• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Skrilex

Banned
Now come on with the “heep” stuff. Jeeps are great. But yeah the H1 manual mirrors are very close to the Wrangler mirrors from 1995-2002.
Lol well my other ride is Suzuki and we get beat up something awful so must be just defensive. The mirrors though, not sure I can rock them. They look a little too civy but maybe they will grow on me.

shawnshumvee

Lol well my other ride is Suzuki and we get beat up something awful so must be just defensive. The mirrors though, not sure I can rock them. They look a little too civy but maybe they will grow on me.
Yeah maybe they will grow on you? I tinted my windows on my humvee and I wasn’t sure if I liked it but after a while it grew on me. But what’s wrong with he stock humvee mirriors? You just don’t like them?

Skrilex

Banned
Yeah maybe they will grow on you? I tinted my windows on my humvee and I wasn’t sure if I liked it but after a while it grew on me. But what’s wrong with he stock humvee mirriors? You just don’t like them?
I like them but mine never came with any and these are a lot cheaper and being attached to door makes them less hazard for the x door when they Swing Open? I dunno. For 15$ per side I figured it would be worth a try. Als having these mounted kinda low like they are does increase visibility by quite a lot over stock mirrors I’m guessing.

Action

I like them but mine never came with any and these are a lot cheaper and being attached to door makes them less hazard for the x door when they Swing Open? I dunno. For 15$ per side I figured it would be worth a try. Als having these mounted kinda low like they are does increase visibility by quite a lot over stock mirrors I’m guessing.
Both hard and soft doors should have a strap to stop the door from swinging open too far.

NormB

Finally warm enough I can work on the truck without my hands and knees screaming at me.

Lotta drilling and fitting ‘cause it’s NOT an A2 frame - had to make some spacers - but it’s on there.

93CC2B18-F4BA-4AE0-AD23-939DDF9D4C04.jpg0C86D6FB-1426-4CE8-8342-C5BD57D3AE07.jpg

Skrilex

Banned
Finally warm enough I can work on the truck without my hands and knees screaming at me.

Lotta drilling and fitting ‘cause it’s NOT an A2 frame - had to make some spacers - but it’s on there.
I’m surprised they went with this design over a solid panel. Seems like a lot of fussy welding and the ladder would stick like glue on a muddy rut where a smooth panel would slip. Not that I don’t think those are cool, they are, just puzzled how they came to that design vs a simple punched panel like we usually see for off road underbelly protectors.

therooster2001

Bit the bullet and changed out the thermostat, and the temp sensor, and finished the flush. Everything went great. The thermostat needed a razor blade to scrape out the gasket, but other than that, and odd positions getting the sensor out and in, it was quick and painless. The truck stays around 205 mostly under 40, and then goes to 215ish then the fan comes on, usually only did it when I was over 45 mph (like 45-52). 75ish degrees, and at a mile high in Denver. I think I was around 10 degrees hotter than stated on gauge, although it could have been that piece of RTV stuck in the overflow that was causing the issue..

All my shocks came in, sourcing the needed tools, and bought a jack (how did I get away without one this long?). Got new ball joint boots, we'll see how well the joints are, hoping to get away with just boots. One of them threw some grease all over the control arm / tire, and then decorated the underside of the hood.

Have a line on an extended cover, so my bed will be dry. Can't wait till rainy season is over (yes Denver has a rainy season) then it's going to go topless. Also grabbing new Baja's from Wes. Still need to give it a good detailing all around, starting in the engine bay, quite dirty, but cleaned up in the areas I touched really well. Got new seats, will wait a bit until I know that it's dry... Pumped up the tires from 30 all around to 35 F / 40 R. Feels a little better rolling.

orgnal

Bit the bullet and changed out the thermostat, and the temp sensor, and finished the flush. Everything went great. The thermostat needed a razor blade to scrape out the gasket, but other than that, and odd positions getting the sensor out and in, it was quick and painless. The truck stays around 205 mostly under 40, and then goes to 215ish then the fan comes on, usually only did it when I was over 45 mph (like 45-52). 75ish degrees, and at a mile high in Denver. I think I was around 10 degrees hotter than stated on gauge, although it could have been that piece of RTV stuck in the overflow that was causing the issue..

All my shocks came in, sourcing the needed tools, and bought a jack (how did I get away without one this long?). Got new ball joint boots, we'll see how well the joints are, hoping to get away with just boots. One of them threw some grease all over the control arm / tire, and then decorated the underside of the hood.

Have a line on an extended cover, so my bed will be dry. Can't wait till rainy season is over (yes Denver has a rainy season) then it's going to go topless. Also grabbing new Baja's from Wes. Still need to give it a good detailing all around, starting in the engine bay, quite dirty, but cleaned up in the areas I touched really well. Got new seats, will wait a bit until I know that it's dry... Pumped up the tires from 30 all around to 35 F / 40 R. Feels a little better rolling.
Please share some pictures

McReddy

kestrelnh

Not so much as a "done to" as a "done with". Although plenty of "done to" so I have the ability to actually have it participate in a "done with" :razz: Memorial day parade in Vermont with a friend's Deuce, and an '42 MB that is out of the picture.

IMG_6047.jpg

NormB

Spooled the winch cable. Got a deal on a new one about a year ago. AOR (new member) offerred to help do this as it’s something he does often in his business.

It was hot, fan clutch/sensors did their job, but the power steering pump started whining about halfway through so we stopped, popped open the hood and let it cool down for about 45 minutes. He has a fairly steep driveway, at least 7%. No leaks (not like LAST time the pump was whining and puked in my driveway).

Rest of the job went smoothly.

Now I’ve got some wall space in my garage to hang one of my son’s bicycles.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just added a airlift rear bumper and a swing out spare tire carrier. Now I just need to find a spare tire.

Thecaptain

Did a lot of little things:
- Replaced radiator cap
- Replaced thermostatic fan switch (seems to have fixed my fan issue)
- Changed transmission fluid/filter
- Changed transfer case fluid
- Changed Engine Oil/filter
- Changed front and rear diffs
- Sprayed down interior to kill my insect friends who've decided to move in.

Tomorrow, bulldogger is going to come by and we are going to try to swap my glow plugs...

Cap

Thecaptain

Sunday was rained out, but I was able to swap my glow plugs today. Went off pretty easily. Of course, I bought the extractor tool, but none of my plugs were swollen - go figure.

Cap

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sunday was rained out, but I was able to swap my glow plugs today. Went off pretty easily. Of course, I bought the extractor tool, but none of my plugs were swollen - go figure.

Cap
Mine will probably make up for it when we get to pulling them (or trying to)...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks