• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M108 deuce wrecker gas to multifuel swap

Decided to start a new thread for this instead of continuing the hi jack of Kenny's thread were he did the same. Finally started the swap today. Please chime in with any pointers.

the engine is ready to remove but the sun went down to fast .

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are super pressed for time, I suggest to unbolt and remove the winch as well. You already need to disconnect the winch shaft. The winch sticks up really high and you can easily catch (and break) the engine mounts or smack the oil pan on the darn thing.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M108 is awesome! Any chance the rest of the donor truck is going up for sale? I have an engine and trans that would go right in! I pulled cab to crew cab the triaxle
I will be using quite a bit of the Donar. Planning on moving the air shift and I need some of the dog bones as well. I may purchase those however. Another member wants the bed.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are super pressed for time, I suggest to unbolt and remove the winch as well. You already need to disconnect the winch shaft. The winch sticks up really high and you can easily catch (and break) the engine mounts or smack the oil pan on the darn thing.
I may just do that. The front bumper is coming off as well. The original is tweaked.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Please chime in with any pointers.
A.
Now is the time to rebuild the steering box. They always need rebuilding and it's easy breezy with the engine out.

B.
Now is the time, with the engine out, to do all the miserable stuff like going through the injection pump to replace the hydraulic head o-rings and reseal the booster pump.

C.
If your donor truck has the M44A2 style front engine cross member, it might not be a terrible idea to check it for flatness and if it's good, do the MWO brace. More info here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tween-M35A2s&p=1589557&viewfull=1#post1589557

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few more. Yes it's still 24 volt. I have another guy who said he wanted the motor a few months back when he heard about my swap, If that falls through it will be available .

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short high jack then back to the regularly scheduled program. I remember the surprise I got pulling the engine out of my M108. I strung a chain between trees and dropped a chain call. Anyways, I pulled it with the trans attached. As I rolled the truck back Inwas greeted by a winch PTO that had an accessory drive. I seem to end up with lots of rare PTOs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks