• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Chief B

Went to do some troubleshooting on my blackout light to see why it was not working. It was an easy diagnosis once water started coming out of the screw holes as I loosened the screws. Then this is what I found... Not even anything to hold the bulb left in there.
IMG_2492.jpg

Dock Rocker

I’m looking at a m998. 6.5 L 4 speed. 1987. Is 260,000 miles too much? The engine was rebuilt last year
My odometer only goes to 100,000 how would you know it went to 200k? My guess is your speedo is wrong. I have never seen a truck with more miles than mine at 78k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM R

Well since today marks one week since I picked up mine, last 4 days I replaced the engine fan temp sender and the tcm, cleaned the Cadillac valve,
new temp sender for glow plugs
Made and installed key ignition switch
Mounted the rear antenna
Mounted the radio
Mounted some cup holders
Installed led headlights and a bunch of misc. Parts, I know I'm forgetting some stuff
Got a jeep rear seat cause i need more than a 4 seater, kids

Jpn2dfire

My odometer only goes to 100,000 how would you know it went to 200k? My guess is your speedo is wrong. I have never seen a truck with more miles than mine at 78k.

I’m going to look at it weds. The guy selling it says the odo says 260,000. I asked him to send me a picture of it. He said the engine was rebuilt 1 year ago

Chief B

Well since today marks one week since I picked up mine, last 4 days I replaced the engine fan temp sender and the tcm, cleaned the Cadillac valve,
new temp sender for glow plugs
Made and installed key ignition switch
Mounted the rear antenna
Mounted the radio
Mounted some cup holders
Installed led headlights and a bunch of misc. Parts, I know I'm forgetting some stuff
Got a jeep rear seat cause i need more than a 4 seater, kids
Pics?

NormB

Took mine out for a ride yesterday, local muscle car/collector car meetup in the parking lot by a Starbucks and a Roy Rogers restaurant, been going on for years.

Found a spot next to two other HMMWVs, one owned by “Melvin” and another I have no idea who it belonged to; there was a CUCV too but I didn’t catch the guy’s name either.

Andrew “Scrounger” showed up - next time he’ll bring something YUGE, I’m sure.

Brought my dog Hudson Shepherd, he always attracts as much attention as the cars. There are times I wish I were still single, and half my age, with good joints...

Anyway, truck ran well, Scrounger gave it a listen and allayed - some of - my fears of odd noises and belt tension.

2EB86BC5-4BA8-47B0-BD33-F53F4DD09D8D.jpg

NormB

I changed out the power steering pump and harmonic balancer a couple weeks back; while I had the cooling stack out I got a good look inside the radiator. Looks like one of those magic moon gardens I had as a kid but only white crystals.

I thought I’d treated that two years ago, flushed the radiator using some of that citrate stuff from Prestone.

So, what did I do today?

I flushed the cooling system.

Oh, and I flushed the cooling system a couple more times.

Solution to pollution being dilution and all, I flushed it again.

I only get 4-1/2 gallons of coolant out with each fill and drain cycle and I know there’s a couple more gallons still in the block ‘cause I tapped out a freeze plug once to install a block heater.

I HATE the taste of antifreeze.

So I took a couple hours pouring 4-1/2 gallons of hot water back into the system, and did 7 homeopathic succusions on the remaining 2-1/2 gallons.

Still got a couple more to go, then I dump two bottles of cooling system cleaner in and drive it around Thursday and start the dilute and drain cycle over again. The SMART thing to do I think would be what, park in the driveway, stick a garden hose in the reservoir and open the drain, keeping the water going in at the same rate it’s coming out.

Might do that. It’ll clean the driveway.

Jpn2dfire

lol, for sure. i want to be able to drive it to work sometimes. about 25 miles but have to take the highway. with he 6.5L and 4 speed transmission.. will it be able to do highway speeds of 65mph without screaming to engine too bad? I'm new but trying to do all the research I can.

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try some automatic dish washer LIQUID detergent. Yes the stuff you put in your dishwasher. It will eat up that calcium and nothing else, like those expansion plugs. If you having trouble flushing the system how are you going to get that acid type cleaner out. Use distilled water when you fill with antifreeze.

NormB

Try some automatic dish washer LIQUID detergent. Yes the stuff you put in your dishwasher. It will eat up that calcium and nothing else, like those expansion plugs. If you having trouble flushing the system how are you going to get that acid type cleaner out. Use distilled water when you fill with antifreeze.
I’ve got a mini-still (from Rebel Brewer’s about ten years back... which handed records over to BATFe who sent me a note warning it’s not to be used for distilling spirits... something about George Washington fielding an army larger than his Revolutionary War army against farmers and home brewers in the whisky rebellion in the interests of protecting his own distillery), I only ever use it for distilled water for neti, steam iron, house plants.

Yeah, so there’s that.

I got concerned about that residual 8 quarts (or so) remaining in the block every time I drained the coolant.

I was a pharmacy tech/medic in a past life and have always been good with arithmetic so I did a little calculation.

8 quarts out of 26 is 0.307 or about 31% of the total volume.

If I drained and filled the coolant after running/mixing/diluting TEN times, I’d reduce the original amount of 8 quarts by a factor of 0.307^10 times that 8 quarts.

Works out to something like 0.0001 ounces remaining of the original 8 residual quarts of 4 cups of Cascade commercial dishwasher detergent dissolved and poured into the system.

That’s a fraction of an ounce of the original 4 cups in 26 quarts.

I’m on my fourth dilution. Letting the engine cool down a bit. 24” fan’s running, hood’s open, garage is open - it’s about 78F outside now that the last round of thunderstorms has passed, I’m pouring in 120F hot water into a block that’s down to about 140F before I drain it. Then I run the engine until it comes up to about 190 - maybe 15 minutes at high idle (about 900 rpm with a handful of runups to around 2000-25000) and the water’s just now coming out close to clear, from an original brown (rust/sediment) then white I figure’s from all the dissolved calcium/aluminum salts.

Going out for #5, will probably do five more tomorrow morning with distilled water in the last 2-3 before pouring in the antifreeze.

Overkill? OCD? I’m a doctor. I’d expect no less from myself.

I did check around for radiator shops, even jiffy lube for flushing/backflushing. Prices were mostly in the 3-digit range or a simple we don’t work on military vehicles from a few.

So, on my days off, this is what I do. Plus make phone calls, hang out with the dogs, pay bills, the usual stuff we all do to make this hobby so much of a distraction/relief from the mundane.

RichDane

lol, for sure. i want to be able to drive it to work sometimes. about 25 miles but have to take the highway. with he 6.5L and 4 speed transmission.. will it be able to do highway speeds of 65mph without screaming to engine too bad? I'm new but trying to do all the research I can.
I did the 4l80 and a A2 motor.....4L80 is best thing you can do for a M998 it is great !!!!!!1

McSpeed

Hauled a ton or more of gravel and paver stones to dress up my chicken/duck coop area.

The camber went neutral on the back tires and it rode super smooth.

It was nice to put it to work. A9BEE2FA-38FE-4C91-95D3-9C5F05EA0E50.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks