• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hauled a ton or more of gravel and paver stones to dress up my chicken/duck coop area.

The camber went neutral on the back tires and it rode super smooth.

It was nice to put it to work. View attachment 766833
Had the chickens and ducks been complaining about the aesthetics?

Nice to see these beasts actually doin' stuff.

Best,

T

McSpeed

Had the chickens and ducks been complaining about the aesthetics?

Nice to see these beasts actually doin' stuff.

Best,

T
LOL! No, they loved the muck and mud and stink! I’m sure it won’t be long till they muck this all up and make me do it again!

twisted60

Rebuilt my spare half shaft, write up and some pics in half shaft topic. Really was not hard at all, be sure to wear dirty clothes ,,, if not they will be dirty when you finish.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilt my spare half shaft, write up and some pics in half shaft topic. Really was not hard at all, be sure to wear dirty clothes ,,, if not they will be dirty when you finish.
Where did you source your parts???? Inquiring minds wanna know.

twisted60

Where did you source your parts???? Inquiring minds wanna know.
TOBASH, I should have titled it "disassembled, cleaned, inspected, repacked, new boots and reassembly" of half shaft...
I fortunately did not need to replace anything other than grease and boots. The ball bearings, star and cage were all in good condition.
See full write up under topic "HMMWV half shaft"
I would tell people changing boots is easy and boots are available from a number of locations, I bought mine from Kascar, great shipping and great prices. I have 1 half shaft finished and ready to go back on my HMWV then the next 1 will come off for the same treatment (inspection, new boots and new grease). Now that I've done it once it'll be a lot faster next time.

Wire Fox

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot]Yesterday my wife sent for shopping. There is an Air Show and Old Timer Vehicle Show in the neighboring town. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I thought I would hang in for half an hour. But at the entrance someone told the guy by radio:
-Park the Humvee next to the Willys!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I told them that I was just a visitor and I accidentally rolling with such a vehicle, my Humvee is not old enough and I have max an hour.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-No problem Sir, then people will have an hour to see![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They sent me to the exhibition area. :)[/FONT]

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still going over the new to me M1123, was adding some of the grounding harness (made my own, just did the 3 shorter wires for now, will need to have someone explain to me why the starter needs another ground on it when it's bolted to the engine block, same thing the supplemental ground attaches to anyway) and found that the generator grounding strap didn't actually have a nut securing it to the generator, it was just sitting on the stud. Definitely glad that's fixed.

Not much special other than that. Added rivnuts for the shifter, a grab handle on the passenger side attached to the windshield frame, and have stuff on order to add reverse lights, license plate light, keyed battery disconnect, windshields, and a new coolant overflow reservoir as mine has a crack in it. Only leaks when engine is hot and builds pressure, so for now for the short trips around the property I'm leaving the pressure cap loose. Will be taken care of in a few days, but the son really wanted to take a ride in it.

NormB

Yesterday/today:

twwM5QPKQjeUZB1VHPceIQ.jpgIMkbS0YUQ8GA%k8yUMkd3Q.jpg

Had the ONE warning label, but could SWEAR I also had one with either and RF or lightning bolt symbol around here somewhere, but can't find it - if it ever existed.

IS there another sticker/decal?

911joeblow

I changed out the power steering pump and harmonic balancer a couple weeks back; while I had the cooling stack out I got a good look inside the radiator. Looks like one of those magic moon gardens I had as a kid but only white crystals.

I thought I’d treated that two years ago, flushed the radiator using some of that citrate stuff from Prestone.

So, what did I do today?

I flushed the cooling system.

Oh, and I flushed the cooling system a couple more times.

Solution to pollution being dilution and all, I flushed it again.

I only get 4-1/2 gallons of coolant out with each fill and drain cycle and I know there’s a couple more gallons still in the block ‘cause I tapped out a freeze plug once to install a block heater.

I HATE the taste of antifreeze.

So I took a couple hours pouring 4-1/2 gallons of hot water back into the system, and did 7 homeopathic succusions on the remaining 2-1/2 gallons.

Still got a couple more to go, then I dump two bottles of cooling system cleaner in and drive it around Thursday and start the dilute and drain cycle over again. The SMART thing to do I think would be what, park in the driveway, stick a garden hose in the reservoir and open the drain, keeping the water going in at the same rate it’s coming out.

Might do that. It’ll clean the driveway.
A ton of rust and corrosion hides at the back of the block under the rear block off plates (hence our cooling upgrade kits) by removing those you can push water with a hose through those and get a ton of gunk out. Just make sure you buy gaskets for those before you do this (or one of our kits that includes new gaskets ;)).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a ride back home... now to figure out if I fix my engine or replace it. Either way I’ll be out of commission for a while.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/othffgf4lj87xm5/HMMWV%20engine%20noise.m4a?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that don’t sound good....
Yeah. A noise you don't want to hear. That don't sound good at all.

Sorry you had that bad luck.
OUCH!

I'm reminded of BANG BANG.... CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTzcXSLjhI

Still NOT something you WANT to hear.

NormB

A ton of rust and corrosion hides at the back of the block under the rear block off plates (hence our cooling upgrade kits) by removing those you can push water with a hose through those and get a ton of gunk out. Just make sure you buy gaskets for those before you do this (or one of our kits that includes new gaskets ;)).
I finished the ten rounds, taking the truck for a short drive a couple days, drained and filled five more times until water came out ALMOST clear, finally said the heck with it (I AM running your system by the way), rust color’s coming back again, but I DO have several bottles of Prestone corrosion-stop in the system too.

Going to replace the thermostat with a Milodon and some other recommended temp sensor and see if I can get operating temps a few degrees lower.

Just for fun. I’ll flush it again in a couple years maybe (per TM recommendations on fluid changes) if the motor lives that long it’ll be my treat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks