• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

dmetalmiki

Once you posted the pics of the transfer removal I could see the extra "web" plate running the length of the frame. I had been curious what you meant by a double frame. I always thought these ladder frame style of truck frames were designed to twist and shift around as part of the off road capability. I can understand how adding an extra web would make them stiffer and better capable of handling the stress of a crane or dump body. Does it make them behave differently in an off road situation?

The M62 wreckers Do Not like too much in the radical "Twist" scenario..and vey quickly 'Grind things'.
One reason I pulled the Engine stop (before wrestling with anything else( And it WAS starting to 'grind')) As My wrecker went down into the dyke. (see post).

"And" Your thread is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the details, as I have picked up quite a few tips in my repair. (Of the wrecker).

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s the original grill from the m108 so yes. The donar truck’s was a little tweaked. Using the original hood as well

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well glad it’s not completely bolted in place. I have plenty of grills already painted too. Had no idea .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original hood will work fine but the gasser grille is an inch shorter than the multifuel grilles.
I found this out with my 108 repower. Side panels are different as well. Seems that the grill and hood get higher every series right up the the A3 where the front is higher than the back.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learned something new. Glad I found out now. Thank you gentlemen. I put a multifuel grill in today. I also have the correct side panels. I would like to find the round knock out for the drivers side hood panel. Don’t plan on putting a heater in.

Attachments

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would almost swear I’ve seen a multi-fuel powered truck with the old style headlight bracket panels . I didn’t care for those. Too many pieces to them. All is well now I think

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I would almost swear I’ve seen a multi-fuel powered truck with the old style headlight bracket panels . I didn’t care for those. Too many pieces to them. All is well now I think
Early multifuels had reversible headlight panels. At least in 1966 still. I was going to use them on my repower but decided to use the newer style.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little progress today. The project had been stalled because I really did not want to remove the spring pack to replace the final 2 upper dog bones.

Well along comes member Redpawn who made a tool to remove his dog bones without removing the pack on his m108. Here is a link to his thread
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186726-Resurrecting-an-M108

I copied his idea and with help from member hurricane48ssg was able to make a similiar tool. I used a BFH on the tool to loosen the nuts just like a hammer wrench. They broke loose within a couple of wacks. Now I will use a low profile ratchet to get them the rest of the way out.

Here are are some pics

Attachments

Jeepsinker

I still can't believe nobody else has figured out how to do this without removing the springs or making a tool. There is a better way. You do have to unbolt the u-bolts, but you don't have to remove the springs. I'll be making a video on it sometime in the next couple months.

I'm not poking fun at you by the way, nor am i trying to be derogatory.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn’t want to remove the ubolts either. And please realize this is not a M35. The 108 has much more spring to deal with esp. with the large walking beam across the top of the spring pack.

The tool I made took about an hour to make and cost $8.00 in material. Scrap metal and flee market sockets

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks