• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now THOSE are the sorts of 'convivial' support get togethers I just love. Shame you are so far away. (But I WILL 'drink a toast' to (and for) you tomorrow night. Fascinating write up, great pictures and good thread.
your more than welcome to make the long trip. I may need a little help with my 432. The funny thing is the 108 project began as having the proper vehicle to do an oil change on the 432.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little more done today. Removed the cab from the donar which after a very good cleaning and paint will go on the 108. Was a able to save the front wiring harness as well. Had help from hurricane48ssg and another friend. I could not have gotten this far without the help.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The airshift t-case has to have the crane tail shaft added to it . Luckily this seems to be fairly straightforward. The t case has a steel adapter that fits over the splined out put shaft that mates up to the crane PTO. Thankfully everything seems to be a direct swap over from the sprag to the airshift. The airshift even has the fitting for the crane tailshaft oil line.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
mo

There are 2 different styles of that dog gear that goes on the shaft. Early ones (like yours) have the bolt through it. Newer ones have a set or grub screw in the side of the gear.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The excavator seems to make short work of it.
It does in deed help things a lot. I'm really in debt to my father-in-law for letting me use it. He is as much into industrial equipment as I am into military vehicles.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 versions.
you know a bunch about these trucks. I was just happy that it seems to swap over fairly easy. I wasn't even sure if the shaft would be threaded for the bolt. Do you know the torque spec for that bolt or were to find it?

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the excavator as a lifting device.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure of the torque Chuck. I'd bet that TM9-8022 would have it. Gerhard probably knows it off the top of his head.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the airshift transfer put in the truck today.
For those who end up doing the job on an old gasser you will need to use the original older type t case mounts and you will also need to remove the mounting male studs from the t-case and reuse the bolts from the original unit in order to clear the left side cross bar that the transfer attaches to.

the driveline has now been transplanted. :-D:-D

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks a little like a prairie Conestoga wagon don't you think. All I need is a bench seat and a team of Clyesdales .

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beware of roaming redneck farmers....they see something like that and have the urge to cut the frame off and make it into something they can pull behind a tractor!!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my friends and I found a little time to actually work on the 108 today. Installed the front and rear drive shafts. Put in the small drive shaft between the t case and the crane and also swapped the pto off the old gasser transmission to the "new" overdrive unit.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few of them in my trucks.

iirc, they did.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup on the trans in England. Chuck, should be out driving in it by the weekend! LOL

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the pto installed on the overdrive unit. Still has some of the air force strata blue.

had to remove the studs from the old unit and install them in the overdrive tranny. Everything was a direct swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics to add. But in the past few weeks and and months have managed to run all the air lines and fuel lines. The main supply air line has to be built. The compressor on a multifuel is on the opposite side of the 331 gasser. Had to buy a tube bender and some compression fittings to route the supply line to the air tanks. Not to difficult but time consuming for a newby at this stuff. Multi-Fuel tank is installed as well as the battery box and tool box. Also have installed a NOS rear wiring harness for a m35a2. Previously the mil wiring had been hacked and supplemented with a trailer wiring from harbor freight.

Today I put on the a ground strap and, negative battery cable and the ground cable for the starter . Installing the cable for the starter required removing a hot rivet and installing a bolt just as the a2 is constructed. Simply ground it down flat to the frame, stepped drilled then drove it out with a punch. I think I'm ready to put on the cab from the donor truck. Will need to double check that nothing else needs to be done before installing the cab. Maybe add a few pics tomorrow. Hope to have a multi-fuel 108 running and driving soon. I love this stuff !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks