• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 CTIS Reprogram, Anybody Done It?

The HUlk

I’m still hanging around but can’t do much on my own as the 5ton we have is pre CTIS.

Perhaps developing an arduino based module would be worth the effort? ��

KN6KXR

I'd like to thank @74M35A2 for posting the connectors this made my task much easier.

I made a breakout harness and did a lot of soldering. Got the 9-pin diagnostic broken out and used a DBA from a surplus STE/ICE kit with cable. Then I used a laptop and the Dana software. I can talk to the 676422 black module but not any of the green modules I have around like the 599730. Both the J1708 and J1939 protocols will connect but it appears they do different tasks. Like I can change the off road pressure under the J1708 but the J1939 won't update. Maybe still have some stuff to figure out. I did NOT use any terminating resistors FYI.

My next stop is to get in touch with Dana and see if I can update the firmware. My issue now is my max pressure allowed is 80psi and I need 90 for the M936A2. That was the whole point of the project. I can't seem to find any 676603 ECU anywhere.

So yes you can do it. Lots of soldering and studying the schematics. M939 was never wired for it but it CAN BE DONE. Appreciate everyone who contributed here made the task much more straightforward.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the last 10psi was achieved by the updated pressure transducer, different resistance???, I’m guessing we discussed this earlier in this thread. I should still have a couple NOS around here, if needed I could make you a decent deal on one. I think I still need to get one 74m one as well.

KN6KXR

IIRC the last 10psi was achieved by the updated pressure transducer, different resistance???, I’m guessing we discussed this earlier in this thread. I should still have a couple NOS around here, if needed I could make you a decent deal on one. I think I still need to get one 74m one as well.
Huh not sure why that would make a difference but I'll certainly try it and post the results! I have updated the wheel valves and had updated the pressure xducer but then swapped it back to OEM during some other troubleshooting (turned out it was a wheel seal going out). So back it goes! I've replaced 4 of 6 hub seal sets so far..... If they last another 10 years I'm OK with that.

I would be interested in the latest controller. I've reached out to DANA for a new firmware file and password for upload so maybe the 676422 can be brought to 676603 spec? At any rate I'd like a spare as the 676422 I got with the truck went dead shortly after I got the system working. Dead as in no lights dead dead dead. Since the unit isn't serviceable (all the potting) a spare is in order. PM me what you'd like for the unit and what it is thanks.

KN6KXR

Nope. Swapped it over same thing. Firmware is holding the top at 80psi. You have to have the latest ECU for the 90psi. Hopefully Dana will get back to me I sent them screen shots of the software and explained I need to flash the firmware.

At the end of the day it will never be the "latest and greatest". My data plate says off highway should be 60psi front and 30psi rear. Can't do that with a 3 solenoid controller. You would have to have a 5 solenoid, 2 channel for that. Which the truck does not have. Or is plumbed for. No wonder so many folks get fed up with the CTIS what a boondoggle.....

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. Swapped it over same thing. Firmware is holding the top at 80psi. You have to have the latest ECU for the 90psi. Hopefully Dana will get back to me I sent them screen shots of the software and explained I need to flash the firmware...
Maybe @Stellaevil could be some help.

KN6KXR

Any chance you can post a picture of that entire data plate? Wondering if it’s for the wrong truck.
Dunno they look right to me. Fluid quantities are correct I know from PM's on the vehicle. Split tire pressure is odd. Think it was something they planned on?
IMG_20220524_162322.jpgIMG_20220524_162333.jpgIMG_20220524_162346.jpgIMG_20220524_162359.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Am I missing something?

CTIS sets all tires in the Central Tire Inflation System to the same pressure.
Granted, front at one pressure and the rears at another is perfectly normal, but not with CTIS.

KN6KXR

Nope. That's right. Just that the data plate indicates different pressures on an A2 truck (and therefore CTIS equipped) for front and rear. That would be a 2 channel system which it does not have. So maybe they intended to do so, made the data plates, product was phased out before implementation? Got me!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I missing something?

CTIS sets all tires in the Central Tire Inflation System to the same pressure.
Granted, front at one pressure and the rears at another is perfectly normal, but not with CTIS.
Correct, these are single circuit systems. Unless inop or disabled all the tire pressures will be maintained at the same pressure.

I was hoping something on that data plate would jump out as being from the wrong truck but I’m not seeing it. Almost looks like someone modified a the template from an A0 truck and made a typo on the one tire pressure. There are slight differences in capacities, and oil specs when comparing to my truck, but mines not a wrecker. IMG_3217.jpg

KN6KXR

Well this one went through RSMS in June of 2012 so it was VERY end of life. I'm finding a lot of stuff that indicates they just "checked the boxes" when they went over it. Fact that it's a wrecker shouldn't make a difference really. The 8.3 motor does indeed take exactly 20 quarts with a filter (like the data plate says) but the TM says 23.7 I think. Some differences make me think it's either an old truck worked back up to an A2; or some rollouts made it and some didn't before they pulled the plug and replaced the models. We'll probably never know.

Meanwhile I haven't heard from the Dana people. I need to get into that firmware. In to the back programming. I'll pester them again in a few days.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well this one went through RSMS in June of 2012 so it was VERY end of life. I'm finding a lot of stuff that indicates they just "checked the boxes" when they went over it. Fact that it's a wrecker shouldn't make a difference really. The 8.3 motor does indeed take exactly 20 quarts with a filter (like the data plate says) but the TM says 23.7 I think. Some differences make me think it's either an old truck worked back up to an A2; or some rollouts made it and some didn't before they pulled the plug and replaced the models. We'll probably never know.

Meanwhile I haven't heard from the Dana people. I need to get into that firmware. In to the back programming. I'll pester them again in a few days.
You never know... If you happen to stumble across the right person - you might get the answer you need. In days gone by and in situations like this if you don't get a flat outright NO trying to "play the clock" may help. Keep yourself a time log for phone calls. Trying to get a different person is your goal.

Guessing their work schedule. What time to they get to work? When is Morning Break? When is Lunch? Afternoon Break etc where you might catch somebody different who might just tell or send you the keys to you what you need to know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks