• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Rmtaunton

Out with the old IMG_2066.jpgIMG_2067.jpg

In with the new IMG_2075.jpg

And now I need the hydraulic pump, crank pulley and fan , oh and duel voltage regulator

They broken when it was originally pulled let me know if you have any or where to find

Thanks folks

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Rmtaunton

NormB

Changed out the 60A alternator to 200A months ago, got everything assembled, belts tight, etc. Scrounger stopped by for the alternator, I asked him if he thought everything looked right, he thought the belts looked a little loose. So I tinkered w/ them a bit, gauge WAS showing they’d stretched, then they stretched some more.

Tightening the PS pump belt is NOT an easy one-person job. The $15 3-D printed 1/4-20 threaded rod adjuster gadget I got off of ePay broke at about 40 lbs. Worked the first time. So what else? 1/2” breaker bar from the bottom? Just TRY and get a good angle while the truck’s parked, not on a lift; even at that I don’t think it’s easy.

This made it easier:

0775DDCB-1B76-4758-A0B2-7CC0C630607F.jpg

Got the PS belt to 90lbs, then got the alternator/waterpump trio to about 90lbs, give or take about 15 lbs. Meaning the belts, while “matched” don’t all read the same. Within specs, however.

For the generator I used what I did before, a 3/4” round breaker bar with a four-foot galvanized steel pipe I used to adjust barrel alignment on FN-FAL receivers many years ago.

Good to have more than one hobby.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

[h=1]“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. ”[/h]Archimedes

therooster2001

Oil change and tightened up the transmission pan. 12 ft / lbs is not a lot, but the bolts tightened up, hopefully that will stop my minor drips that seem to have developed over the past couple of months.

I did notice that when reversing and applying brakes it felt like more noise then when going forward, but maybe it’s the engine noise drowning it out. Either way, feels like I need to check brakes just to be sure.

I had not been able to drive it for three months. I did miss it.

NormB

I bought a 2" strap wrench to tighten the alternator with 10 years ago. Still works great!
Any particular make/model you recommend? Please don’t say Snap-on.

If I had my life to live over again, I would’ve started buying snap-on tools at yard sales/flea markets when I was 20.

Now? This close to retirement I can’t justify the price for the amount of use I might get and my kids just aren’t hands-on mechanically-inclined enough to deserve an inheritance like that which would likely wind up at a yard sale anyway.

Another Ahab

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a control rod for a rear end of a fully adjustable rear axle. Readily available but "some assembly required" Great idea!!!

Frost0071

That's a pretty work of machining! Did you contract it, or do that yourself?

And are there internal threads of some kind for the loosening. tightening?
Thanks. I made it out of an 1" hex bar and cut some LH and a RH thread for 1/2"-20 ball joints through it which makes it now pretty easy to get belts tensioned.

I might build me version 2.0 sometimes with some little improvements but I don't plan to sell this. If somebody would like to build it I could make a drawing.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I made it out of an 1" hex bar and cut some LH and a RH thread for 1/2"-20 ball joints through it which makes it now pretty easy to get belts tensioned.

I might build me version 2.0 sometimes with some little improvements but I don't plan to sell this. If somebody would like to build it I could make a drawing.
Drawing would be awesome.

Specifically identifying ball joints and source and tap/dyes and source and length of hex rod and source.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks