• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Another Ahab

its working fine, it only needed some love and attention..... what you do yourself, you do mostly better
Absolutely, johan77, you got a valid point there I think.

I made a living as a carpenter for a few years as a young buck.

I always told people (aside from the learning curve of any one task), that generally you'll do a job as good or equal of any journeyman if you tackle it yourself:

- You won't resort to the professional shortcuts of a piece-worker (understandable)

- And you'll take more time with it because you are going to keep seeing it everyday

A generalization, yes, but something sure to what you say!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its working fine, it only needed some love and attention.....i found it in a rough (but complete) shape in a second hand store for a few euro's. sand blasted the cabinet and applied 2 coates of clear varnish, the machine itself i only cleaned out with compressed air, i have it for a year or 15 now, it was Always standing in the hallway here but was never used, untill i decided to give it a try to do the canvas repairs myself instead of running all over town to search for someone who does that kinda stuff....(they dont like to see me coming with something like a used heavy and for them dirty canvas cover) !! what you do yourself, you do mostly better
I cleaned and refinished one of those w few years ago, purchased at an Estate Sale after the death of a neighbor. I gave it as a present to my best friend's wife who is a quilting enthusiast. It counts among her most prized possessions now.

I'm going to look at a Pfaff 245 this weekend. It is rusty and needs love and attention, but it is a professional upholstery machine and will be a useful tool for me if I can restore it.

Always glad to see others doing some stitching. Good work!

Bulldogger

johan77

I cleaned and refinished one of those w few years ago, purchased at an Estate Sale after the death of a neighbor. I gave it as a present to my best friend's wife who is a quilting enthusiast. It counts among her most prized possessions now.

I'm going to look at a Pfaff 245 this weekend. It is rusty and needs love and attention, but it is a professional upholstery machine and will be a useful tool for me if I can restore it.

Always glad to see others doing some stitching. Good work!

Bulldogger
Thank you sir,

good luck with restoring , i think with that machine you have a heavy duty one, can stitch 10 times thicker material then my singer i believe !! nice, it's a keeper !

MattNC

F21A38E8-88F3-446F-B49F-F02EB899C76F.jpgC246BB4A-0B2D-4473-A90F-9E1EAFB2CB2D.jpg67CCE293-2BE2-47FA-9C38-DB79D4BFF1DF.jpg

Finished fabricating and mounting my modified copy of a Luverne brushguard. Was going to add the expanded metal but liked it better without it.

Last edited:

johan77

installed the new oil pressure gauge, still waiting for the sender to arrive and we will see if there's something diffrent…(hoping, hoping hoping…..)

can someone take a look at their front windshield? still didn't figure out in wich direction the seal should be mounted..with the flat side pointing outside or inside ?

thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

can someone take a look at their front windshield? still didn't figure out in wich direction the seal should be mounted..with the flat side pointing outside or inside ?
Those kinds of problems are the worst.

When you don't know for sure, and it's a 50/50 chance of you getting it right.

That's when the Wrenching Gods will get you:

- You will get it all installed, and then find out (after you are finished), that you got it backwards

- Happens every time

The WG'S will be hooting and hollering, and LAUGHING!!!

You will be crying...

AA.gif

johan77

Those kinds of problems are the worst.

When you don't know for sure, and it's a 50/50 chance of you getting it right.

That's when the Wrenching Gods will get you:

- You will get it all installed, and then find out (after you are finished), that you got it backwards

- Happens every time

The WG'S will be hooting and hollering, and LAUGHING!!!

You will be crying...

View attachment 769177

:mrgreen: hahahahahahaha yeeessss !!! so you know how it goes most , not all the time ! hahahaha That's so cool :D

by the way, i just realized that i put the question also on the wrong forum....its from the windshield on a deuce and a half....not a hmmwv

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:mrgreen: hahahahahahaha yeeessss !!! so you know how it goes most , not all the time ! hahahaha That's so cool :D

by the way, i just realized that i put the question also on the wrong forum....its from the windshield on a deuce and a half....not a hmmwv
I thought it looked a little funny. Just installed windshields on my HMMWV, and the seal didn't look anything like that.

So now I have the windshield done, reverse circuit and working lights, tailgate, license plate bracket and light, and been crawling around underneath it hitting all the grease fittings. Still waiting to get the SF-97 and go convince the licensing office that it's safe to drive. 2 uncles recommended the same licensing office, one owns several commercial trucks, and the other is a cop, and my aunt offered to go with me since she knows the lady behind the counter.

Now just to figure out what to do about the red dot system lying in the truck bed. Obviously it's been disconnected part way, as the lines unscrew pretty easily between the two parts of the unit, but haven't decided yet whether I want to just completely remove it or figure out some way to mount it. Kind of hard to make a decision on that when I haven't even decided what type of cab I'm going to do on it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed the red dot aircon from the truck bed and cab area, need to figure out whether it's safe to leave the compressor installed with the serpentine belt on it or if I should get a different belt until I'm ready to reinstall the rest of the system.

When removing a couple of the wires I saw a bunch of rivnuts in the floors between the seats. Thought they looked like a good place to install some ammo boxes for storage.
Added some eye bolts to the ends of a couple 40mm ammo cans, drilled some holes in the bottom and bolted them to the rivnuts. Should work well enough for locking storage, and they hold a lot more than your average glove box does, especially these days.

IMG_20190701_211522.jpgIMG_20190701_211535.jpgIMG_20190701_211551.jpg

gtboy1986

Been trying to fix my 94 humvee power steering problems though it was the hoses come to find out it's not the hoses, so now I have to remove it to find out where it's leaking from plus found some broken bolts and where my exhaust leak is coming from I have a huge hole in it but at the end of the day I still own a kick ass humvee

Frost0071

Installed my new belt tensioner
IMG_6814.jpg

Also installed the rear bumper and I'm now working on the rear winch
IMG_6815.jpg

By the way during cleaning the HMMWV I found some marking under the paint. I tried to google it but I could not really find something.
I would like to know a little bit more about my HMMWV thanks
IMG_6710.jpgIMG_6712.jpgIMG_6707.jpg

rcamacho

Installed my new belt tensioner
View attachment 769612

Also installed the rear bumper and I'm now working on the rear winch
View attachment 769613

By the way during cleaning the HMMWV I found some marking under the paint. I tried to google it but I could not really find something.
I would like to know a little bit more about my HMMWV thanks
View attachment 769610View attachment 769611View attachment 769609
Love the turnbuckle tensioner mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wire Fox

Decided to straighten up the radiator fins. NG mashed up the top of the transmission cooler and all of the power steering cooler. Now they're nice and orderly (thanks NAPA fin comb!). After that, I dove into replacing the pitman and idler arms, but couldn't quite finish the job (currently stuck on removing the pitman arm from the gearbox). This left my HMMWV currently stuck outside my garage in a heavily walked area, so I left a note on the steering wheel for any nosy people that decide to fidget with my truck while I'm at work.IMG_20190704_144638.jpgIMG_20190704_144644.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

twisted60

4th of July Parade Here in South Florida. Left the flags up for the drive back to the house (about 2 hours, I took the long way to keep the speed down) got a lot of honks and waves. Sorry I took only 1 picture, that's my Humvee in front of the ambulance.
fullsizeoutput_1a9e.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks