects when stopped so as to not drain the truck batts, and has a 12v switch panel to control the bed heater, fan, lights, and fridge. USB ports, 12v fan, and 12v lights installed on a little shelf over the bed on the starboard side.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449773972.681915.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449773987.328105.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449773997.244077.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774007.379309.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774018.177703.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774027.594739.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774038.844626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774051.478599.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774060.794016.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449774071.594879.jpg

Benefits of a camper build this way seem to me to be that the passthrough is maintained and the central space of the box stays clear. A bed is a big thing in a small box, and when you're using the bed you're not using anything else, and vice-versa, so stowing it when not sleeping makes sense. Plans are to continue the cabinet work around the starboard side, install solar panels on the box top, and get rid of the aft fuel tank- 55 extra gallons seems to be more than enough. If anyone wants a free tank I'm in RI. Also this is my first time posting pics so please advise if I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:

jamesgrizzlyadams

Thanks for the awesome information and photos on the tear down of the box. I have an M1010 and have been using it for weekend camping trips for the past two years, with various temporary configurations in the back. I've even done a handful of winter camping trips with temps well below zero. It's finally come time for me to rip out all the old insulation as I had a recent roof leak, and I'm looking to improve the "R Value" of the truck for cold weather camping to reduce the heating requirement.

Thanks for taking the time to post all those detailed photos! It really helps to plan out and determine what materials I may be able to use...

Can't believe I'm just stumbling across this thread now!

RumRunner742

Not sure why I'm just now seeing this thread, but I love it. After seeing the box gutted I think the vertical supports should be strong enough to support a cabover bed if I run the top beam the length of the entire box. Any input is welcome.

mM1010.jpg

Rumrunner have you done anymore with the cabover bed idea? I'm toying with the idea of doing that but raising the roof of the box at the same time so it's flat on top. Since I don't have access to the equipment or skills to weld aluminum I've been researching using metal studs and tracking normally used for building construction. It's becoming popular for RV/mobile tiny house builds, and I think it'll work great for me in this project.

cucvrus

If you were near PA I have a few M1010's bodies I will be parting with soon. You could cut the top off of yours and add part of the side walls and top to yours from my donor parts. Make it 6ft+ inside. Nicer than the stooped over M1010 inside. Good Luck.

KamikazeKunze

Yes! I wish I would have bumped mine up as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

And when I look at these pictures I can see it would be a task to raise the roof but it would not require and changing of the rear header or doors. I think most people could live with the lower rear opening if they could get more headroom. I hand dug my basement out so I could swing an axe in the basement. That wasn't my intentions but that is how far I dug down by hand. I carried all the dirt/rock out in 5 gallon buckets. Never again. Going down on that job was easier than going up. In this case going up would do the task and complete the nice job. You done a great job on that M1010. A+.

kapnklug

Hey Cucvrus, I'm building an M1010 camper right now & was thinking of doing exactly what you proposed with the roof -- cutting out the center and adding the upper 10" from a donor box, on top of the side headers. I'm in southern NY and PA is not a long hike for me. Do you have a roof you could sell me?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks