• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive gears available soon

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, it was oct of 2007 that i made the first post about this.
i am installing the newly made gears in my truck now to drive and be sure they are quiet. plan to place order for 30 sets next week if all goes well with testing. 6 to 8 weeks for delivery to me is possible.

Attachments

dcwilkie

Let us know how installation goes and what pitfalls to watch for. :hammer:
I'm VERY interested in how this goes. My wife Margaret and I would really like to make the M35A2 more "roadable" so we can really do some travelling to rallies, campouts, etc. without having to drive at extra- high revs all day.
Exciting times! :-D

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
several people wanted to know how hard it was to install so i have updated web page to include installation manual. have driven .69 gear set and decided that is the only ratio i will have made as it is only a few % higher and performs well. with 14.5R20, 2300 rpm is 62 mph.
http://waterloospecialties.webs.com/

Last edited:

DanMartin

Woohooo!

Tom, it's great to hear from you! Glad to see this is coming to fruition!

Do you have an update on the price of the kit for those who want to order the gears? I'm still quite interested...

Thanks for pulling this off Tom. You always come up with the best stuff! :)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i will try to put a bar graph on the site soon, but with 9:00-20 tires the change in mph at 2500 rpm is from 53.95, stock to 64.2 with the new gears. (56.84 mph at 2300 rpm)

with 14.5R20 which give the increase of about 5 mph in themselves, 2500 rpm is 67.39. (62.0 mph at 2300 rpm) a bobed deuce with these tires is going to be awesome!!

tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
UPDATE ON GEARS

an update on progress.
on 8/18/2010 i sent 1 kit to john waller and 2 to charles talbert. i put the 4th set in my truck and all went well. hope to see their feedback and impressions here soon. it took 8 mths for 1 US company to make 5 sets. way too long. now Forest City Gear in Il is making 25 sets and i have all the other parts in stock. they should be ready by the end of oct, but you know how places always tell you 6 weeks more? even when it has been 4 weeks. etc, etc, etc. but i now own all the tooling and fixtures for these gears, which hopefully shows them i am serious. some updates on the web site as well.

tom

wikallen

Nice work.

I was thinking last night when I was driving my M109 on the interstate that I need some of your gears. The wind was behind my back, and I was actually staying with traffic easier, instead of being a huge road block. Your gearing would be nice so for times like that, I am worried about how high I have the RPMs to hold 64 to 65 mph. Now when I am heading into the wind, I really loose speed. That box is like a huge airbrake. I am hoping by turning the fuel up a bit, I do not have that problem as bad.

Do you have a current chart of your gears with 11.00x20s?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to go check the front stoop to see if my kit arrived for evaluation! LOL, NOT!!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
patrick, just send me a trans and a blank check and i will start on it!

kenny, it is only money, christmas is comming and you know you deserve it!

Westex

I've read this entire thread and I might be in; leaving El Paso to go ANYWHERE is like leaving Hawaii to go somewhere. I'm wondering, can I pull my M1061A1 trailer with this overdrive with a full load (about 8,000.00 lbs) of firewood on the trailer. Pump is turned up. Hard question, I know, but this is what I pull.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
westex, that would depend on the grades you encounter. i have driven mine with 8000 lbs in bed and long grades will slow it down to some extent. to put it in perspective let me give an example. when my truck had the stock fuel rate settings and stock trans there is a long grade near here that would slow it down to 35 mph. now with the fuel turned up to max safe setting and .69 gears it slows down to only 45. on flat or near flat roads maintaining speed is not a problem. but then you get into wind resistance at higher speeds, etc.

tom

Last edited:

jwaller

I now have a set of these gears in hand and am about to install them in my truck.

Let me just say I hate to put them in because they are a work of art. all the machine work is beautiful and the roller bearing conversion is outstanding. I can't wait to get it on the road and see what it does.

dcwilkie

Dumb question

westex, that would depend on the grades you encounter. i have driven mine with 8000 lbs in bed and long grades will slow it down to some extent. to put it in perspective let me give an example. when my truck had the stock fuel rate settings and stock trans thete is a long grade near here that would slow it down to 35 mph. now with the fuel turned up to max safe setting and .69 gears it slows down to 45. on flat or near flat roads maintaining speed is not a problem. but then you get into wind resistance at higher speeds, etc.

tom
I'm a little slow. Do you increase fuel flow by backing the screw out like a needle valve (counter-clockwise)?

hklvette

there are numerous threads on increasing the Multi's power, but DON'T rotate the set screw! if you rotate the threaded shaft/ screw, there's a piece that will likely break off inside the IP, at which point you'll be taking the IP out to fix/ rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks