• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big step forward today. Got the cab on the truck and the steering box in with a little help from some friends. This is the donar truck cab.
Had a little trouble with the steering box. For those who do it in the future it needs to go in from the top of the frame. This is not how I removed it.

Maybe I can get this thing running soon

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will guarantee that you will be pleased with the results. They make just great trucks.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like that towbar and the big dodge come in handy for the rebuild. Great progress!
Yes indeed. I sold my M931 and my m275 blew a brake line so the RAM took over the towing duties. The truck is much stronger than previous chevys and fords I've owned

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the m108. Managed to get the left rear motor mount bolt back in. Required jacking the motor up off the mount feeding the bolt through and placing the rubber in the metal motor mount and letting the motor back down. Took maybe 15 minutes. Don't ask me how long i tried with a drift, hammer and prior bar.:mad::twisted:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to the m108. Managed to get the left rear motor mount bolt back in. Required jacking the motor up off the mount feeding the bolt through and placing the rubber in the metal motor mount and letting the motor back down. Took maybe 15 minutes. Don't ask me how long i tried with a drift, hammer and prior bar.:mad::twisted:
I had the exact same issue when I repowered mine. Once installed, it worked great.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today I got most of the wiring harness repairs done and the starting system hooked up. I wanted to get a video of it turning over for the first time as no fuel lines are hooked up or much else. Anyhow the darn thing started up almost immediately. Stupid me pulled the throttle cable instead of the shut off. A pucker moment for a few seconds. All is well now I think. At least it runs now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiMIBYO_Hew

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the radiator rodded and installed today. Now to tidy up some wiring mainly just secure to the frame and fill with coolant and run it some . Check for leaks air, fuel, and water .

hopeful to get hood, grill and fenders blasted and put back together soon

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aybody got a source for the extra long bumper bolts on the winch truck? I'm planning to swap the front bumper but not to sure those long bolts will come out without breaking.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had to special order them from somewhere, I'll see if I can find the info tonight.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks like clinto got them from White Owl!
SE Toyota is referring to the long bolts that run from the top of the bumper and mount the clevis to the bumper and down to underneath the bumper.

I looked tonight and I can't find the invoice where I bought them.

You can also get slightly longer bolts and add clevis to the bottom of the bumper like an M35A3.

IMAG1556.jpgIMAG1558 - Copy.jpgIMAG1559.jpg

Welder1

I usually blast on Saturday's. if you can plan on that I have some work scheduled this sat but future ones are open so look at you schedule and let me know. It's not far for you about 1 1/2 hr is so drive to Albany. I have a large commercial blast system. I do this as a side operation. My shop is located at 723 South Westover Rd Albany Ga. Any CARC paint? That stuff is harder to get off.

Eddie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks