• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 CTIS Reprogram, Anybody Done It?

74M35A2

Has anybody successfully reflashed an M939 series CTIS module to alter the tire pressure? Have seen one-off threads of supposedly being able to, and another of needing a "Y" cable to do so (Suprman), and free software download from Dana.

Would like to hear of a success story of actually having done so, and would like to clone the cable or rent the cable to do such.

The HUlk

Has anybody successfully reflashed an M939 series CTIS module to alter the tire pressure? Have seen one-off threads of supposedly being able to, and another of needing a "Y" cable to do so (Suprman), and free software download from Dana.

Would like to hear of a success story of actually having done so, and would like to clone the cable or rent the cable to do such.
I'm no CTIS expert but know a fair amount about digital electronics. I would assume circuits from the early 1990's or before would be ROM or EPROM(microchip lingo) based. If so the ROM could be not be altered and the EPROM would require a special programming device.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The unit is designed to be reprogrammed. The software is a free download from Dana. The Y cable was only available as an upgrade kit that came with a new ctis control and some other parts. The newest lmtv diagnostic kit has a Y cable for the lmtv ctis which should work to reprogram the m939a2 version also. I am working on having someone get me the part number or nsn for the cable.

74M35A2

Sit tight. Dana's free diagnostic software for this system can be found and downloaded at the bottom of this page.

http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/dext2cv/commercial+vehicle/home/products/tire+management

You will still need an adapter cable (RP1210A) and adapter cable driver (download dependent upon mfg of said cable), possibly more, still learning. I just spoke to a tech at Dana CTIS tech support this morning (Ohio), and he said after you download and install the software, on the first tab "F1" at the top of the screen, it will list the recommended adapters.

The M939's have 2 diagnostic connectors under the passenger side. A small plastic 4 pin which is for the ABS, and then the large STE/ICE which really just does a few simple engine measurements like alternator voltage and such, I think. To get into the CTIS module, I think Suprman may be correct, you need a special "Y" cable which connects in line to the CTIS module. This should really just be 2 simple bus communication wires. Or, the Dana CTIS sheet for M939 shows a standard 9 pin connector somewhere that should be in the truck. I need to look for this.

If I buy it and get it to work, I will rent it out in an attempt to recover my costs. Price still TBD. I will not provide any technical support as to why your CTIS is not working, as my system is operational and I have no CTIS diagnostic experience. There are other informative threads here on this board for that.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I downloaded the software at lunch and took a couple of screen shot teasers. This was in demo mode, not connected to a vehicle. I don't have the interface cable yet. Looks like you can do some cool stuff. Change the target tire pressure buttons, test valves, read pressures, fault codes, etc...

CTIS1.jpgCTIS2.jpgCTIS3.jpgCTIS4.jpgCTIS5.jpgCTIS6.jpg

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If those figures are for a 939 series, any explanation for the Front and Rear differences and % load psi figures? How is that possible with a common manifold?

74M35A2

That is in demo mode. It does not know what type of system it is connected to in those shots because it is not connected to anything. Those were taken on my dining room table after downloading the software.

I'm making a Y cable and buying the communications adapter. It "should" work, but we'll see. Will offer CTIS module pressure change reflashing for $ to recover the adapter cost if I can get it to work. Lots of wires, but I'll just twist them all together with a wire nut and see what happens. It will look like a bug zapper going off in my cab.

Last edited:

74M35A2

After a pin-by-pin comparison, it appears the M939A2 type Dana/Spicer CTIS control module itself is equipped with the necessary bus communication terminals, but the harness side of the vehicle is not (terminals not present in CTIS connector).

I have downloaded and installed the diagnostic software, ordered the bus communication tool, and will add the necessary bus communication (including reprograming) pins to the CTIS vehicle harness of my M925A2, or make a jumper harness to do so on any vehicle (possibly available for rental to recover bus communication tool expense). I need to develop a way to make sure it comes back though. Also considering to reprogram CTIS modules for a small amount of $ to your desired target pressures for all 5 buttons. Just ship it to me and back. I will reflash and confirm your new targets with a tire pressure gauge.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of sending you the CTIS module for you to program, that way I will not mass it up, LOL.

74M35A2

The cable is the easy part, nearly zero cost and anybody can make it. You would actually only need to add 4-6 wires to your existing harness and then not need an in-line cable. And the software is free also. The $ part is the communications adapter that goes between the laptop and the CTIS controller. Just paid $720 for it, hence the offer to rent it out or do reprogramming of pressures in an attempt to recover at least a portion of that cost.

Plugugly

I would go the route of shipping the CTIS controller to you, instead of renting your hardware out. Otherwise, you'll be called upon for everyone's instillation problems for software, that alone would be a nightmare trying to figure out if it works on Apple Os, WinXP, etc. Ain't nobody got time for that.

The business model is out there in motorcycle ECU reflashing, many people offer that service. If you wanted to get fancy, you could offer a loaner ECU if the turn around was lengthy. You could also buy up the ones guys have sitting in their garages that have pulled the CTIS and sell ones already programmed with a core charge. The big upside to having guys ship to you instead of the other way is you don't have to worry about your setup getting lost on the return trip and somebody not putting insurance on it. That would be a nightmare to collect on.

74M35A2

Agreed. Not only communication and setup issues, but all of the "Why does my CTIS not work" questions, of which I actually have zero knowledge of, because mine has always worked and I have not had to do any diagnostics yet. I also don't see a good way to be sure to get the diagnostic harness and adapter back unless somebody left a deposit for the full purchase value, of which I understandably don't see that happening. So, I don't think I see the setup being sent out on loan to diagnose systems, which is a bummer, because I wish everybody could have their CTIS working. I never deflate mine, but it is so handy that it checks and adds air at every start. I've never checked or added air to the tires on mine since I bought it.

CTIS controller cores is an interesting idea, could raise the price, but could also be an option. Reflash yours for $ (ship insured both ways), sell additional controller for $ + core fee, or just buy an additional controller with your custom pressures flashed into it for $$. Then:

If you like your module, you can keep your module. :driver:

Last edited:

todds112

The cable is the easy part, nearly zero cost and anybody can make it. You would actually only need to add 4-6 wires to your existing harness and then not need an in-line cable. And the software is free also. The $ part is the communications adapter that goes between the laptop and the CTIS controller. Just paid $720 for it, hence the offer to rent it out or do reprogramming of pressures in an attempt to recover at least a portion of that cost.
Ouch! yeah, I wouldn't let that out of my sight!

74M35A2

Exactly. So, even though it should only take a few minutes to reflash new pressures into each controller, people can then understand why I am charging them $40 to do so. Here is the adapter for those that want to give it a whirl themself:

http://www.nexiq.com/USBLink2

Smckerigan

I would be down for paying a small fee to get my ctis module reprogrammed and to see what's going on with mine. Right now on my939 I can on get a solid light in sand mode, and all the others flash and will not get the sand option.

74M35A2

I'll post my next update once the adapter arrives, I added the communications bus terminals and wires to my truck harness, constructed a receiving harness connector for the adapter to plug into (below), and have successfully cracked into my controller. Still not 100% sure it will work, but it should by all rights.

Below is the J-1939 truck side diagnostic connector which I will be adding to communicate with my CTIS controller, will locate under dash. Interface tool has the mating end of this, so plug-and-play once established. I will add 4 terminals to the appropriate empty cavities of my CTIS connector (J1708A, J1708B, J1939+, J1939- bus lines), and route them to the correct terminals of this diagnostic connector, in addition to 24v power and ground lines. The Nexiq interface tool is capable of handling 24v as well as 12v.

http://www.newark.com/amphenol-industrial/atc17-9-1939pn/circular-connector-receptacle/dp/61M3423

J1939 Diag Connector.jpg

Vehicle_SAE_9_pin_Diagnostic_Wiring.jpg

Referencing pages 61-62 of the CTIS diagnostic manual for the CTIS connector terminal pin-out. Bus lines to be added are terminals a, A, D, N. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXTS-0015.pdf

Vehicle side of CTIS connector, you can see terminals missing from the connector housing. The missing terminals are the two bus communication lines (4 wires), in addition to several jumper terminals to configure "options", this is likely live interface from other vehicle systems which would affect CTIS pressures automatically, like transmission info, etc....., which are not utilized on the M939's. I have yet to confirm this, but CTIS sales literature suggests this is what this could be.

Truck Side CTIS Connector.jpg

CTIS controller connector showing all pins are present on modules:

CTIS Module Connector Terminals.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks