• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

oldshep

Yep thats true my truck weighs 7000lbs less than stock and drives great. I'd think about your gears but i'm in high school and dont really have the $. haha!

bottleworks

Your gear set is one of those things that I am heavily considering buying...It's just all about money and I understand the incredible costs to make them. Will you be selling them directly, or will you be selling through a dealer?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure you will test your new transmission, and report the findings, especially when the truck is loaded.
I can imagine that you won't be able to use 5th gear much at all when loaded down or at least having to shift down more often. Running empty is not a condition on which to base a redesign IMHO.
All opinions aside, I think you do great work.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
I'm sure you will test your new transmission, and report the findings, especially when the truck is loaded.
I can imagine that you won't be able to use 5th gear much at all when loaded down or at least having to shift down more often. Running empty is not a condition on which to base a redesign IMHO.
All opinions aside, I think you do great work.
Exactly my thoughts (and MHO) too.
Somewhere I found that the deuce tranny is rated to withstand 400 lbs/ft. A std. deuce Multifuel engine develops around 300. But if we need a 5ton Multifuel or any other 465 with the fuel turned up (peak torque at 430) to move a M35A2 at highway speed at (only) 2200 rpm via those extreme o.d. gears the tranny would be operating for longer periods at it's very limit. Something has to give, sooner or later. I mean fatigue....
Like I said earlier, time will tell and it sure will depend a lot on the total weight... (drivers brain and right foot included) :)

2cents

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have about 1600 miles on a .71 set. without some real scientific research i would equate it to a stock gear set in a truck with stock fuel settings versus this higher od set in a truck with the fuel turned up. in other words higher ratio but more power sort of cancels itself out. also with the higher ratio you are running more in the torque curve of the engine. torque drops off after 2000 rpm and that is apparent when i drive up a hill, rpm drops to around 1900 rpm.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Since my tranny has just started making racket in neutral with the clutch out (t-out bearing is properly adjusted), looks like I will be doing a tranny build.

Tom, I have assumed you have looked around the best prices on either a rebuild kit or individual components? Care to elaborate on your experiences? I have build plenty of GM Muncies and Chrysler A-833's, a 3053 doesn't scare me at all. But I have no idea where to get the stuff to do it, other than Memphis (and their crazy prices).

Thanks

C

p.s.-it goes without saying that the reason I am partially hijacking your thread is becuase I will probably buy a set of your OD gears-otherwise I'd start a new one.

p.s.2-at some point, some of our members might like to see some pics of your Millenium Reo. I am old enough I remember your website :D

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
every dealer has their high and low prices, many 3053 parts are cheap and some are not cheap. it is just a matter of calling the half dozen or so that like to deal with the collectors. i can supply quite a few for much less than most dealers, such as bearings, syncros, mainshafts and some gears.

spicergear

gringeltaube said:
Exactly my thoughts (and MHO) too.
Somewhere I found that the deuce tranny is rated to withstand 400 lbs/ft. A std. deuce Multifuel engine develops around 300. But if we need a 5ton Multifuel or any other 465 with the fuel turned up (peak torque at 430) to move a M35A2 at highway speed at (only) 2200 rpm via those extreme o.d. gears the tranny would be operating for longer periods at it's very limit. Something has to give, sooner or later. I mean fatigue....
Like I said earlier, time will tell and it sure will depend a lot on the total weight... (drivers brain and right foot included) :)

2cents
I think that torque rating is actually a little high going by the original spicer numbers, from what I've been told. I believe that like everything else they're quite under-rated. Here's an example of the durability of these trannies; my V8 CAT is 225hp and 636 cubic inches. I found where a 3208 Cat (nearly identical engine) of 180hp made in the area of 450 lbs/ft. Mine being another 45hp, I think I could safely say she's around 500 lbs/ft. and online calculators have it at 491 lbs/ft at 2400rpm. Now take that, consider it's now in a truck tipping the scales at a fuzz over 18,000 lbs and this past week did a little towing that gave me a combined weight around 32,000 lbs or more. This was 70 or so miles at around 53-55mph which runs about 2400rpm with 40" NDT's. Most small hills it was able to maintain though larger obviously steeper grades would drop to 45mph then gain back pretty easily at the top.

That's GOTTA be a pretty good transmission torque test there running in the meat and potatos of the torque curve for an hour and a half keeping over 16 tons going in PA.

OH and the Hydro-Max braking system worked GREAT!!! Could not ask for any better results-

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
some people just don't understand, it's not about fixing something.
just put in the production mainshaft with needle brngs. these 2 pics should say it all. this is still the .71 gear set.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes actual speed although my speedo does show just a very little slow by gps. yes these trans do break, second gear seizing and 1st / rev gear chipping and the pieces getting in other gears or bearings. i think i have solved the one..... i plan to load the truck this week and do some more testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks