Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Civil Defense Vehicles and Items

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 1,576 Posts

Default Civil Defence Vehicles

We know how you boys like your ladies! This is one of the few "vehicle" pics we've found so far and it just happens to come with a group of girls that would probably be real handy at those Steel Soldiers Rallies.

Nothing but respect for the girls of this rural community who trained as nurses en-mass, to provide services to target cities.

Finding vehicle pics has been tough but we're on to a lead and hope to add a Pontiac to the list of Civil Defence Vehicles.

Civil Defence Truck.jpg

Now the fun part starts, hunting for a build truck.

Wasn't sure how this pic would work but we're looking for information on Pumper No. 1. We have not found a similar truck on the net so if someone comes across some pics or info, we'd appreciate seeing it. Could be a British Rig?

Civil Defence pumper no 1.jpg

Found some great links to the American Civil Defense story loaded with vehicle pics so I'll add them for entertainment.

Time Stamp significant dates,
    http://legeros.com/essays/cd/

The link to vehicles with CCKW, Deuces, 5-tons a Panel and a few other tasty trucks
    http://legeros.com/essays/cd/apparatus.shtml

A Franklin County Civil Defense DUKW and a Panel. Also linked within this link is an interesting 36 page read.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/blog...-vehicles.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

USMC 00-08 (02-03-2016)

MVPA
    Thanks

This tunnel cart is still used in one of our 1940's to 60's, publicly accessible tunnel systems.

2015 reserves 073.jpg

The Civil Defence "Buildings" project we're working on includes hunting through news-paper clippings for related addresses, then asking for access to those areas. In most cases, people are surprised that there is any significant history to their building and are happy to publicly share pictures.

These tunnels date back to the 1900's and display the convenience of large utility corridors.

P1281333.jpgP1281335.jpgP1281340.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

USMC 00-08 (02-03-2016)

MVPA
    Thanks

By George I think we've got it. Canada Health and Welfare, Dominion Health back in the beginning, administered the start of the Civil Defence Program. We found one budget where they spent 23 million on vehicles back in the 50's.

We're still hunting for acquisition docs but have identified a 1954 International as a potential Icon Vehicle.

This one was valued around 28 thousand so hopefully we can find one that needs attention.

international 001.jpg

MVPA
    Thanks

Default Civilian MV's

The truck in this pic has a Mercury badge so the options are out there.....if ya like civilian vehicles.

CD vehicle 004.jpg

Sergeant
    Thanks

Interesting that you show a picture of an International. In the day, the RCASC (Royal Canadian Army Service Corps) militia units had these as their transport truck, prior to being issued the M211 and M135. I've been looking for a few pictures that I ran across of these trucks equipped with stake bodies and tarps but filed them too well. The pictures I am referencing were taken in Victoria at the Bay Street Armoury, which hosted 155 Coy RCASC. If I have any success, I'll post them. If you any contacts with the militia Service Battalion in Edmonton, they may have something since they would have had the same trucks. Another option is to see if the Ashton Armoury Museum in Victoria, BC have any of these photos. They are in the home of the successor unit of 155 Coy RCASC, now 11 Service Company, a reduced version of what was once 11(Victoria) Service Battalion.

I am going to assume that these trucks may have been transferred to the Civil Defence authorities later, or have been part of the same procurement. Once you know the model, you may find one sitting behind a barn somewhere in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba where rust won't be as bad as out here on the coast.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Juskatla For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (02-04-2016)

MVPA
    Thanks

Here's a historical shot of a Civil Defence member getting ready for a 50's cruise. Towing a Government used, civilian car to an MV rally for on-site transport may have gained some credibility.

I bet someone recognizes that front end!

CD vehicle 005.jpg

Most of the pics get added to the facebook site and you don't need to be a member to look at them. Don't forget to click 'like' if you're getting some value. It's all we ask for.

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCiv...umAsscociation

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juskatla View Post
    Interesting that you show a picture of an International. In the day, the RCASC (Royal Canadian Army Service Corps) militia units had these as their transport truck, prior to being issued the M211 and M135. I've been looking for a few pictures that I ran across of these trucks equipped with stake bodies and tarps but filed them too well. The pictures I am referencing were taken in Victoria at the Bay Street Armoury, which hosted 155 Coy RCASC. If I have any success, I'll post them. If you any contacts with the militia Service Battalion in Edmonton, they may have something since they would have had the same trucks. Another option is to see if the Ashton Armoury Museum in Victoria, BC have any of these photos. They are in the home of the successor unit of 155 Coy RCASC, now 11 Service Company, a reduced version of what was once 11(Victoria) Service Battalion.

I am going to assume that these trucks may have been transferred to the Civil Defence authorities later, or have been part of the same procurement. Once you know the model, you may find one sitting behind a barn somewhere in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba where rust won't be as bad as out here on the coast.

Well there's a lead.....the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps goes back to Nov. 1, 1901. http://rcasc.org/rcasc_hist_breif.html

The Ashton Armoury is funky like the originator of the CCDMA and have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-...9752694888399/

You'll find the Early Deuce, Jeeps, Cmp's and a few other toys on their site. Greatly appreciate the info!

MVPA
    Thanks

Default Continental Defence

Here's a wacky Continental Defence link that goes back to 42' when Edmonton rented some real nice office space to the United States Army Corps of Engineers. This is a high end Civil Defence building.

I helped maintain this property for 7 years starting in the late 80's so I took Goose there for a pic...first day I had it running.

Government house 135.jpg

Doing the Civil Defence research, I stumbled on the early connection to the mansion and it's tunnels being used by USACE.

http://history.alberta.ca/government...ailsketch.aspx

Here's a blurb

""""""For $2,000 a month, the building was leased to Northwest Airlines, an American company contracted by the US government to operate a military cargo route to Alaska. In 1942, the United States Army Corps of Engineers arrived in Edmonton, charged with the urgent need to begin building the Alaska Highway. At the time, this massive undertaking was seen to be a crucial defence requirement for North America. The Corps needed a headquarters for offices. As well, Edmonton was headquarters of the Alaskan Wing, (US) Air Transport Command, a stopover used by US pilots ferrying planes to Alaska where they would be turned over to Russian pilots. Government House was accepted as the temporary solution for office and dormitory needs of both military functions until a more suitable building could be constructed.""""""""""""

The 'more suitable' building may have been a long ago demolished structure on our City's west end known only as, American Laundry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m1010plowboy For This Useful Post:

Terrh (03-24-2017)

MVPA
    Thanks

Default Commer Fire-Truck

It's a Commer. Can't make this stuff up. I may end up with a Dinky toy instead of a real truck but this rig is a looker. The roofline curls over the top to two wide storage racks on either side. There's only one connection to a military version and it's a toy with a white star on the side so we're still hunting some history.

Trying to understand the difference between the 955 and 555 Commer so looking into the forums and 'Images' online. Most of the links lead to toy advertising however here's a shortened link to a ton of great "Commer Fire Truck" Images.

http://tinyurl.com/z66sahw

Fire-truck Fred.jpg

The Crew Cab version would be handy getting the family to rallies.
    Fire Truck Frank.jpg

Sergeant
    Thanks

Commer vans were around at one time in Victoria, at one time the haven of British cars and some trucks. I'm not sure if there is a connection to Bedford, but they also built similar vans. The Brits out there may have more info on that for you. Neat pictures. I think I had the Dinky Toy in the day...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Juskatla For This Useful Post:

m1010plowboy (02-15-2016)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast