• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a screw driver handled angled pick...wish I knew what you call it. Had to climb up on the tire and get above the arm to see. It takes prying out on the tab, while prying the arm off the attachment point. Not difficult just awkward.
I absolutely can picture it. Thanks!

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to installing a 1.5" lifting rope on the front of the HMMWV along with new black sideview mirrors.

Mark

20190325_180133.jpg

riderdan

Cut down a two-man cargo divider (which I picked up really cheap), made my own seal out of a section of aluminum angle, repainted and applied weather stripping. I'm planning to get it into the truck later today (I hope)

cargo-divider-small.jpg

riderdan

Same thing I did... The prices on these dividers is redonkulus!!!!!! Made my own and looks factory.
I saw a set a week or two ago for ~$600... WTF? Is it made out of unobtainium and plated with gold? It's a five-foot section of corrugated aluminum, for Pete's sake. Supply and demand I guess, but I'm not paying those prices.

Wire Fox

Added an antenna! Though, I did just realize that I installed it on the wrong side based on what I intend to do in the long run...whoops. (I want the whip where it is, but planned on putting an offset base on the driver's side instead.) It will be fine for several months until I'm set to do it right.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

DREDnot

Inspired by the 81mm mortar ammo rack

DSCN8666.jpg

And this Ibis(?) fuel can rack

20190226_121556.jpg

I fabbed this hybrid version

DSCN8658.jpg

DSCN8661.jpg

DSCN8662.jpg

Ran out of paint right at the end, though.

Wire Fox

Seeing these water cans reminded me of something... I know it's not exactly HMMWV-related, but I need to get up on my soap box for a minute. I've been seeing people ask for absolutely cringe-worthy prices on heavily-used military water cans. It's really painful to watch and occasionally actually sell. People, do yourself a favor: buy these darned things manufacturer-direct. LCI is one of the military-contracted companies to manufacture these, and you can find the listing here: https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon.html (tan or OD). Once you hit $50, the shipping is free. LCI has all kinds of things, so you could probably just add some office supplies to your order to get 2 cans up over the $50 mark. Or y'know, just order 3-4 cans. All the parts/cap threads are compatible between all brands, so you should have no trouble using whatever accessories you already have around.

Personally, I bought 4 of the OD ones a while back and can't kill them. Only trouble I've had is all the caps don't fully tighten at the same exact point, meaning the alignment of the pour spout vs vent isn't the same for every can when in use. You can fix this by adding an o-ring to change how it seals, by adding one of the self-venting spigots, or just not caring about it and paying attention to how you pour your water.

EDIT: Just did some searching around and got some O-ring specs, copy-pasted from https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/lc-industries-water-can-pics.48159/page-2 (User: kd4bvp)
Where to buy: http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=367_144
What to buy:
9/16"ID X 11/16"OD X 1/16"CS (For Vent Cap)
014 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70014) $0.04 each

7/8"ID X 1 1/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Pouring Cap)
118 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70118) $0.12 each

3 1/2"ID X 3 11/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Large Filling Cap)
153 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70153) $0.54 each

None of my cans actually need O-rings to not leak, so you likely won't need them. Just in case you get better peace of mind, there they are.

Last edited:

DREDnot

I got them from my local HMMWV treasure trove for 20 bucks each like new. Hes got 20 + left. both black and tan.

Found the guy searching "HMMWV parts" on PHX craigslist

Tnkr59

Well, my alternator decided to get smoking hot :rolleyes: so I’ve decided to go with Those Military Guys 160 amp conversion kit.
And while I’m waiting for that to arrive I figured I should check the glow plugs as it is now non starting. Resistance is high and the plugs are all stuck as well. The tool is on order... aua
So, now is as good as time as any to pull the heater and do the MRAP 60k conversion as well, although the unit I ordered is too big to fit in the passenger footwell like another post described. So I am fabricating a mount to go between the back passengers on the tunnel. Has anyone done this install already?

Last edited:

NormB

I put in an order with LCI back in September. Received part of the order - twice - they sent a return label no problem, but I never got the jerry cans. In December, I contacted my CC/bank and said, hey, I never got these. Within days, I had a refund for 2 “cans” and shipping.

Great service. But I really wanted the cans.

Hemmed and Hawed about it for a week or so and I get this unexpected package from UPS.

Yeah, two green water cans.

Go figure.

They work great.

90Jimmy

View attachment 759944Finally got around to installing a new controller....still working on Tach install
Removed a functioning KDS EESS box and installed the S3 box...just drove the truck for first time since install. It seems to run better. More power and smoother idle. Much quieter at 55MPH. Is this a possible result of a new box or just all in my mind. I wasn’t expecting anything more than easier starts and no pulsating lights. What do you think? Anyone...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed a functioning KDS EESS box and installed the S3 box...just drove the truck for first time since install. It seems to run better. More power and smoother idle. Much quieter at 55MPH. Is this a possible result of a new box or just all in my mind. I wasn’t expecting anything more than easier starts and no pulsating lights. What do you think? Anyone...

Unfortunatley thats not possible, that’s not the function of the box..

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Might me like when I pour some Diesel Injector Clean in the tank, at the right dose, then dump the rest in for good measure. Sitting up tall with one click forward from normal on the seat, Stops quicker too.

Placebo effect... CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks