• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

riderdan

Here's a photo of it up...
dve1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic... the lighting is terrible this morning. I need to try again when the truck is in the garage or in the late evening when the contrast isn't confusing my phone.

dve.jpg

DVE bracket with backup camera...

I'm trying to strike a balance between keeping the truck close to what I drove in the military and being 50 years old... So for instance, I added a spare tire carrier that will raise and lower the spare without throwing out my back. And parking this around town without a backup camera was a chore because here in our tiny town lots of spots are angled in and the truck has pretty big blind spots (and Uncle Sugar can't make me use a ground guide). My preference is to use actual military equipment to do all this.

Anyway, this is my current backup camera monitor mounted in a drop-down DVE bracket. I have another monitor that's closer in size and looks to the actual DVE monitor that I'll swap out when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Inspection day! I went to replace the front shackle brackets and found out that with the newer revision of parts, the original bolts weren't long enough... that's going to be on order.

But yes, inspections. I decided to look under the HMMWV. Pretty easy to see: an obvious class 3 leak from the transmission...that's not good. The oil filter angle bracket also was a class 2 and I'll deal with it on my next oil change. Worst item: my pitman arm is loosey goosey. My HMMWV is pretty darned NMC now.

Now, it's not all bad news. I've had a transmission sitting in reserve, needing rebuild. I was going to order the parts this week to rebuild it, but while searching for my shackles that I set aside somewhere, I stumbled across something I forget I bought: a full 3L80 and 4L80E overhaul kit from AM General. New seals, gaskets, springs, clutch plates, and all that good stuff. It's almost like the class 3 existed purely to tell me: it is time. If this rebuild goes well, It's sure going to be nice having a properly configured transmission back in place. The one in there has a few annoying errors making it not great for a HMMWV...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Hey, also, just figured out my intermittent glow plug issue and why it's not actually anything defective (especially since the glow plugs cycled perfectly, despite flashing at me). I've been slaving off of my HMMWV to test out a portable heater I have, which isn't correctly charging. Once I swapped in a functional voltage gauge in my HMMWV, it was obvious: my batteries are just getting low. Good part is my alternator in the HMMWV is working just fine, as I saw that kick on within about 25 seconds and put the gauge perfectly in the green. Seems like I'll need to give the batteries a good top-up on a maintenance charger to keep them in good balance and good health.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inspection day! I went to replace the front shackle brackets and found out that with the newer revision of parts, the original bolts weren't long enough... that's going to be on order.

But yes, inspections. I decided to look under the HMMWV. Pretty easy to see: an obvious class 3 leak from the transmission...that's not good. The oil filter angle bracket also was a class 2 and I'll deal with it on my next oil change. Worst item: my pitman arm is loosey goosey. My HMMWV is pretty darned NMC now.

Now, it's not all bad news. I've had a transmission sitting in reserve, needing rebuild. I was going to order the parts this week to rebuild it, but while searching for my shackles that I set aside somewhere, I stumbled across something I forget I bought: a full 3L80 and 4L80E overhaul kit from AM General. New seals, gaskets, springs, clutch plates, and all that good stuff. It's almost like the class 3 existed purely to tell me: it is time. If this rebuild goes well, It's sure going to be nice having a properly configured transmission back in place. The one in there has a few annoying errors making it not great for a HMMWV...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
That will all keep you busy a while. When I replaced my entire steering linkage (just not the gear box) I ordered pitman and idler from HummerPartsGuy and am very happy with his customer service, FYI. He charges more than scrounging surplus off eBay, but he provides plenty of advice by email and phone and is the kind to build a relationship with his customer. For critical parts, he's my guy.

BDGR

NormB

Well, I guess I made some new friends. Found this note tucked in on the door hinge.

View attachment 763831
View attachment 763832

Truck is parked on the road, registered and insured.

Don’t you just love your neighbors?

And that isn’t nail polish on my thumb! Slammed it in the car door trying to close it carefully so I wouldn’t wake the wife when I left early.

273777CE-9045-4ADE-A207-DFCB2FF2DA89.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Heh heh. I haven't had trouble with that yet, but I at least try to keep the RPM very low when cruising my echo chamber of a narrow street. My exhaust is pretty loud since I need to install new seals (all sitting in a box, waiting for my final transmission install so I hopefully don't have to pull the exhaust again for a while). I try to stay off my neighbors' nerves so they stay off of my back. Works pretty well so far, but I also don't have an HOA that mandates what is "the right way," so we all have a bit of give and take on figuring out a good balance to things.

Chief B

Sounds like it's time to become VERY familiar with your HOA's ByLaws, Rules and Covenants.
Do you know a good attorney?
This is why my wife is on the HOA board. Nobody will say anything to me. Besides my diesel is quieter then both my son’s bike and his mustang.

therooster2001

This is why my wife is on the HOA board. Nobody will say anything to me. Besides my diesel is quieter then both my son’s bike and his mustang.

Checked HOA docs, just like my city code it’s 72 hours of being in a spot not moved or two week if I am on vacation, it’s abandoned and three have the right to tow it at my expense. I drive it every two or three days so I’m good there.

Well, I don’t think it’s the noise, several neighbors vehicles are louder than the HMMWV. I am on a corner, so people have to drive past it. I’m in a ritzy neighborhood. I don’t think people like the camo color. To me it’s the color of freedom.

We have several H2 and H3’s in the neighborhood, which also park on the street, so I think someone thinks it’s me taking down the property values. I’ve been here for 20 years and I feel like this is a new resident and also a very ignorant or misinformed individual. I will change nothing..

NormB

Got into replacing broken down heater ducts. NOWHERE in the manual does it say the idiots at the American General factory used some kind of glue to hold the bottom of the diverter and the dashboard and cross-piece in place.

Took HOURS poking and pounding with old wood chisels and paint scrapers to get the parts loose, then refinished, redy for reinstallation once the new hoses and diverter arrive (old diverter box seals are crumbly, and flaps don’t close completeley).

F084A3E2-F7AF-4142-ACF2-FF61A0D99409.jpgDF3E26C7-C180-4CFC-A4B7-C04976D98A44.jpg

Another Ahab

Got into replacing broken down heater ducts. NOWHERE in the manual does it say the idiots at the American General factory used some kind of glue to hold the bottom of the diverter and the dashboard and cross-piece in place
It is a real PIA for sure when the engineers who design something ignore the idea that anybody later might want to take something apart, or replace it.

That can get a body steamed...

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got into replacing broken down heater ducts. NOWHERE in the manual does it say the idiots at the American General factory used some kind of glue to hold the bottom of the diverter and the dashboard and cross-piece in place.

Took HOURS poking and pounding with old wood chisels and paint scrapers to get the parts loose, then refinished, redy for reinstallation once the new hoses and diverter arrive (old diverter box seals are crumbly, and flaps don’t close completeley).

View attachment 764149View attachment 764150
I plan to replace the cross over hoses in my duct so this is helpful. I imagine the "glue" was intended to help seal against loss of air flow, not as a fastener per se. Still, it functions the same way.

Any other insights to share re: pulling that off and putting back on?

Bulldogger

Another Ahab

I plan to replace the cross over hoses in my duct so this is helpful. I imagine the "glue" was intended to help seal against loss of air flow, not as a fastener per se. Still, it functions the same way.
Bulldogger
Bulldogger, you are smarter than me, so you're right, of course.

Stiil that kind of thing (reverse engineering) can drive you bananas, you know?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked HOA docs, just like my city code it’s 72 hours of being in a spot not moved or two week if I am on vacation, it’s abandoned and three have the right to tow it at my expense. I drive it every two or three days so I’m good there.

Well, I don’t think it’s the noise, several neighbors vehicles are louder than the HMMWV. I am on a corner, so people have to drive past it. I’m in a ritzy neighborhood. I don’t think people like the camo color. To me it’s the color of freedom.

We have several H2 and H3’s in the neighborhood, which also park on the street, so I think someone thinks it’s me taking down the property values. I’ve been here for 20 years and I feel like this is a new resident and also a very ignorant or misinformed individual. I will change nothing..
You're in a great place AND I agree...Change nothing and live your life. If the neighbor becomes a problem threatening HOA action, you can consider sending a note to the HOA that casually mentions harassment and legal action against the HOA.

I would place cameras in the truck to see who the person is, and then have your lawyer confront them for harassment and failure to follow HOA bylaws and procedures. (Do not confront them yourself).

Another Ahab

You're in a great place AND I agree...Change nothing and live your life.
I would place cameras in the truck to see who the person is, and then have your lawyer confront them for harassment and failure to follow HOA bylaws and procedures. (Do not confront them yourself).
Good advice here, for sure.

And there is usually more than way to tackle any one problem. Like here is one idea for you:

- Go to a Staples store (or anything similar) nearby, make a poster that reads like this and hang it off the truck

- "Who welcomes you/ Welcomes me/ And the one who welcomes me/ Welcomes the one who sent me"

It might resonate. It might not. Posters like that don't cost much.

NormB

Any other insights to share re: pulling that off and putting back on?
Bulldogger
Getting it back together isn't too hard. As far as sealing against air loss goes, there's not much of a seal on the end that goes to the driver toe heater tube.

I have a tube of paintable caulk and I plan to run a bead along the FRONT edge where the cross-piece meets the frame and dog house cover turn locks and just daub some paint on it. THAT is what I expect the engineering geniuses should've figured out 30 years ago, or put a roll/D-bead of something FORWARD at bottom, but this was like epoxy.

Chisels, wide and thin paint scrapers and a mallet and take your time.

Oh, and I replaced the screws w/ slot/hex-head 1" #10 screws from the big orange hardware store. About $2.27 for 12 (used 9). Spray painted the heads.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed some strobes on the HMMWV. Don't know what I am prepping for but the insanity continues. LOL

Mark

side strobes.jpg

back end strobes.jpg

rear side strobes.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks