• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Heater options?

wsucougarx

I know there is a fuel fired heater for the Gama Goats. Is there a hot water heater option? I haven't seen any specific kits but thought about adapting a M151 Heater box to a Goat. But don't know if there are any water access points on the DD353 to accomplish this option. Has anyone done this or know if the US Gov't made this an option? I don't want to extra weight of a fuel fired heater system nor the excessive heat of one.

1958 M274

Hi Mike,
Mine had a fuel fired heater when I got it, but the kit was incomplete and not serviceable. I traded it for other parts as I didn't like the idea of sitting in the cab with it. Having driven my goat in the snow and freezing rain a few times with the windshield icing up, I've considered installing a 151 or other heater under the dash on the passenger side since there is plenty of room. Heater hoses would be easy to run up the side of the hull under the transmission tunnel. It's been a while since I looked, but I think there is a water access point into the water jacket via pipe plug just above the ignition coil on the driver's side, and one on or near the water pump. Good luck!

combat32

I just happen to have a brand new m151 heater laying around in box somewhere, but I like the look and ease of install on that electric unit.

wsucougarx

I know in your gama goat thread you stated you were keeping it all original so the only option for a heater is the fuel fired heater. I plan on using one of these under the passenger side, http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/usa...a5nk7rX779EvxKvtH9Bvo9jGWTlYCWrq_UhoCxKzw_wcB.

If you want to keep it original, here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-M561-GAMA...m43b80302db:m:mh8RhE95jVl3rdIJUpzAYRA&vxp=mtr
I'm trying to keep it all original but willing to make an exception in this case;-). My biggest issue with the fuel fired heater is the weight/size/heat output. I think something of that size is a bit overkill for where I live. I wouldn't consider the heater option but my wife (as well as several of you I'm sure) is cold blooded woman. She can never be warm enough. Out of all the MV's I have, she absolutely loves this Goat. So, to try and further her love, I need to come up with a heater. I'm going to stay military with this one though. So the only option with regard to size and function is the little M151 water heater. I located the water plug on the port side of the engine but was unable to locate the one under the motor near the jacket. I did see a small petcock for draining the coolant but didn't think that would be large enough. So my thinking is using the port side plug and buying a "T" to place in the lower 2" I.D. radiator hose. I need to figure out the coolant circulation pattern and go from there. Any one have a diagram showing the circulation direction of the coolant?

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtMajHarper

Mine came with an aftermarket hot water heater mounted on top of the rear of the doghouse between the seats and has two duct holes that blow forward. Other than being in my way I doubt it reaches the windshield but may have been better than nothing. I bought an M38 hot water heater and plan on mounting it under the dash on the passenger side. I have so far obtained most of the duct work needed and have done a lot of plotting and head scratching but think it should work. Once my last couple parts get here and the weather improves so I can work on it outdoors I'll take some pics and keep the site posted.

wsucougarx

Here's what I came up with. In fact, just finished her up tonight about an hour ago.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

It looks like a good set up, clean and I'm sure lots of work. I like how it keeps the cab uncluttered and looking original also. I'm curious if you had a chance to test it out at operating temperature yet? Wondering if that long run on the air duct causes a loss in temperature and / or air pressure by the time it reaches the defroster / heater spouts.

I think the previous owner of my Goat maybe had a very similar idea for installation at one time. In the exact same location behind the passenger seat where your duct work comes through the engine compartment there is a same sized circle penciled onto the bulkhead where they were thinking about cutting a hole at some point in time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks