• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

JoeJrTheBarber

Starting to prep the truck for paint so I decided to start the ever so fun task of plugging all these random holes on the truck. wanted something that looked factory and would last so the plastic plug route wasn't a option. Decided to go with some carriage bolts in various sizes to resemble the rivets that are all over the truck. I learned very fast not to make the whole too big as the square part under the head of the bolt would not have anything to grab into and thus would just spin when trying to tighten.
holes.jpgholes1.jpgholes2.jpgholes3.jpgholes4.jpg
Alittle seam sealer under the head of each bolt and some red locktite on the nut and it is done (minus the few holes in the pics - ran out of bolts - Home depot I go).

Wire Fox

Starting to prep the truck for paint so I decided to start the ever so fun task of plugging all these random holes on the truck. wanted something that looked factory and would last so the plastic plug route wasn't a option. Decided to go with some carriage bolts in various sizes to resemble the rivets that are all over the truck. I learned very fast not to make the whole too big as the square part under the head of the bolt would not have anything to grab into and thus would just spin when trying to tighten.
View attachment 763025View attachment 763026View attachment 763027View attachment 763028View attachment 763029
Alittle seam sealer under the head of each bolt and some red locktite on the nut and it is done (minus the few holes in the pics - ran out of bolts - Home depot I go).
Looks good, but I have to ask: you're deliberately leaving out the side reflectors? What for?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

McSpeed

Used mine as a mobile power and tool station to build more bases for my son’s air soft close quarters combat zone in the backyard. 49BE7E42-2AC1-484B-BEFC-42FDF99A08BB.jpg25D7F0E3-6FED-4397-851A-B63C19F5BC74.jpg

twisted60

Drove mine 3+ hours each way to a "Touch a Truck" event that also collected canned food for the "Harry Chapin Food Bank". This was their 3rd annual event (I've been to each one), good showing of support from the community.
IMG_0877.jpg578070270.8397.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_0897.jpgIMG_0895.jpgIMG_0901.jpg

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never been a fan of them so I ditched them. I added marker lights ala a civilian Hummer H1 so my truck is more then noticeable.
Hmmm
You might not be a fan of those reflectors, but your DMV might required them.
They are intended to be a visual alert to oncoming drivers when the MV is parked and no powered lighting is illuminated. Should your vehicle be the target in a roadside collision (when it was even legally parked, and probably unoccupied) the liability for the collision might fall upon YOU for having compromised this SAFETY feature.

Your "choice" might one day prove to be VERY expensive. Should such a wreck result in a fatality, charges may escalate beyond what you are prepared to defend.... Can you spell NEGLIGENCE, WRONGFUL DEATH, and/or PRISON TIME???

Jus' sayin'.

Wire Fox

Learned that my QP-1800 inverter won't drive my air compressor. Then again, I think something is wrong with my air compressor. It'd throw the breaker every time I tried to run it on the HMMWV, and kept burning out 20A fuses on my garage breaker until I decided that it needed to be placed out of service (luckily, I had enough air in the tank when it went out to finish the job). The HMMWV did do an excellent job of being a 24V slave for test-operation of my new-to-me H-1 Ground Support Heater, which I'm hoping is going to be able to do some excellent duty at being able to help some friends with a pest control issue (buying, repairing, and operating this is proving to be less than the cost of renting a similar unit...).

I also did a little bit of running around in it to the park the other day with my wife. Had probably the most hilarious run-in with a gawker to-date. The guy was stopped, preparing to turn out of a smaller street that I happened to need to turn in to, but he was pretty much dead-center so that I couldn't actually enter the street properly. I make the turn anyway, but drive up onto the curb and creep by until I can get around him. Meanwhile, he literally climbs up out of his driver window to have the whole top half of his body hanging out and I can hear him yelling at me. I'm expecting heckling for driving on the curb, but when I poke my head out to hear him better, I hear him very clearly yell "I'LL TRADE YOU! RIGHT NOW! MY TRUCK FOR YOUR'S!" I just laugh, shake my head, and keep on going on down a street that was really too small for have turned on. In all honestly, he'd be losing on that deal. It was a pretty nice, newer GMC that looked like it was in good shape. I could probably have sold it to buy another HMMWV that was in better shape.

Awol

Hmmm
They are intended to be a visual alert to oncoming drivers when the MV is parked and no powered lighting is illuminated. Should your vehicle be the target in a roadside collision (when it was even legally parked, and probably unoccupied) the liability for the collision might fall upon YOU for having compromised this SAFETY feature.

Your "choice" might one day prove to be VERY expensive. Should such a wreck result in a fatality, charges may escalate beyond what you are prepared to defend.... Can you spell NEGLIGENCE, WRONGFUL DEATH, and/or PRISON TIME???

Jus' sayin'.
It must be hard living in fear of such trivial things.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a "fear" at all, Sir. It's just an abundance of CAUTION on the part of our hobby - collectible military vehicles - and the PROTECTION of the good graces of legislators who, at the stroke of a pen, can stop this hobby dead in its tracks as a result of POOR CHOICES of just a few who failed to consider the potential consequences of their actions.

EVERY one of us - whether we choose to acknowledge it or not - IS AN AMBASSADOR for this entire hobby. Our due diligence or flagrant disregard for safety will be the life or death of the hobby. Just look at all the threads and posts on these SS Forums wherein laws are being drafted and passed to limit the use of these vehicles on the public roads.

The choice may be made by just one to disregard prudence. But the fallout from that dereliction - particularly if seized upon by an unfriendly media - could be catastrophic for all of us.

:rant:

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Hmmm

Jus' sayin'.
I see these trucks as a say a Hot Rod or any other custom car / motorcycle / etc.
They are to be built, modified, and maintained to the owners digression. What's the 1st thing a Harley-Davidson owner does when he gets his new bike home from the dealer ? Takes off the ugly ass reflectors on his bike. Why ? It's his bike, he's paying for it, its his life on that seat, and its really no one else's business what HE does with HIS bike. Remember the motto to each his own ?

I joined this message board to both get help and ideas on the then new to me Humvee I purchased back in 2017 as well as post my modifications and changes as I built the truck in my vision to hope to help others, but literally the "purists" have ruined my experience on this site, and thus this will be my last post. Why should I continue to be active, post pics and tips that I think can be helpful to others when I get yelled at like a kid because I removed the reflectors off MY truck that I paid for ? And if it's not the removal of the reflectors its I put a lift on my truck, or the blue tooth stereo isn't USAF approved, or whatever the ****.

You guys can keep this site. I am much more active and welcomed on the Humvee Facebook groups, hope to see some (I stress some) of ya guys over there..

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Easy up GUYS. It's a hobby. Camo paint, I didn't see it. All black, didn't see it either. Stopped to stare at it, ran into the car in front of me. Anything is possible. What's important is sticking together to make the hobby great for all here.

I get it...There are rules and more rules for the rules. As a side line , Why are there reflectors? Seems like a good laser / light beam designator for a military set-up? Had them on the M38A1 & M37 too.

Cut it anyway you like, just like a hair cut, CAMO

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm

Jus' sayin'.
Not a "fear" at all, Sir. It's just an abundance of CAUTION on the part of our hobby - collectible military vehicles - and the PROTECTION of the good graces of legislators who, at the stroke of a pen, can stop this hobby dead in its tracks as a result of POOR CHOICES of just a few who failed to consider the potential consequences of their actions.

EVERY one of us - whether we choose to acknowledge it or not - IS AN AMBASSADOR for this entire hobby. Our due diligence or flagrant disregard for safety will be the life or death of the hobby. Just look at all the threads and posts on these SS Forums wherein laws are being drafted and passed to limit the use of these vehicles on the public roads.

The choice may be made by just one to disregard prudence. But the fallout from that dereliction - particularly if seized upon by an unfriendly media - could be catastrophic for all of us.

:rant:
I see these trucks as a say a Hot Rod or any other custom car / motorcycle / etc.
They are to be built, modified, and maintained to the owners digression. What's the 1st thing a Harley-Davidson owner does when he gets his new bike home from the dealer ? Takes off the ugly ass reflectors on his bike. Why ? It's his bike, he's paying for it, its his life on that seat, and its really no one else's business what HE does with HIS bike. Remember the motto to each his own ?

I joined this message board to both get help and ideas on the then new to me Humvee I purchased back in 2017 as well as post my modifications and changes as I built the truck in my vision to hope to help others, but literally the "purists" have ruined my experience on this site, and thus this will be my last post. Why should I continue to be active, post pics and tips that I think can be helpful to others when I get yelled at like a kid because I removed the reflectors off MY truck that I paid for ? And if it's not the removal of the reflectors its I put a lift on my truck, or the blue tooth stereo isn't USAF approved, or whatever the ****.

You guys can keep this site. I am much more active and welcomed on the Humvee Facebook groups, hope to see some (I stress some) of ya guys over there..
JoeJrTheBarber:
Thank you for your participation in these Forums and, hopefully, for your continued active presence here.
Should you choose to step away, that is your option, just as we all have the free will to stay or leave situations that may make us uncomfortable.

I noticed you quoted only my original comment concerning the omission of safety reflectors, but then did not include my second post wherein the rationale was further explained. So, I have quoted all the relevant commentary above for clarity.

Your assertion that I might be a "purist" is anything but the truth.

I fully agree with you. Everyone can exercise their "free will". HOWEVER, the consequences of one person's errant decision(s) can and historically WILL have a fall-out impact upon all who are innocent of any unsafe actions. There are innumerable testimonies in these forums wherein good-willed members have shared freely their experiences, knowledge, education, and values toward the betterment of this community. Accepting what is offered is up to the reader. Again, we all have free will.

It should be noted that NOTHING offered here has been stated with any malice whatsoever. It is unfortunate that anyone could take offense at the offering of sage advice.

Be that as it may. You are still welcome here.

Respectfully,
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks