• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nos Jerry cans

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I just recieved my NOS Jerry cans, it's pretty neat there actually new and left over from the nineties, I located some mounts from another member so now all my rigs can have a can and mount. Two of the cans are rusty and not what I would describe as NOS I'll see if the seller can make it right on these two. Anybody know where to get some nice filler necks with screens?

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insides look real nice, I paid a bit extra for 6 that didn't have any peeling of the internal coating. No fuel was ever inside these. They look to be painted with CARC paint, somewhat lighter than the mounts I got, different "era" I think.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, I was wondering about that. Ill get with the seller and see what shakes out. I really do want them though. I got the MV Fever bad. I almost ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere recently and realized I really need to have backup fuel. If it's green it looks mean.......

rustystud

I understand, just don't let someone screw you over with the NOS story. I have had dealings with less then reputable dealers about this issue before. Sure the cans where never used, but they where allowed to sit outside for years being destroyed by rust. If a can is never used but is rusted to the ground is it still NOS ? The answer is no.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
With all that rust I would send them all back. You pay a premium for NOS. Those are "not" NOS. "NEW OLD STOCK" . There is nothing NEW about them.
Ehh, carc is not the greatest paint. I can see those being new old stock if they are from the 90s. That carc(crap) lifts and peels real easy for some reason. If they have had no fuel in them, blast them and re-paint.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a large lot of cans disposed of a while back that had a major problem with the inner coating flaking up. I have been full circle with cans. Started with steel, went to Scepters, traded all those for steel and now back to Scepters. I don't like the swelling of the plastic but absolutely hate the rust of the steel.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ehh, carc is not the greatest paint. I can see those being new old stock if they are from the 90s. That carc(crap) lifts and peels real easy for some reason. If they have had no fuel in them, blast them and re-paint.
I thought it was odd that two of 6 cans were rusty but none of the cans in the ad showed rust. If I had seen the condition I wouldn't have purchased them. (The rusty ones) I've bought several more off fleabay over the last few weeks and have blasted and painted them, it's a fair amount of work. I primed them with self etching primer, then painted with type 2 waterborne CARC and they look real nice but but they're still not new and have dents and dings. Rust on the sealing surface is ok with me, but exterior paint failure and rust up under the handle is too much. Still waiting to hear from the vendor/member.

KansasBobcat

I understand, just don't let someone screw you over with the NOS story. I have had dealings with less then reputable dealers about this issue before. Sure the cans where never used, but they where allowed to sit outside for years being destroyed by rust. If a can is never used but is rusted to the ground is it still NOS ? The answer is no.
Totally agree. Damaged packaging, few rust spots are ok. But stored outside for months or years is not acceptable. I also ordered one and will report on condition when received. I do like the paypal paid return shipping!

Triple Jim

I've had eBay send me a prepaid return label so I could return an item whose condition was significantly different from the auction description. At the time, eBay and PayPal were one and the same. I don't know if that would work for something purchased outside of eBay, using PayPal to pay.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a pile of metal cans that I won't use because they are rusty inside. I plan on coating the inside with sealer that they sell for gas tanks, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Triple Jim

In the motorcycle world, the current one that's accepted as the best is the Caswell "Phenol Novolac" epoxy kit. I have a coated tank in my shop now, and it's pretty impressive.

Triple Jim

What is the procedure for prepping the tank ?
It's on the Caswell web site, on the tank coating page:

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Now that I think of it though, the biggest stumbling block may be that it's not inexpensive. It's worth it for things like a main fuel tank of a MEP-003A or a motorcycle gas tank, but it might be a bit much for Jerry cans. That type of epoxy is used to line industrial tanks, and from what I've read, is about the most impervious coating you can get, resistant to today's gasoline and other aggressive chemicals.

Chief_919

My apologies- I had those sorted into two piles, with the more rusty ones set aside to be repainted and sold in the shop. The boys evidently were grabbing from both piles to send out.

I will do a full refund or a price adjustment, whatever you prefer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks