• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M882 stuck on New York docks.

RichM882

Hi all.
I have bought a Dodge M880 in the States. I have had it transported via an independent carrier from Northern Pennsylvania to the docks in New York to facilitate shipping to Liverpool in the UK. The Dodge started easily and drove on to the truck, and drove off without any complications. Now the handling company in NY say that she will not engage gear. My feelings are that either they are trying to make a few bucks out of me for 'dragging' the old girl on the ship or they are so inept that they cannot operate a 40 year old truck. The cost of dragging her on the ship is not the big problem, but that if she will not drive on the ship she will have to be taken to a different port which is 300 miles away and very expensive to transport up to my town. The guy I bought her off is genuine and vouches that she is fine and the carrier says that there is nothing wrong with her. The vendor says that if they warm her up on a fast idle for 5 minutes she will run fine but I do not think they are interested in trying.I am totally at the mercy of these fools being 3000 miles away and cannot do anything to intervene.
Does anyone know a mechanic in the locale who could take a look and put them straight ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're it at Port Everglades in S FL I could jump.right on that. Let's hope one of our nearby brothers or sisters can put an eyeball on it.

dmetalmiki

Late now I know, but It is allways wise to have a contact organise the delivery (to the docks) and if not supervise, then observe the loading etc, Trusting unkown people so far away is a BIG trust. One reason we get shipped stuff by container. Hope all goes well, perhaps a phone call to someone in the system loading your vehicle can recieve consise instruction from you?. Hopefully a member here can get to the site and help out?. Keep us posted. By the way whereabouts in leeds are you?

EO2NMCB

I would not be so fast to condemn the dock workers. I went into NJ port with a Genie s60 lift that I had no ideal to operate that was a self unload unbeknownst to me. They were very helpful and knowledgeable.

emr

Yea there ALL idiots because your truck wont go into gear ... LOL.. And its a known fact all dock workers can only drive front wheel drive cars LOL))) >>I know ""you"" didn't say that , But bashing comes up so fast , It is just not what this site used to be about in my opinion... >> Anyone can have a bad day and miss the obvious ... That is of course if it is the obvious ??

infidel got me

Maybe one of the Georgia mafia has a cousin ( Vinnie, Tony, or Jonny two times ) in the New York mafia that could help. I'm sure someone will step up soon. Maybe just hasn't read post yet. Good luck with the new ride and welcome from central Florida.

dmetalmiki

On reflection..That phone call would be the way to go, As pondering with friends here. It is (just) a thought that after re-reading the problem..and the statement "it works when warm" (after 5 minutes?) raises the question, does it have a faulty transmission? low fluids, or, anything else known? Having handlers expected to "wait" while it functions is going to be an odd ask. Any one on here that can check it out?

dmetalmiki

Addendum. I would have them pull push carry whatever that truck on the ship that gets it to you at best port U.K. (phone call) And then YOU can meet It, start it, warm it up, and DRIVE it home. See you at war and peace revival with it. Good luck. (and updates with eventual pictures).

quickfarms

Warm up for 5 minutes on fast idle before it will move is a red flag, especially considering how mild the temps are currently in the northeast. There is no reason this vehicle needs to warm up, older vehicles may be a little cantankerous when cold.

RichM882

The thing is though when I know this vehicle starts and drives, I do not want to be charged $400 to have her 'dragged' on to a ship subsequently shipped to Southampton. She was supposed to go to Liverpool which is only an hour away from me where I was planning on driving her back from. I do not have the time to drive down to Southampton and transportation will cost quite a bit. Everything is going wrong at the moment so I suppose this is par for the course....

RichM882

Late now I know, but It is allways wise to have a contact organise the delivery (to the docks) and if not supervise, then observe the loading etc, Trusting unkown people so far away is a BIG trust. One reason we get shipped stuff by container. Hope all goes well, perhaps a phone call to someone in the system loading your vehicle can recieve consise instruction from you?. Hopefully a member here can get to the site and help out?. Keep us posted. By the way whereabouts in leeds are you?
Hi there. I have a business in Wortley Leeds, But I live about 12 miles southwest in a village called Emley. I wish I had shipped it by container now....

infidel got me

Warm up for 5 minutes on fast idle before it will move is a red flag, especially considering how mild the temps are currently in the northeast. There is no reason this vehicle needs to warm up, older vehicles may be a little cantankerous when cold.
It sounds like it has a bad lip seal in transmission, hence the 5 minute warm-up. I had a old ford that would not move till it ran for 2 to 3 minutes.

dmetalmiki

Hmm..could have caught a number 2 or 15 tram! to see you..(for a ..1/2 penny!) That dates me I guess..Get that truck onto the boat (ship) and run the thing off at your (preferred) destination. How is it progressing? Get phoning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks