• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Daves86

Windshield Replaced

Forgot to do a before pic but the edges of the existing glass were cloudy.
Windshield 2.JPGWindshield 3.JPGWindshield 4.JPG

Couldn't believe the difference in the clarity after replacing the windshield. Almost like driving a new car :)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made new insulation panels for the passenger side. Still have to do the driver side ones. Lots of work cutting and sewing. Not something I want to do again soon!
Made from ballistic nylon and some plastic insulation gleaned from an old swimming pool cover.
Bulldogger
3817C800-EF31-42C8-8AA4-5CB5FE3A484F.jpgC4C6E3C8-6827-46FC-80C3-3678017F1B2C.jpg

Last edited:

Crapgame

Made new insulation panels for the passenger side. Still have to do the driver side ones. Lots of work cutting and sewing. Not something I want to do again soon!
Made from ballistic nylon and some plastic insulation gleaned from an old swimming pool cover.
Bulldogger
View attachment 773525View attachment 773526
That's some nice work! I can imagine how much time you put into all that, I was just thinking about something to prevent burning my right calf on the transmission tunnel while driving wearing shorts. Turning the inside of your HMMWV into a padded cell! Nice! :razz:

Crapgame

Installed two antenna mounts (86HMMWV's custom cut internal backer plates were perfect fit) on the wheelhouses per the TM, started working on converting an A0 M1025 windshield frame for the two-point side mirrors, removing the lolipop mirror bases for a Navigator/TC External A Pillar GPMG Pintle Mount. Waiting on my neighbor's beer drinking friends to visit him, so I can have them lift the M1025 tin roof onto the rig for me. Its that or strapping my Harbor Freight winch to my oak tree branch to lift it up then I drive the rig under it. Work smarter not harder, right?

I can't believe how many frickin' parts I'm been hording, sheesh, up to 3 turret kits, 6 antenna bases, two sets of GMV A and B Pillar GPMG Pintle Mounts, its a disease! But like I was just telling Ryan, buy it cheap while you can, stack it deep, look how much turret kits have increased in price in the past 9 months. It didn't help the USMC M1043A2 and M1045A2 buyers when the documented M1025A2 GMVs came on the market.

Another Ahab

Made new insulation panels for the passenger side.
Bulldogger
View attachment 773526
That's some nice work! I can imagine how much time you put into all that,
No kidding, Crapgame is right, that IS some nice work. The fit is perfect.

Guessing this is not your "first rodeo" at machine-sewing, Bulldogger.

You might have mentioned it before, but where did you learn the trade?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No kidding, Crapgame is right, that IS some nice work. The fit is perfect.Guessing this is not your "first rodeo" at machine-sewing, Bulldogger.You might have mentioned it before, but where did you learn the trade?
Thanks Ahab. I'm self taught. I started sewing this heavy stuff a couple years ago when I began making soft slant backs. As to the fit, I feel more than a bit lucky. I'm not always so successful. Time will tell, as the fabric may shrink and cause issues yet.

It was a royal PITA though, so I definitely won't be offering these for sale. I do like the look though.

Bulldogger

Last edited:

ccat

Replaced glow plugs and glow plug controller and Tsu this weekend now everything is working great also added grounding harness

Last edited:

RichDane

Always a work in progress...

First I stuck in a 4L80 Overdrive trans in the beast........best thing I ever did...then I Replaced my 6.5 old A1 with a new(er) A2...new engine wiring harness, Ran like a mixmaster, rough idle, no power shook the whole truck......plus white smoke which would denote in most cases, abundance of fuel....(as long as it isn't burning antifreeze which it wasn't) rebiult the injector pump.... ...replaced the injectors.....no difference.......out of desperation, I popped off the valve covers.....here one of those cheap little white plastic rocker retainer pins sheared off and the rocker wasn't even on the valve and the pushrod was bent and stuck in the block.....I replaced all the plastic retaining pin on all the rockers and buttoned the engine back up.....runs like a new motor, oil pressure 40 on idle 60 at 60 MPH....motor running cool, (no smoke) I am in love all over again ...If I didn't see it, I never would have believed that this was the problem...no noise from the valve covers, no evidence that this would be the problem.....keep this in mind if you have the same issue and can't figure out whats wrong......this is probably the issue.....Happy Humvee'ing

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lotsa' work.

Finally placed the HMMWV on a lift and went over all of the underside.

Ball joints ordered. They are sloppy.

Tie rod ends ordered, they are sloppy.

Fuel cell leak at decline 30 degree angle appears to be rusted line, tank getting dropped.

My transfer case linkage was loose and corroded, now my 6.2 equipped M1025 with TH400 does 70+MPH, (and in a few days I will list the never installed 2.58 pinion/crown sets in the classified section here.) Pumpkin seals not leaking.

Transfer case seals minor leak, so when I get the 700R4 I will replace at the same time.

Steering/hydraulic pump leaks, replacement arriving today.

Front driver's side boot torn, gotta find the best replacement. Kinda' remember Auto Zone sells 'em.

Wheels with 8 -bolt rims are bouncing. 24 bolt wheels with almost new tires and centramatics being placed.

New shock absorbers in.

Brake pads OK, but rotors kinda rough with mild rust. lots of steel there so I will see if they smoothen out a bit. As they work fine and stop on a dime, seems safe.

Brake fluid DOT 5 changed, (and all fluids changed).

Wheel boxes being opened and re-sealed with new grease. When I bought her I was told they have safety captures on the axle bolts, but if not I have a set to keep the vehicle safe.

Emergency brake adjustment is seized, and is being penetrating oiled. We will see how that goes.

Once all this is done and she is safe to drive, ..... maybe I will get to the A/C with under the rear tire evaporator, dual voltage alternator, spare fuel cell, airlift bumper with ratcheting spare tire carrier, inner passenger/flatbed storage removable 'wall', (maybe an aluminum cupula for the turret), re-paint, etc, etc, etc...

I own most of the accessory parts I mentioned, but they are all secondary to getting her safe to drive in the snow.

By Winter she should at least be ready for the ski slopes.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Wire Fox

Ran myself out of fuel! That jumpy sender conditioned me to just ignore my fuel gauge. Turns out, I miscalculated how much I had driven since my last refueling and had the sheer joy of running out of fuel at a stop light. In a cascade of failures, I found that someone played with my road triangles and broke two of them, so my emergency signalling was not what I wanted. As well, I had literally just left from somewhere that I needed to use some tools, so I had removed my tool roll from the HMMWV to do that work-then was distracted while finishing the job and left it there. Normally not a big deal, but it had my fuel nozzle in it.

I ended up cutting a water bottle I had in order to transfer fuel from my fuel can. I transferred about a gallon's worth and restarted the truck. Had to restart several times, as there was some air in the system and it repeatedly stalled until that air purged. Once it was running smooth, I then drove myself into a nearby lot and called up a friend that had also just left the same place and had them retrieve my tool roll, so I could finish refueling properly. Was able to drive the rest of the way home without incident. Since I should have only about 3 gallons of fuel left, this seems like a perfect time to drain the tank, drop the tank, install a tank access door, and replace that sender!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks