• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

75 mph in a Deuce

drivebymashing

Ok what i meant was in theory if it could turn 8 grand the gearing would allow it to go 80mph. I know everything else on the truck would absoultely fly apart. Would be one heck of a way to go. If I die in a deuce I want it to be at 80mph at 8 thousand rpm.

drivebymashing

Not without "high speed bearings" and oversized brakes. We all know its harder to stop a deuce at 90mph tempty than it is at 55mph hauling 10 tons and plus towing 10 tons with no trailer brakes.

MattMajcher123

Yeah it is doable, obviously. All my vibrations and rattles actually stop once I get over 50, so yes it is smooth, just like you said. Just be sure your brakes are in good shape. Tires too. And be sure your front axle u-bolts are tight.
Have you ever thought about doing lock out hubs on the front? I'm sure you can find them some where, and it would help your acceleration, mileage and wear and tear! Congrats on such a sweet deuce, I want mine to be exactly like yours some day! Cheers!!

Jeepsinker

Matt, I've had locking hubs on my front axle for years now. I would suggest doing an upgrade to a better engine if your goal is to make your deuce like mine. I got 28,300 miles out of the LDS I installed when this thread was started. It actually pulled the #4 liner down into the oil pan and the counterweight on the crankshaft was breaking pieces off as it was running. And I had no idea. It wasn't running poorly, didn't have excess blowby, no miss, nothing. I started it up to move it one morning and it locked up before even reaching idle speed.

I have a Cummins swap in the works.

MattMajcher123

Matt, I've had locking hubs on my front axle for years now. I would suggest doing an upgrade to a better engine if your goal is to make your deuce like mine. I got 28,300 miles out of the LDS I installed when this thread was started. It actually pulled the #4 liner down into the oil pan and the counterweight on the crankshaft was breaking pieces off as it was running. And I had no idea. It wasn't running poorly, didn't have excess blowby, no miss, nothing. I started it up to move it one morning and it locked up before even reaching idle speed.

I'm sorry to hear about the LDS taking a turn for the worst... Just out of curiosity, and wanting to expand my knowledge, what are the differences between the LDS-465 and the LDT-465? I know that they are basically the same engine, and the S stands for supercharged (even though both motors have a turbo charger😏) but the LDS still makes a little more power for the 5-ton application. It seems every time I try and research it, nothing comes up. Perhaps I'm not searching the threads enough, as I am fairly new to Steel Soldiers, but a Deuce enthusiast. Also, I hope your Cummins swap is going smoothly! How long have you been in the works? Do you have a thread going on your swap? Sure would be interesting to see your progress with your deuce. Hope I can hear her run soon, if you would post a video when you're done. Although I more than likely won't be on here for a while, effective 11. December, as I am being shipped too basic training. Destination San Antonio Tx., Lackland AFB. Thanks for the response.
Matt

MattMajcher123

In regards to my previous post about asking you to post a video of your Cummins swap, Ironically, I just happened to see the video you posted on FB on the Deuce and a Half page!! I instantly recognized the radio and just about 💩 my pants when my brain clicked and saw your profile name😂 Congrats again, glad everything went well!

Jeepsinker

Well, I guess I don't need to post a link to my channel for you then.��
I'm still collecting parts for the Cummins conversion. No idea how long it will take me.

The LDS465-1A originally had a different camshaft allowing more lift and duration, higher ratio intake rocker arms, pistons with more compression rings, two piston coolers per cylinder instead of one, different springs in both the governor and advance units of the injection pump, and a hydraulic head with modified spill port size and angle to change injection timing and duration, plus a slightly larger delivery valve, resulting in more fuel delivered in a slightly longer spurt. This is also aided by higher spill port pressure (60-90psi as opposed to 30-45) provided by the upgraded boost pump that comes on the LDS pump.

MattMajcher123

Well, I guess I don't need to post a link to my channel for you then.��
I'm still collecting parts for the Cummins conversion. No idea how long it will take me.

The LDS465-1A originally had a different camshaft allowing more lift and duration, higher ratio intake rocker arms, pistons with more compression rings, two piston coolers per cylinder instead of one, different springs in both the governor and advance units of the injection pump, and a hydraulic head with modified spill port size and angle to change injection timing and duration, plus a slightly larger delivery valve, resulting in more fuel delivered in a slightly longer spurt. This is also aided by higher spill port pressure (60-90psi as opposed to 30-45) provided by the upgraded boost pump that comes on the LDS pump.
Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated! And what's the link to your channel? YouTube?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks