• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Carrera911

My wiper blades were disintegrating so I went and picked these up from Autozone. Unfortunately they only have the cheapies in 11" but they're probably still better than the military ones. After I pulled them off, I noticed they were branded Anco. So I did some digging and these look to be the exact OE replacement (Anco 51-11). Don't quote me though as I haven't ordered any to verify.
IMG_5475.jpgIMG_5472.jpgIMG_5473.jpg

All that was needed to retrofit these was to drill out the center pin and use that hole for the mounting screw.

My windshield washer pump was also shot and found on here than Anco 67-23 is a drop in replacement ($10 amazon). (thanks @camoscout). I bench tested it on 24 volts (with water) for 30 seconds on, 1 minute off and 30 seconds on. It got slightly warm but not bad at all. I was really surprised how much water this little thing pumps too. It comes with a new rubber grommet tank seal as well. The tank fitting is barbed unlike the OE pump and that alone makes a really secure connection. That being said, I made a little bracket to mount it using the OE pump mounting hole. Made a new harness using the old pump connectors, dielectric grease on all connections and silicone around the metal pump housing / plastic and spade connectors. The pump doesn't say the polarity, tested it both ways and the lower connector is positive the way I have it mounted. The old washer hose was too short so I replaced all the line with a $7 amazon hose and fitting kit.
IMG_5483.jpgIMG_5491.jpgIMG_5492 1.jpgIMG_5493 1.jpg

Another Ahab

That being said, I made a little bracket to mount it using the OE pump mounting hole. Made a new harness using the old pump connectors, dielectric grease on all connections and silicone around the metal pump housing / plastic and spade connectors. The pump doesn't say the polarity, tested it both ways and the lower connector is positive the way I have it mounted.
You are mighty resourceful, Carrera911.

Guessing maybe all that comes from messing around with the "pet" 911, that so?!

:shrugs::mrgreen:

Carrera911

Thanks. Not really from that but my "main" hobby of stand up jet skis. What do the three have in common? All relatively small markets with high prices on everything. I've come to learn almost all bearings, seals and o-rings are off the shelf items. The other day I saw 2 "specialty" o-rings for $20 so I found the size and got a dozen from Mcmaster for 1/4 that price. The older these trucks get, the harder parts will be to find and thus more expensive. I like finding alternatives and making them work, I guess its part of the hobby. If I find something that works, I like to post it on here for the next guy. Can't say the number of times I've found an old forum post that helped me out so I just like to pass it forward.

Wire Fox

An hour? AN HOUR?

You have GOT to buy a lottery ticket, RFN (that's RFQ for my southern friends). ;-)

Norm
I apparently need to buy one of those, too. That's all it took me the first go around, because fortunately none of mine were swollen. I suppose that is some luck!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some tire chains at auction. Thought it was 4 chains, turned out to be 4 pairs.
They're for 50" tires by 13.5, so cutting them down to length and removing one link from the cross chains to reduce it to size.
Nothing on it was tightened down/squeezed shut, so I'm putting cross chains every other side link, as opposed to every 4th. Will give me a really good set of chains for the HMMWV, and an extra pair to use for something else (bonus!)

I took a fender off the trailer to use for sizing and assembling the chains, a whole lot easier than trying to do it on the truck.
3617c623df3d226c0100867da405198484a01173-1.jpg
(edit: this was a trial fitting, I have since shortened each cross chain by 1 link to make sure the chain on the back side of the tire will have enough clearance with the upper control arm when they are on the HMMWV)

Had to order a tire chain tool, as there is no way I'm going to squeeze shut all the cross chain hooks with a hammer and anvil, especially with 56 hooks per tire chain, and over 200 of them total, not to count any screw ups I make.
Sad part is, the tool is costing me more than all the chains did, but hey, I'll have another tool for the tool room when I'm done :)

Last edited:

NormB

Few years ago, I bought a seat belt kit. My truck HAD the MWO done already, just needed belts. Turned out it was just easier to buy the whole kit, cheaper too, than look for new belts alone.

So I stashed the aluminum reinforcement plates and doo dads until I was fitting the X-doors and wondered about filling in the gap in the rear pax doors (top front).

Had seen a kit for plates on ePay, but I took ‘em out of the list for some reason or another and when I went back looking for them I could only find a much larger, pricier kit with stuff I didn’t need/want.

Then I remembered the “scrap” aluminum. The two triangle reinforcement plates (that go on the outside of the body/frame just behind the commander and drivers’ seats were already there, so what the heck.

A little cut and paste with a cardboard template, little chop-saw action (10” compound miter saw), drill for riv-nut (of course), single rivet, prime, paint, a 1/4” strip of 1/8” sticky-back foam for the corner and voila!

It’ll probably still leak, but not howl as much from airflow.

02B03D4B-E40F-4C52-964F-B4AA6253B08C.jpegE9DF5F45-1025-4A11-A300-E9082E42EA8E.jpegEC1B8469-02C3-43F0-AE3D-6359C84E38AC.jpeg

PS: photos were taken in normal position, somehow turned 90 degrees CCW on their own when uploaded. I’m not going to mess with it. I’m young enough I still appreciate technology but old enough I really resent it. Like getting my bluetooth to stay OFF on my iPhone has me really wrapped around the axle lately. Stupid technology.

Last edited:

twisted60

Did the same wiper and washer pump upgrade as Carrera911. Big difference. Also loosened the washer jets and put a shim under the lower part to angle it so it hits the windshield instead of mostly missing, now the washer pumps, the jets squirt, the wipers wipe and I get a pretty clean windshield without the chatter of the old stiff wipers.
IMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_2020.jpgIMG_2022.jpg

DREDnot

DSCN0856.jpg

Making some rear half doors with a cheap set of 2 man blanks.
Used soft door hinges and cut the floor insert down to clear the rumble seats.

DSCN0851.jpg

Field expedient latching mechanism functions better than it looks.

DSCN0869.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

Dock Rocker

Awesome work!

Wouldn’t it be easier to just swap on the H1 wiper arms and blades? Next to the 4l80 swap the H1 arms and blades was the best upgrade I have done. The factory setup just sucks especially if there is any mud involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcamacho

12” wiper blade modification.
Drilled out the center rivet and used through bolt to avoid modifying arm in case I ever need to go back to OEM style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inspector 1

Humvee Gas Tank.jpgHUMVEE 1.jpg Had a gas leak somewhere that I couldn't locate. Pulled tank. Completely stripped tank. Put back together with all new gaskets. Replaced all rubber fuel lines. Reinstalling tank tomorrow.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks