• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nos Jerry cans

Jimc

been awhile since i posted but jim is right about the caswell stuff. ive been using it for 10 years now on alot of the bikes i do paintjobs on. novalac epoxy is about the most chemical resistant stuff on earth. as mentioned before though, by the time you go through all the trouble of lining the cans which is a pia if done right and the expense of it you could have probably bought 2 new cans....maybe 3. ive lined all the generators i have done and that is worth it for sure because those tanks are hard to find. caswell's instructions are a little misleading as well. if you have a rusty tank then their method isnt really adequate. to do that right in addition to the cost of the kit you also need a couple gallons of muriatic acid and 1/2 gal of acetone.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting resolved

Thanks for getting back with me, I sent you a pm with my preference to get the situation all fixed up. The linings on the cans I received was in great shape, I began using one this weekend. I also found a NOS #40033 blizt spout on a popular auction sight.

Thanks
terry

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I might as well stick my nose into the relining process, I redid 4 jerry cans cans(2 WW2 vintage and 2 dated 1953) about 15 years ago using a double coat of Kreem the brand of sealer JC Whitney sold back then. I put a couple of shovels of pea gravel in them and bungie corded them in the center of my tractor rear wheels and rode them around to knock off any loose old lining because I couldn't find anyone willing to sand blast the interiors of gas cans. I used phosphoric acid to clean the rust spots, power washed them and gave them two coats of Kreem about a day apart following directions. I used the same phosphoric acid to treat all 4 cans and the gas tanks on all my tractors before disposing of it. This was around the turn of the century('98 to 2000) and I'm happy to say all of them are holding up well although the coating has turned from white to a sort of tan color but still sticking well in spite of being exposed to gas with alcohol here in MO.

Another issue all together the alcohol in our gas that is all we can get here. I wash my gas with water to remove the alcohol that I uses in my small engines and in the tractors in the winter, I use these same cans with no problems. My2cents

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive given up on the seller, i got some rusty cans and now a third one is seeping at the seams. they were not NOS as desribed. Live and learn, I should have asked to see pictures of the actual cans not just a generic picture before agreeing to buy them. Needless to say im bummed but not so much because of the money but because a MV owner and vendor here isnt doing the right thing......I did leave appropiate feedback.

Chief_919

Ive given up on the seller, i got some rusty cans and now a third one is seeping at the seams. they were not NOS as desribed. Live and learn, I should have asked to see pictures of the actual cans not just a generic picture before agreeing to buy them. Needless to say im bummed but not so much because of the money but because a MV owner and vendor here isnt doing the right thing......I did leave appropiate feedback.
I offered you a complete refund on those cans or a price adjustment since the boys grabbed the cans from the wrong pile, your reply was that you wanted a third option I didn't offer in the form of two replacement cans.

I replied on the 18th, Wednesday, that I would have to dig through the warehouse to find more good ones to exchange them for and would let you know.

I in fact was sorting cans and other stuff in there this weekend yesterday and had two that were going to head your way today.

Your claim I wasn't doing the right thing when I offered a full refund over a week ago is off base. I admit I have been slow to respond on here because the shop and personal events has kept me off the site, but I have not once refused to try and make it right by you, have had an offer for a full refund on the table for over a week now, and in fact I spend sever hours digging in the warehouse to find cans to replace those.

Today I will be refunding your money for all 6 cans you purchased. I don't want any of them back- keep them, use them, fix them, trash them, donate them, do whatever you wish with them.

1942 Mk1

In browsing this thread, even I read the post where Chief offered a full refund if it came to that. I don't think 101 gave the seller a fair shake. Our addiction needs these smaller based sellers, period

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks