• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

75 mph in a Deuce

ivbeenrokd

Yeah it is doable, obviously. All my vibrations and rattles actually stop once I get over 50, so yes it is smooth, just like you said. Just be sure your brakes are in good shape. Tires too. And be sure your front axle u-bolts are tight.
Is your speedometer corrected to display actual road speed?

Katavic918

That's pretty cool. Good point about making sure those ubolts are tight. That applies to any speed obviously, but it would be a **** of a sight to see a deuce on its belly showering sparks at 75 mph.

74M35A2

Nobody cares how fast anyone can go
All records broken recently ..................
What really is a concern is how fast one can stop them Rock Wells.

Don't need anything except soldier "B" with a stopwatch..........

So do this
Have your favorite spot to do this........................
Go as fast as you like thru your special spot
Then throw the anchors and do the best one can do and measure.
We ain't out here to hurt anybody anything.
My favorite is down-hill

The Vette stops 167 feet at 100 MPH
The Lexus stopped 183 feet ditto
The Tiger stopped 200 feet ditto
The MGC stopped 230 feet ditto
The Goat stopped at 180 feet
The ZO6 stopped 152 feet ditto
The Camaro stopped at 160 feet
I have to go try the new Camaro...

Oh phooey
This means I have to go test the Deuce!

But I wish I had a real Cobra
Zero to a hundred and back to zero in 13.8 seconds
Congrats on 75mph! I owned my first M35A2 for only a week because it would not go over 50mph without threatening to throw the rods out the bottom. Bought a 925A2 and those roll 67mph on the governor @ 2150rpm.

Shifter kart (250cc dirt bike class, front/rear disc) can do 0-100-0mph in 10.0 flat. $2500 used. Tremendous performance value.

Last edited:

jmoneysmithmas

That's some serious speed in an old truck! My truck (Gladys) will get up to 51 at redline, and 48mph is my usual highway/long-distance speed. Once, I put Gladys in neutral on a wide open grade in rural Montana and got up to 67 before i chickened out (Gladys was loaded and pulling a trailer too). She probably would've got up to 80 if I didn't use the brakes. My hat is off to you for that! I use a garmin road gps for my speedo usually (Gladys' isn't always reliable)... something to consider. I'll trust my garmin's speedo over most of my vehicles any day.

How much work is it to install the overdrive? ...something I have been wondering about, but yet to research much.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do a video make sure the sun is at your back. The camera on a coat on the seat trick works real good to watch the gauges. Great way for you to take us for a ride.:D

How's your 0-50mph times? We're pushing between 46 and 55+ seconds in the old 302's so here's some video incentive. The rule about finding a safe place to do this stuff should be stated.

In the first vid the 0-50 run starts around the 6:20 mark but the whole video is a good ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMiR2DT7Fo

This is a run before front band adjustment so we'll do it again next spring. 0-50mph, 55ish seconds, best run of the day, worst video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FP6swEfcio

Jeepsinker

I'll give that a try. Will have to find a flat area, as both directions leaving my house are slight uphill grades, but I may try here anyway. I've never posted to YouTube either, so I'll have to figure that out. Must not be too hard if millions of other morons can do it.

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody cares how fast anyone can go
All records broken recently ..................
What really is a concern is how fast one can stop them Rock Wells.

Don't need anything except soldier "B" with a stopwatch..........

So do this
Have your favorite spot to do this........................
Go as fast as you like thru your special spot
Then throw the anchors and do the best one can do and measure.
We ain't out here to hurt anybody anything.
My favorite is down-hill

The Vette stops 167 feet at 100 MPH
The Lexus stopped 183 feet ditto
The Tiger stopped 200 feet ditto
The MGC stopped 230 feet ditto
The Goat stopped at 180 feet
The ZO6 stopped 152 feet ditto
The Camaro stopped at 160 feet
I have to go try the new Camaro...

Oh phooey
This means I have to go test the Deuce!

But I wish I had a real Cobra
Zero to a hundred and back to zero in 13.8 seconds
I'm looking forward to the results on this. I'm thinking your best bet is to tow the deuce up to 100mph. :razz:

rustystud

If you do a video make sure the sun is at your back. The camera on a coat on the seat trick works real good to watch the gauges. Great way for you to take us for a ride.:D

How's your 0-50mph times? We're pushing between 46 and 55+ seconds in the old 302's so here's some video incentive. The rule about finding a safe place to do this stuff should be stated.

In the first vid the 0-50 run starts around the 6:20 mark but the whole video is a good ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMiR2DT7Fo

This is a run before front band adjustment so we'll do it again next spring. 0-50mph, 55ish seconds, best run of the day, worst video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FP6swEfcio
That transmission is shifting really good ! I have rebuilt many of these older "Dual Range Hydromatics" . They are great transmissions but they don't have torque converters (no staters ) only fluid couplers. So you don't get any torque multiplication from the coupler. You can install an older Allison MT series and then you would have a lock-up torque converter plus 6 speeds !

Jeepsinker

I dunno Rusty, from the video it only holds 35 mph uphill. Can't imagine higher gears would help, but you seem more in tune with that stuff than me. What do you think?

rustystud

I dunno Rusty, from the video it only holds 35 mph uphill. Can't imagine higher gears would help, but you seem more in tune with that stuff than me. What do you think?
The older M series Allison was a close ratio 6 speed. Since the torque range of this engine is real small you could adjust the shift points to correspond with the right RPM range. The "Dual Range" Hydromatic which this truck has, has a wider range of gear ratios. Also without a torque converter your loosing a lot of power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks