• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tool worked great for removing the nuts. I have gotten all the dog bone ends out except for the 2 behind springs. The dog bone itself is gone as the bushing came completely out . I attempted to use a ball joint fork on the back side. (Worked on the other 2 uppers) Hit the casing and the back of the rod repeatedly with a BFH. Even broke my hammer. Got frustrated and decided to attempt removal another day.

Any ideas other than hit it more and harder?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking try a little heat. Going to take a pry par and cut it down and try to knock them out . Or see if I can find an axle shaft

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did this last year, I hit it with a sledge hammer and a piece of 3/4" round stock and couldn't get it to budge. I melted half of the ball end of one with a TIG torch and it wouldn't let go. By chance a friend stopped by and held the round stock (with a pair of vise grips so his hands weren't in danger) so I could swing the sledge with both hands, and both of them came out with just a couple hits.

So it may just be a matter of being able to hit it harder and more square, that was the break through for me.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did this last year, I hit it with a sledge hammer and a piece of 3/4" round stock and couldn't get it to budge. I melted half of the ball end of one with a TIG torch and it wouldn't let go. By chance a friend stopped by and held the round stock (with a pair of vise grips so his hands weren't in danger) so I could swing the sledge with both hands, and both of them came out with just a couple hits.

So it may just be a matter of being able to hit it harder and more square, that was the break through for me.
that will be my next attempt.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I went back to the truck today. I put the nut back on each dog bone end part way to give me a little more surface area to work with. Used the same metal rod as before for a drift . 5 hits on each one knocked them loose. Yea me. Thanks for the help

yes I will clean the recessed areas well before putting in the new torque rods.

Attachments

Last edited:

Redpawn

I see your truck still has it's fold out spot lights on the rear of the cab. Could you measure the pipe from the light to the fold out part for me? I have my ends to fix the lights but the pipes are rusted so bad I don't know how long they need to be.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I will measure lights for you. Just now saw this request. Sorry about that .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see your truck still has it's fold out spot lights on the rear of the cab. Could you measure the pipe from the light to the fold out part for me? I have my ends to fix the lights but the pipes are rusted so bad I don't know how long they need to be.
I measured the long poles. The strange thing is one is 55.5 inches and the other is 55.75 inches. Measured each several times .

I mix-remembered your request I will measure the part you actually requested .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
18 inches

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this project is still going on. Long story but started doing a few more things to the truck. Working on the top and put the blinker switch and exhaust heat shield on.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks