• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not really, it forces the suspension to do its job!

When I took my 5ton wrecker off road, I didn't notice much difference other than a higher center of gravity.

o1951

Not really, it forces the suspension to do its job!

When I took my 5ton wrecker off road, I didn't notice much difference other than a higher center of gravity.
Just a thought - if you are going to do much off-roading with something that has a high CG like a wrecker, consider roll bars. Stock cab does not hold up well with all that weight. The bars could be unobtrusive.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just a thought - if you are going to do much off-roading with something that has a high CG like a wrecker, consider roll bars. Stock cab does not hold up well with all that weight. The bars could be unobtrusive.
Pretty sure that boom would keep it from rolling or mangle the sh!t out of any roll bar you could put on.

Not that I'd ever roll a truck...

Just sayin

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally a little progress. Got the cross member in and the rr motor mount. My cross member did not line up with the existing holes very well so I welded up the 2 front holes marked and and re-drilled. Now they are a perfect match. As Kenny did in his build I drilled all the holes out to 7/16. Used grade 8 find thread bolts with metal locking nuts

its ready for the new engine after I paint the frame. Hopefully can start dismantling the donor truck soon.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the frame primed and painted. Hopefully I can start disassembly of donar truck next week. 108 is ready for the multifuel

Free beer and food for anyone that wants to help

sierously. Planning a small MV event at my place in the near future

Attachments

sandcobra164

Got the frame primed and painted. Hopefully I can start disassembly of donar truck next week. 108 is ready for the multifuel

You certainly know how to barter!!! How about a spot to sleep?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the sheet metal off the donar truck as well as jack shaft out and clutch linkage disconnected. Baby steps. Should not be long now until the engine transplant.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok 3 months have passed since the last update. Was able to pull the multi-fuel and set it in the 108 frame today. As usual my good friend a fellow Steelsoldier hurricane48ssg Rocky worked with me on the truck. I hope to work on removing the donar trucks cab and transfer case moving over to the 108 in the near future. Maybe the truck will be done this year.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Now THOSE are the sorts of 'convivial' support get togethers I just love. Shame you are so far away. (But I WILL 'drink a toast' to (and for) you tomorrow night. Fascinating write up, great pictures and good thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks