• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Code name BART (Bad A** Recovery Truck)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well as some of you know that I have been working on BART or Bad A$$ Recovery Truck, The owner and I worked out what the mission was, then BUILD the truck for that mission.

The misson,
Build a HEAVY recovery truck (heavy wrecker) that is needed by a military HEAVY transport unit, that is not authorized one BUT in great need of one and since they are not authorized to draw one from supply point (or who ever signs out trucks to units), the unit turned to itself and the motor pool shop, using what was on hand, scrounged, traded for, ect., there by keeping major expenditures off the books.

The build,
This is a MOTOR POOL build NOT a NEW what if build like what Soni builds.

The base truck is a very low hour m1070a1 (HET) and a mk15a1 trailer for the recovery gear. The the Het is 99% 12v while the mk15a1 is 100% 24v so some creative wiring is evolved, both hyd. systems are high pressure (3000 psi), the mk gear is designed for a clean frame rails with articulated suspension, while the Het has a cluttered frame rail because of the air bag suspension which means that the recovery gear mounts had to be fabed around the Het suspension. Another issue is the SHORT tractor rear frame overhang compared to the long rear frame over hang of the mk trailer, The mk also uses the rear cross member as the rear winch rear mounting point which means that the mk rear cross member had to be used.

Nothing could be placed till the crane was mounted, everything depended on its placement, as some pictures will show there was not even a 1/4" of leeway. because of the short frame, the rear winch mount had to be highly modded, on the mk the A frame is static, on BART it is a live A frame, the rear winch can be used as a drag winch or off the A frame for a heavy lift tow, BART has THREE live 55,000 lb winches and one 3,000 lb trolley winch remounted on the A frame. The mk winch is 100% electric controlled from a tether, so a local control was added (pictures later), between the forward winch deck and the crane, a flat deck is being built.
There still out rigger pads, travel restraints for the out riggers, ladder to the bed, to be built, some more hyd. and wiring work that still needs to be done and what seem like a 1000 little bit details still needs to be done (the details is what makes or breaks a build)

Again BART is how a motor pool would build BART, when I was in VN we had may "motor pool builds" because of the need, I am sure that the same goes on in todays world
1   Tractor  iron.jpg
Tractor iron.

4   5th wheel  away.jpg
5th wheel away

5  Clean frame.jpg
Clean frame

6  Starting to strip mk15a1.jpg
Starting to strip mk15a1

10  mk bed away.jpg
mk bed away

10a  crane up and away.jpe
Crane up

11  1st crane temp set.jpg
First crane test placement

12a Crane temp set.jpg
First crane test placement

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
More pictures

13a  fab shop R,  foward crane mount.jpe
Fab shop, R. forward crane mount

13b  Raw L foward crane mount.jpe
Raw L forward crane mount

13c  crane mount bracket.jpe
Crane mount bracket

13d  L foward fabed unpunched crane mount.jpe
L forward unpunched crane mount

13e  L forward fabed crane mount installed.jpe
L forward crane mount installed

13f  R forward fabed crane mount installed.jpe
R forward crane mount installed

13g  R rear crane mount.jpe
R rear crane mount

13h  L rear crane mount.jpe
L rear crane mount

13i  kk15 rear cross member going for first fitting.jpe
mk rear cross member going for first fitting

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
More pictures

more pictures
15 Fitting winch mount.jpg
fitting winch mount

14  MK15a1 rear cross member,lift brackets.jpg
mk cross member and lift brackets

18  A frame test fit to winch mount.jpg
Test fitting A frame to winch mount

19  Rear modded winch mount mounted.jpg
Installed modded rear winch mount

20 Installed almost finished A frame.jpg
Install of almost finished A frame

23  Installed almost finished A  frame.jpg
Install of almost finished A frame

24  first rigged A frame.jpg
First rigged A frame

25  First rigged A frame.jpg
First rigged A frame

26  First igged A frame.jpg
First rigged A frame

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
More pictures

28  Refull hyd tank rig.jpg
Hyd. fill rig due to a pump issue

29  24v change over valve.jpg
24v change over valve

29 Ftrst live crane op.jpg
First live crane op..

30  First live crane op.jpg
First live crane op

31  First crane streach out.jpg
First crane stretch out

32a  Flying the flag.jpg
Flying the flag

32b  A frame live end and support.jpg
A frame live end and support

34  Frst live test of live A frame.jpg
First test of live A frame

35  Rear 90% done.jpg
Rear 90% done

36  Rear 90% done.jpe
Rear 90% done

37  Rear 90% done.jpg
Rear 90% done

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

You are going to have problems there. I have tried all ways to remove junk un needed pictures. No can do, And I understand there is no provision to do so. That I feel is a huge bug, and ought to be resolved. Members comments invited. (in a new forum?)
Great pictures, great (big!) project. Some serious know how how going into that project obviously.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There will be more to come , I do not stop to take pictures If I think about pictures I may stop or not, my wife has taken most of what is here. This is a Three man build , ME, MYSELF, and I.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
38  bed inbound to fab ahop.jpe
Bed donor in bound to fab shop.

39  nice to have the right tools, bed supported by 2 10t jack stands and 2 15t poter power jacks.jpg
Nice to have the right tools, 15t porter power jacks and 10t jack stands,
Thanks Kenny and SWB

40  bed excess out bound.jpe
Excess bed out bound.

41  The new bed on jack stands.jpe
New bed on jack stands.

42  boxes added to bed.jpe
Boxes added to bed.

43  forward looking towards cab.jpg
Looking forward towards cab.

44  side view of the crane.jpg

45 crane and winch controls.jpg
Crane and winch controls.

46  A frame rigging and support, rear winch.jpg
Live A frame support frame work and rear winch, the center tube is triple x pipe with 3/4" wall thickness, it floats inside the support held in place by two 3/4" pins, this way things can self adjust as the loaded A frame is worked. The sleeve that the rigging chains attach to rotates around the center tube, keeping the weight at the side supports where it needs to be and prevents any bending of the center tube.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Please if there are any questions, PLEASE ask, I post pictures like everybody knows what is going on, I forget not everybody is doing the build, so if some of my ideas can help on someones elses build, ask for more in depth details.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well - aren't you having all the fun!

So - my slide rule spectacles are all in a bunch...

Seeing as the rear 50 t winch can do a lot/most of the work, what is the intended use of the original HET winches and are they routed past the crane?
What is the expected max load on the live A frame and why is it live? ... or should I think on that a bit!
Will there be a second 'A' frame or "holmes gear" to pull the suspended vehicle and stop it running up the Bad A$$?

Oh yeah - and thanks for holding off on posting pics 'till you could get a lot posted at once. Who likes wading through all those silly questions anyhow!!

Oo oo - one more: pic 38 and 10 are you remounting the spades on the new bed?

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well - aren't you having all the fun!

So - my slide rule spectacles are all in a bunch...

1 -- Seeing as the rear 50 t winch can do a lot/most of the work, what is the intended use of the original HET winches and are they routed past the crane?
2 -- What is the expected max load on the live A frame and why is it live? ... or should I think on that a bit!
3 -- Will there be a second 'A' frame or "holmes gear" to pull the suspended vehicle and stop it running up the Bad A$$?

Oh yeah - and thanks for holding off on posting pics 'till you could get a lot posted at once. Who likes wading through all those silly questions anyhow!!

4 -- Oo oo - one more: pic 38 and 10 are you remounting the spades on the new bed?

1 -- Both forward winches can be run out just clearing the crane at a bit of a off angle, a snatch block can be used to provide a wider angle pull (the rear winch has the A frame fair lead for off side pulls), both forward winches have air snubbers so winding in should not be a problem. the winches are there because the owner wanted them in case more then one pull cable was needed.

2 -- I would guess about 25 ton or maybe more, the live A frame is so it can be used to walk in a lift tow so the towing device can be hooked to the pentil.

3 -- A heavy lVS tow bar.

4 -- That I have been kicking around, I have two sets of spades but no poles (have a set of frozen together boom support poles that I could use), I need one set of spades to make outrigger pads out of, the other set of spades was going to the other crane (second mk15a1), but I could make a set of outriggers when the time comes, so yes more then likely spades will be on BART when it goes to its home

Last edited:

tim292stro

I think you need twice more girth - you're not going to be able to recover skyscrapers without a bit more steel. :naner:

While you're at it, you can probably add a few more axles - ha! Color me green :mrgreen: with envy though on your build, it's awesome!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks