• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for original Army multifuel research

JonMolander

I'm an engineering masters student researching WMO for use in Diesel generators. I'd like to dig up old DoD research when the multifuel engine was designed. I welcome any and all comments of experience, but I'm specifically looking for citable sources. I realize some of it may not have been published, but instead may lie in FOUO DoD archives. If that's the case, and you know that's where it is, I can get access to it.

Thanks in advance!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some quick pointers: the US Military multifuel engine utilizes the hypercycle combustion process which was invented by M.A.N. of Germany. Continental Motors, the mfg of the engine, used the technology under license.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Research the WW2 German engineering, because they were out of refined fuel, the multifuel was a way to use battle field collected resources to keep the war effort going, the next war (WW3) was to be in Europe where refined fuel was going to be in short supply so the war planners looked to multifuel as the answer just as in the previous war, so the USA, England, and Russia (1000hp v12 multifuel), all had there multifuels based on the German design (in reality, these engines were almost clones of the WW2 design)

There really is not a "multifuel engine", what these engines are are DIESEL engines that ARE desiged to use DIESEL as its primary fuel that "can" run on battle field collected fuel to get the mission done, the engine is a throw away engine, if getting the mission done and troops out of harms way means cooking a engine, so be it, some fuels are VERY dry (gas for one) which will eat the ip, valves like a hungry rat., the other fuels, oils, ect WILL coke up the valves, ect. No one when designing or implementing the multifuel engine gave a second thought that these engines would be running today in our trucks, the designers would be AMASSED,

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

While I have not tracked down any research reports on burning waste oil-based fuels on a multifuel engine, I have been experimenting on burning waste oils and waste solvents on a N/A 6.2L GM diesel engine for 8 years. During that time I have also been collecting reports from people on the WWW doing the same experiments that I have. Two years ago I bought an M756a2, which is a equipped with a Continental multifuel engine. I found that engine runs just fine on my DIY diesel fuels. I have also collected all of the research reports that I can find on burning waste oil-based fuels on a diesel engine. You can find those research reports at the link below:
Research on blended fuels

I have found that direct injected turbo charged diesel engines that run high pressure injectors run better on waste oil-based fuels than N/A indirect injected diesel engines, so the multifuel engine was definitely designed to burn crap for fuel for long periods of time.

JonMolander

I have also collected all of the research reports that I can find on burning waste oil-based fuels on a diesel engine. You can find those research reports at the link below:
Research on blended fuels
Thanks for this! But it looks like many of Jhanananda's links are broken and there isn't quite enough of a description on some to be able to google search the articles. Seems like a lot of potentially useful research though. Got any updated links?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks