• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My two cents worth.... Try this with the split loom. Split loom to edge the hole. See picture to get the idea. Use a little extra length so that it is spring loaded into hole. Could add some silicone / RTV to hold it in place.

Everything work better with silicone, CAMO

IMG_6347.jpg

suzukovich

Installed a battery cut off switch. Copied location idea from fellow member, worked out pretty good. Built the cables from some 1/0 welding cable I had left over from another project and soldered on the lugs.

View attachment 748329View attachment 748330View attachment 748331View attachment 748332

Just need to put some protection on cables going into battery box so they don't chafe.
Glad it worked out. Just rember every once in a while spray with electronic parts cleaner. Also just renewed my tags 2020. So rumors of pulling tags false. Also rumor of closing loophole that I took advange of also false.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

shawnshumvee

Installed a battery cut off switch. Copied location idea from fellow member, worked out pretty good. Built the cables from some 1/0 welding cable I had left over from another project and soldered on the lugs.

View attachment 748329View attachment 748330View attachment 748331View attachment 748332

Just need to put some protection on cables going into battery box so they don't chafe.
Nice Job! This idea was coming up next on my humvee project list. Nevertheless, Good work.

twisted60

Did a little body work today, she had a slightly damaged right front fender when I got her, only ding on her, so today I fixed her up. Before and after pics.IMG_4029.jpgIMG_4055.jpg
Little Rapco rattle can paint to finish her off, I'll sand out that small run and touch it up later.

rcamacho

Fabricated full length x door hinge reinforcements. Adds some additional torsional rigidity to the doors in this area. Still way too much flex in the door structure for my sensibilities.

Shimmed the window rollers a tad with washers to take up some of the free play left/right and associated rattle. Wish I had a mill to manufacture custom fit rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol
Um, yeah.
Stuck at zero RPM until I can get the stuck pistons moving.
Working on that as we speak... https://gear-report.com/p/6cb
Might I suggest filling each cylinder with "Marvel Mystery Oil," and letting sit for 48 hours, maybe even a week. Also, boroscope is your friend.

This is what I did back in the day with old gull wing Mercedes and such [because the short blocks were unobtanium]. Then with glow plugs and injectors removed, crank the engine. If won't move, try a long bar on the crankshaft with waterpump and balancer removed.

Might be cheapest and fastest to replace with 6.5 turbo Diesel.

Was water in the engine due to direct entry through intake manifold, bad gaskets, or was it submersion???

If submerged, are pumpkins and axles dry? If there is water in the pumpkins and axles and electrics, you have some other issues to attend to.

Last edited:

Gear Report

Might I suggest filling each cylinder with "Marvel Mystery Oil," and letting sit for 48 hours, maybe even a week. Also, boroscope is your friend.
This is what I did back in the day with old gull wing Mercedes and such [because the short blocks were unobtanium]. Then with glow plugs and injectors removed, crank the engine. If won't move, try a long bar on the crankshaft with waterpump and balancer removed.
Might be cheapest and fastest to replace with 6.5 turbo Diesel.
Was water in the engine due to direct entry through intake manifold, bad gaskets, or was it submersion???
If submerged, are pumpkins and axles dry? If there is water in the pumpkins and axles and electrics, you have some other issues to attend to.
The link I provided is where I update what has been done each day. Most of what you asked is in there.
But for convenience:
- cylinders were vacuumed, the cylinders and intake filled with 50/50 acetone/ATF yesterday.
- breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt did nothing. Afraid to put any more torque on that bolt. Oil pan is off now, so I can pry on the bottom of the connecting rods and crankshaft directly. Gonna spray the bottom internals with PB Blaster shortly in hopes that it complements the work being done by the AFT/acetone mix above the pistons.
- Considering a Turbo conversion. I hear it is a real PITA. Not sure I want to take that on right now. Maybe in a year or so. Too many other things on the list at the moment. If this engine won't cooperate, then I'm looking at a few options for a drop-in NA replacement.
- water due to missing air intake cap on a deep water fording equipped truck. So, no drain in the air filter.
- haven't checked the hubs, t-case, transfer case, etc. yet. On the list, but figuring out whether this engine has to be replaced or not is the highest priority. Once that decision is made I'll have time to dig into the other stuff on this list: https://gear-report.com/humvee-info-first-things-every-hmmwv-or-hummer-owner-needs-to-know

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
- haven't checked the hubs, t-case, transfer case, etc. yet. On the list, but figuring out whether this engine has to be replaced or not is the highest priority. Once that decision is made I'll have time to dig into the other stuff on this list: https://gear-report.com/humvee-info-first-things-every-hmmwv-or-hummer-owner-needs-to-know
I suggest the engine is toast and you're :deadhorse: !

Would you really trust an engine that has seized and rusted and cannot be spun with the main crankshaft bolt? Would you drive that engine on a 1000 mile camping trip off the grid, even if you get it to turn over with acetone and ATF?

BEFORE you get into this HMMWV for more $$$, you need to check electrics and axles and pumpkin cases and tranny and transfer case. You should check them now, NOT after you buy a new engine or invest more time in this one. A working engine with bad tranny, transfer case, pumpkins and bad axles is just as much a paperweight as a frozen engine.

MHO, YMMV. Just some friendly and well meant advice.

That is a beautiful looking rig, and I really hope you get to enjoy it.

T

Last edited:

Gear Report

...MHO, YMMV. Just some friendly and well meant advice.That is a beautiful looking rig, and I really hope you get to enjoy it.
T
No worries. I am checking things as I go in order of priority and with overall condition and cost in mind. I'm not buying anything for this truck that I can't sell to get my money back out of if the whole thing turns to ****.
But, from what we have seen so far, the rest of the truck appears to be in great condition. I'm sure I'll find a few more issues, but so far, the more I dig through this truck the better I feel.
Now watch... I just jinxed it! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks