• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oh sweet Jesus, are those the turbine powered generators?!!!!!!!

Please please post pics and info on them sometime. (DROOL!!!!)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some more progress today. Ben slow going with the rain and logistics. Finally got the cab removed, tool box, battery box and the fuel tank. Also got the tranny out. Will have to remove pto and install on the other tranny.

Can someone chime in here. This may be a dumb question but is the transfer case different from a sprag truck to an air shift front axle? I would think not but the question came up today. I am thinking /planning to put the air shift front axle from the Donar into the m108.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I found the answer to my own question about the transfer case. So Kenny or any other other experts will the pto off the back of the transfer case in my 108 that runs the crane bolt up to the air shift case out of the donor?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, yes T-case main housings are all the same and interchangeable. But on the driver side the mounts may differ since they came in two styles. Not difficult to solve. See this old post with pics, here...

And yes, that PTO will bolt up just fine. You may also need to get new mounting bolts and studs - or re-use the original hardware. And the dog clutch collar could be a little problematic to remove.

G.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer PTO should work.....maybe. As far as I know, there were 2 gear designs that are affixed to the transfer case. One is secured by a bolt into the shaft. And the other I seem to recall a grub (set) screw. My experience is that the older ones are bolted. See if your air shift is tapped for this bolt. I'd bet there is a work around if it isn't.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gerhard. Kenny I will have to check out the Donar truck transfer case. I have not disassembled anything on that truck and do not plan to until the 108 chassis is ready to start accepting the "new" components.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Managed to push the truck inside today. Have removed all of the rivets holding the crossmember in except those under the spring hanger. Jacked up and blocked the truck and dropped the springs today. Hopefully will find time to drive the remaining rivets this week. Next I plan to clean and paint the frame and install the crossmember and RR motor mount. Then start disassembly of the donar truck. Slow process for me

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the front cross member out today. The existing holes in my "new" multi fuel front member don't exactly line up with the existing holes. Did you guy s have to make any mods for the cross member to bolt in other than enlarging the holes?

rustystud

Got the front cross member out today. The existing holes in my "new" multi fuel front member don't exactly line up with the existing holes. Did you guy s have to make any mods for the cross member to bolt in other than enlarging the holes?
When I have used other frame members or pieces from other trucks they never align up exactly. So I usually try to fit as many bolts as possible then enlarge the holes that won't fit. This way it still is pretty secure.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up until now everything has matched up. The rr engine matched up perfect with the old holes

rustystud

Up until now everything has matched up. The rr engine matched up perfect with the old holes
I don't know why the frame members alignment seems to fluctuate from one truck to another. I would "assume" that all holes where drilled in a "jig" of some sort thus making sure all pieces where the same. Maybe it has to do with multiple manufactures making the same truck, who knows ? One thing I have noticed is that most frame holes are over sized. A 1/2" hole will actually measure out to almost 9/16", and a 5/8" hole almost measures out to 3/4" . Maybe they where fighting alignment problems for years.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't know why the frame members alignment seems to fluctuate from one truck to another. I would "assume" that all holes where drilled in a "jig" of some sort thus making sure all pieces where the same. Maybe it has to do with multiple manufactures making the same truck, who knows ? One thing I have noticed is that most frame holes are over sized. A 1/2" hole will actually measure out to almost 9/16", and a 5/8" hole almost measures out to 3/4" . Maybe they where fighting alignment problems for years.
It is funny that you say this because EVERY bolt hole that is a exerting hole on BART is over size, allowing for a lot of wiggle room, depending on what my new holes were for weather I did as the military or had them dead on.

tommys2patrick

[QUOTE="SETOYOTA, post: 1804210, member: 1104"]As Kenny mentioned, the double frame is the main reason. thes

As Kenny mentioned, the double frame is the main reason. these are not just a cargo truck with a body on it .
Once you posted the pics of the transfer removal I could see the extra "web" plate running the length of the frame. I had been curious what you meant by a double frame. I always thought these ladder frame style of truck frames were designed to twist and shift around as part of the off road capability. I can understand how adding an extra web would make them stiffer and better capable of handling the stress of a crane or dump body. Does it make them behave differently in an off road situation?

Your thread is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks