• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

Armydillo

my nv4500 is also cast iron also. it was rebuilt for $1600 w/ american made parts (readily available) and still got a $500 core charge. upgraded input shaft costs a few hundred bucks.

so i'm not sure where you get your parts from, but sounds like you may get ripped off alot.

TK1008 Torque King® Gold Mainshaft Set and Master Overhaul Kit *No Tools*
$1674.77 or Save 2.75% by purchasing Online for only $1629.95

quad4x4 dot com people who invented the shaft update, add in a bigger inputshaft its almost $2000

I would not trust your cheap rebuild of a nv4500 with used parts and samll dia input shaft

ATS Standard Transmission Blumethals all are getting $3000 for the nv4500 rebuild and updated with bigger input shafts

I think you got ripped off and dont understand the different types of rebuilds and rebuilts and hate the spicer 3053a

The alum tail shaft on the nv4500 prob also lets it twist and shift around under stress

MY GMC 7000 had a spicer 3053a in it with a 427 cubic inch Holley fuel injection with headers, it regularly pulled out of the hole a 4 axle lowboy with a gross of #120k with the truck trailer d8 cat with ripper on top of it

Gov liq has them all day for $200 to $500, buy toms kit and you have a super transmssion with a huge factory input shaft

There is guy down here who pulls with a 3053a and cummins

He has tons of butt time so he added a Mack truck transmission oil pump inside his spicer 3053a and copper lines routing oil to all of the top gears

The transmssion I quoted was with the parts from quad4x4, I bet if you checked you got stuck with a rebuild of a junkyard core that still has the small input shaft and bad design shaft and 5th gear in it, apples to oranges, but if it works for you thats kewl

I would not waste time or my life with it locking upp personally

Spicer 3053a is a very underrated transmssion, with the update gears and oiling its prob a 200k trans behind a 400 hp 59 or 67 cummins??? We will see, good luck!!

Armydillo

Here's the Beef!

Spicer 3053A
NV4500
Approximate dry weight
230 lbs
195 lbs
Case length
13 1/2 in
12.37 in
(12 3/8 in)
Transmission ratios:

First or Low gear
6.00:1
5.61:1
Second gear
3.31:1
3.04:1
Third gear
1.89:1
1.67:1
Fourth gear
1.00:1
1.00:1
Fifth gear or Overdrive
0.85:1
0.73:1
Reverse
5.90:1
5.61:1
Main case material
Cast iron
Cast iron
Top cover material
Cast iron
Aluminum Extension housing
None
Aluminum
Gear oil capacity
9 pints
8 pints
Gear oil type
80/90 W
75/85 Castrol Syntorque
Maximum GVWR
23,800 lbs
14,500 lbs
Fully synchronized?
Yes
Newer versions only
Input shaft
10 spline,
1 1/2-in diameter
10 spline,
1 1/8-in diameter
Output shaft
10 spline,
1 1/2-in diameter

mudguppy

... The alum tail shaft on the nv4500 prob also lets it twist and shift around under stress ... I bet if you checked you got stuck with a rebuild of a junkyard core that still has the small input shaft and bad design shaft and 5th gear in it, ...
thanks for trying to 'learn me' on the transmission that i have in my truck.

it has the GM short, fixed yoke tail: this means there is no 'slip-yoke wobble' (?) and no main shaft or 5th gear issue. and since i bought the clutch, i'm also pretty sure that i know what size input shaft it has.

thanks for the concern, though.

i appologize to the OP for causing this non-educating derail - it was my fault.

Armydillo

Just curious why did you not use the spicer 3053a that was already in the truck??? With a SAE#3 bellhousing and 59 cummins flywheel you could have reused the stock clutch assemby, if you would have used the SAE#2 bellhousing you could have updated to a 14 inch clutch if u used the 2 to 3 SAE adapter ring from Phoneix Transmission Adapters and still used the Spicer 3053a?? I thought you had swapped in a complete nv4500 married 241dhd transfercase to tell the truth, sorry for the misque, the short shaft case you have will prob be fine, do you have a link to your build up with pictures, i like to see how you did the driveshaft conversion to the rockwell t/c? Good luck!!!

spicergear

FYI, you got your weight reference on the two transmissions from the JP magazine article that was ripped off from me. The weight of the 3053 is high (the only thing basically I didn't tell him) and is within 5-10lbs max of the NV4500.

Something to very much keep in mind when thinking about either of these transmissions as a swap is the 3053 has the shifter located near the front of the transmission where the NV is further rearward. The forward shifter can be a headache with tight or low dashboards.

Last edited:

Armydillo

Spicergear, where is a link to your build where you used the 53a?? Is it on this site or m715?? I want to see if there are pics of what transfercase you used and how you did the driveshaft to whatever t/c you used?? Thanks, did not know they ripped you off, that sucks, wonder if that place ever got anywhere on making the married adapter for the 53a married setup?? Do you know anything about that shop in Ca mentioned in the story??

spicergear

I don't remember the shop they mentioned though if someone made an adapter, we would know. Made my own jackshaft going from the 1550 or 1600 series joint on the trans to a 1410 on the input of the swapped in fine spline Dodge NP205 unit. The input and both outputs were swapped over to 1410's purchased from Jesse at High Angle Drive (good guy, google him and buy parts there. :) ) I know they mention Boyce, but I don't remember another shop. I prolly had pics on the zone but have severed ties with that site because of the 'Grand Poobah' and several others losing sight of the main goal.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
currently there are 13 sets out there. interestingly, 5 sets went to m37 projects but only 2 are installed. 1 set went to a m715 project, not installed yet. 6 went to m35, but only 4 are installed, 1 uninstalled set is destined for a bobbed m35 in texas, the only one so far. i drive mine often, took 4000 lbs of scrap in yesterday. no one has reported any problems. 19 sets available and intend to make batches of 25 when those are low.

tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... What's the easiest way to figure out for sure which gears are in it? ....
It should be a 1:0.79 (O.D.) ratio.
Easiest to confirm: put in 5th gear and count 1 eng. revolution to 1.266 prop. shaft revolutions.
Most accurate: remove top cover and count the teeth...

G.

Attachments

Jonusmc

I see that this thread has some age on it. Are we still looking at 1200 dollars? What kind of labor cost are there for something like his of one can not do it themselves?

MudMarine

Sorry to NECRO an old thread! I just got my Deuce and I'm looking for ways to get a safer top speed when I saw a different thread talking about your OD kits and that you're retiring from the business soon. Looks like I may have been too late according to your website, any chance you have one of these kits in a corner gather dust some where?

rustystud

Sorry to NECRO an old thread! I just got my Deuce and I'm looking for ways to get a safer top speed when I saw a different thread talking about your OD kits and that you're retiring from the business soon. Looks like I may have been too late according to your website, any chance you have one of these kits in a corner gather dust some where?
We all asked that question. I bought one and was planning to buy another when they all sold out after my review. I should have kept my mouth shut and waited before posting. Then after buying what I wanted post my review. Live and learn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks